14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 7:51 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start

Yoropo

Hi,

I just purchased a downloadable copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 13 from Amazon.co.uk - After a successful installation; when starting the application, it asks me to singn in with my Adobe ID to activate the software... which I do, but Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not open. If this helps, I have a 64 bit Windows laptop with 16GB ram.

Please help!

Kind Regards

Yoropo

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
          A.T. Romano Level 7

yoropo

Please try some of the solutions in this Premiere Elements 12 blog post and let us know if any of it works for you in 13.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

After that we will go through the usual questions to try to pin point the core of the problem.

Have you been working with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
            Yoropo Level 1

Hi A.T,

Thanks for your assistance and advice... I did disable my AVAST anti-virus and that didn't help.

Also please find below my full host file (below) from c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

and there is no change.

What would be the way forward please?

Kind Regards

Yoropo

.....................................................................

Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server

#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

# 127.0.0.1       localhost

# ::1             localhost

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
              PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

Could you try to right-click on the file in the desktop and select the "Open Folder location" option? This should take you to the installed location. Run the "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe" in this folder and see if it launched fine. Also check in the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) if the process s already running because an earlier session was not terminated properly.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Yoropo

Let us go through the following check list

1. According to your Device Manage/Display Adapters, what video card/graphics card does your computer use? Is the driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Does your computer use more than 1 video card/graphics card?

2. Are you running the program as Administrator? And do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

3. Are you working with a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

4. Have you explored the Event Viewer to look for entries for errors and information related to the time of these failure to open?

See Computer/Manage/Event Viewer and Windows Log and it Application category.

5. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists.

Make sure the Folder Options is set so that you have no hidden files, folders, and drives.

6. Probably one of your last resorts will be to create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 13 there.

7. We may also try to use tryout Premiere Elements 13 files instead of the ones that you purchased. More on that next.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Yoropo

After I had posted my suggestions in post 4, I saw the post of PRE_help in post 3.

Please try PRE_help's suggestions first.

Thank you.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                    Yoropo Level 1

Hi A.T.

I am sure an answer to my issue will be found... although sometimes frustration is sneaking in :-)

( All the below were executed with my antivirus (AVAST disabled)

1- Yes, I have updated my video card (Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000) driver , as per your advice

2- I have the latest QuickTime Player 7.7.6  installed on my laptop

3- I did have a pen tablet Intuos (Wacom), which I uninstalled

4- I have stop any service related to Adobe Premiere Elements 13

5- I have deleted Adobe Elements 13 folder as advised in:

Local Disk C\Users\Yoropo\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\13.0

6- Also did the same under Temp:

Local disk C\ Users\Yoropo\AppData\Local\Temp

7- I also removed any trace of Adobe Premiere Elements 13 under the registry (regedit from run)

under the following HKEY:

- Classes_Root

- Users

- Local_Machine

- Current_User

8- uninstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 13

9 - rebooted my machine

10 - reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 13

11- re-boot my machine (although not necessary)

12 - Run As Administrator Adobe Premiere Elements 13 from the path in program files.... Still not working

Any other things that I could try... spent few hours on this... looking forward to seeing it working :-)

Kind Regards

Yoropo

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Yoropo

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. Great job.

More comments in the later morning.

For now, the question...Back in post 1 I posted a link to some solutions regarding program not opening.

Part was related to looking at the hosts file which you appear to have done. But, did you ever do the

second part which involved the renaming of the SLCache Folder, and, if the did not work, also renaming

the SLStore Folder?

To be continued

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                        K.P.

I am having a similar problem. Was your issue resolved. I have done everything as stated above. The problem seems to be related to licensing. Also, this issue with not starting of Adobe Premier Elements 13.0 seems to be an issue with a 64-bit computer. When I reinstall on a 32-bit computer I have no issues. It works perfectly.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                          K.P. Level 1

was your issue resolved????

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

K.P.

It is risky business trying to troubleshoot from the thread of another in those situations characterized by "I am having a similar problem."

What are your details --

Please state your specific version of Premiere Elements 13 failing to start...how far do you get

a. you click the desktop icon and nothing happens

b. you get a far as Welcome Screen, click Video Editor/New Project and nothing happens

or

c. other

Additional details...

1. Can we assume that you are trying to use Premiere Elements 13/13.1? If so, what computer operating system?

2. You say that you have gone through the usual drill

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are you running the programs as administrator?

b. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

c. You say that you believed your issue was related to licensing. Why? Did you get a licensing error with a specific code number/name?

