10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 3:08 PM by A.T. Romano

Removing black bars down sides of clip?

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I am editing a movie clip in Premier Elements 11. It's a 25fps file. I did not film the clip, but was told that it was a normal (not widescreen) PAL clip. The clip looks like this when I am editing it (screenshot).

What concerns me are those two thick black bars down both sides of the clip. What causes them, please? Is it that the clip was really widescreen and I am editing it in normal mode and how best to remove them as I imagine they will be visible when the final product is show on a DVD or TV.

blackbars.png

Many thanks.

Steve

• 1. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH159

The following is what I suspect to be at the core of your problem.

For some reason, the project has not appeared to have recognized the properties of your source media to set the right

project preset.

Please open a new project to its Expert workspace.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, select the project preset = PAL DV Standard. OK out of there.

You should now see the new project dialog. In the new projec dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project". OK out of there

Back in the Expert workspace, go to Add Media/Files and Folders/ to import your video. When it is in Project Assets, drag it to the Timeline Video 1/Audio 1.

How does it now present in the Edit area monitor?

The project preset needs to be set correctly by the project (automatically) or you (manually).

Please review and consider. If the above does not resolve the problem, then we will need more details including the full properties of the source video

and the actual project settings that have been established by you or the project.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Many thanks for your reply.

It sounds sensible! I will try it tomorrow (I won't be at that PC until then) and I will then post back.

Much appreciated again.

Steve

• 3. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
              SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have changed the settings as you suggested:

Change_settings.jpg

and now see this on the Timeline:

Black_frame.jpg

Shouldn't that image/video clip stretch to the full width/height so that the black frame is removed?

Thanks again.

Steve

• 4. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, if the project preset that you set manually was correct, then there should be no black borders.

So let us explore the why not.

1. Go to Expert workspace Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for this file that you find there. In the pop up

menu that appears, select Properties. What does Properties list for Frame Size, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio?

By suggest project preset was a guess at what you described as

I did not film the clip, but was told that it was a normal (not widescreen) PAL clip.

Also, please have Edit Menu/Preferences/General set with a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

Looking forward to your follow up and additional details to resolve the issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
                  SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

The Properties pop-up looks like this:

Properties.jpg

Frame size = 720 x 576

Frame Rate = 25

Pixel Aspect Ratio = 1.0940

And I have the Default Scale to Frame Size checked:

Scale.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

• 6. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Summary

Thanks for the great information which is pointing at how your source video was created.

You appear to have a match between video properties and project preset description and still have black borders.

Solution: Scale the video in the Edit area monitor just to the point where the black borders are gone.

Details

If you have a PAL DV Standard or PAL Hard Disk Flash Memory/Standard 48 kHz project preset and have

a video import with matching properties, then you should not be seeing black borders in the video display in the

Edit area monitor.

The only explanation that I think is probable is that the person who gave you the video intentionally or unintentionally

exported without the proper scaling in the Edit area before exporting.

At this point, then you scaling up the video to eliminate the black borders is the answer. Click on one of the handles

of the bounding box and drag out just to the point where the black borders are gone. Depending on the export destination

more consideration needs to be addressed with the giver of the video regarding creating titles within the Safety Limits for

text.

Please review and consider and then let us know if what I suspect is likely.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
                      SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

That has now worked out all fine!

I did as you suggested and just dragged the clip out and it filled the entire area previously occupied by that thick black frame.

I have to do something similar with another clip, so hopefully I have learnt something!

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Steve

• 8. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the wonderful news that you removed the black borders that you ran into in your Premiere Elements project.

Great job of sorting through the troubleshooting suggestions to get to your success.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification.

Follow up is important in this learning and sharing environment and appreciated by all.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Removing black bars down sides of clip?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kissakikai

In your other thread

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1705170

I wrote

For now my messages to you will have to be read only because of the reply issues.

1.  Please go to your home computer (no mobile device). In the browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer), type in the Adobe address http://www.adobeforums.com, sign in there with your Adobe ID and Password. Go to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum where you search for and find your thread. Open the thread and try to reply to one of my messages by clicking the Reply button. Do you now see the Reply button to do that whereas before you could not.

2. Also, go to your browser's Options/Advanced/Network and its Cached Web content and clear the Cached Web content.

3. If you need to use a mobile device for communicating with the forum, do you have another mobile device that you could try to use?

After you send the reply, if it arrives with no message as before, that will tell us that the above were not the answer for that problem.

As for the Premiere Elements 13.1 Update, we will move on that as soon as possible when you can report back on what worked or did not.

Do not give up.

You have just sent another reply without a message in it. So, I am concluding that none of the above has solved the posting problem. I meant for you to reply in

your own thread, but that is OK because we are going to try for another communication route to workaround the posting in the thread problem.

Let us try the troubleshooting using the Adobe Private Message system. Later when we resolve the problems, then we can write back in the forum thread

to let everyone know the outcome.

In post 8 of this thread, click on my ID AT Romano. That will open my profile page. Look to the right to find an orange envelope. Click on the orange envelop

to open to an emailing area. For now, just try to send a quick message, like "I am here." If that works, we will continue with details back and forth until we

gain success with all the problems.. If that does not work, then post again in this thread. Another blank reply here will tell me that you sent the email which I did not get.

Thank you.

ATR