If that was the case, did you attempt to use the Adobe Licensing Tool? Adobe - Adobe Licensing Repair Tool

d. Did you get to a stage where you did a product uninstall/reinstall on the computer with which you were working? If so, did you use the routine - uninstall the usual Control Panel way, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled?

CCleaner - Download

What are you using to install Premiere Elements 13 - purchased download installation files for 64 bit computer from Adobe or purchased boxed packaging of the product (installation discs)? Besides 32 vs 64 bit, what are the differences between the 64 bit computer with the problem and the 32 bit computer that does not have the problem?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                              K.P. Level 1

Hi ATR,

Before I begin let me give you my computer specs:

Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States)

Installed: 11/1/2012 2:36:33 PM

Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot

---

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4930K

32 kilobyte primary memory cache

256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

12288 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (6 total)

Hyper-threaded (12 total)

----

Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS Rev 1.xx

Serial Number: 140323193800188 Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 4802 06/02/2015

-----

8134 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

-----

Latest software for the GTX980

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 [Display adapter]

DELL 2408WFP [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n XX-0G283H-

XXXXX-94K-1H4S, April 2009)

--------------

I have two licensed copies (two sets of boxed software with different licenses) of Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 / Adobe Premier Elements 13. This computer which is having issues is a Win 7 64-bit computer. The Win 7 32-bit computer is running one copy of the  Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 / Adobe Premier Elements 13 with no problems. On the 64-bit machine the  Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 is running perfectly with over 200,000 pictures and video clips. The only problem I'm having is with  Adobe Premier Elements 13.

When I double click the Adobe Premier Elements 13 icon on the Win 7 desktop, a window opens and tells me "Sign In Required". So I agree and proceed. The next screen asks for my email and password. I enter the information and another screen comes up which has the Adobe Software License Agreement. I select Accept and then the window closes and nothing happens. I checked on the Windows Task Manager under applications and process and there is nothing. It basically dies.

I tried the solutions above for renaming the SLCache Folder and the SLStore Folder with no luck.

Thanks, KP

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

K.P.

Thanks for the reply with details.

1. What happens if you right click the desktop Premiere Elements 13 icon, select and apply Run As Administrator, and then double click the desktop Premiere Elements 13 icon to open the program? Same Sign In Required message?

2. What happens if you go to

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 13

and find specifically the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, right click it, select and apply Run As Administrator, and the double click that file to open the program? Same Sign In Required message?

3. Have you had an opportunity to try the Adobe Licensing Tool? Also, have you gone through the check list in post 10. Probably an almost last resort might be to create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 13 from there.

Let us see the outcome of the above and then we can consider 3 and/or other troubleshooting for this issue.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                                  K.P. Level 1

Hi ATR,

Did as you requested.

1. Same sign in Required Message

2. Same sign In Required Message

3. Tried Licensing Tool.  Same sign in Required Message

4. Checked on Adobe.com website to see if my product was registered. It said Yes.

Check list from Post 10.

1. Can we assume that you are trying to use Premiere Elements 13/13.1? If so, what computer operating system? 13.1 / Win 7

2. You say that you have gone through the usual drill. Done Post 1 and 2 and others.

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are you running the programs as administrator? Yes

b. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Yes

c. You say that you believed your issue was related to licensing. Why? Did you get a licensing error with a specific code number/name? Guess

If that was the case, did you attempt to use the Adobe Licensing Tool? Adobe - Adobe Licensing Repair Tool

d. Did you get to a stage where you did a product uninstall/reinstall on the computer with which you were working? If so, did you use the routine - uninstall the usual Control Panel way, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled? Yes. No luck there too.

CCleaner - Download

Thanks, KP

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 failing to start
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

K.P.

Thanks for the update and exploring the troubleshooting. Sorry that the solution was not found.

Have you explored creating a new user account with administrative privileges and installing and trying to run Premiere Elements 13 from that?

Let us go for new installation materials for Premiere Elements 13 on this Windows 7 64 bit computer.

a. Have you tried to install and run each license on the problem Windows 7 64 bit setup?

Deactivation, but not uninstall, would only be necessary for the test.

b. Use installation files from either place and insert your purchased serial number in them during installation when requested.

Other downloads

or

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

Also, what is the difference in video cards/graphics cards between the two computers - the Window 7 64 bit and the other computer where one of the licenses is assumed to be running OK? Would a driver roll back be a consideration?

Please review the above to make sure that the suggestions are on course with your issue and that I have interpreted your details correctly.

Thanks.

ATR