6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 7:36 PM by paulcommentary

When migrating from Aperture to LightRoom, the migration plugin only imported JPEG files and not the RAW files, how can I input the RAW's into the correct project folders?

Simon_Atterbury Level 1

Ok in more detail, have spent 7 hours importing my Aperture library into Light Room. At the end of the process I noticed a discrepancy in files sizes between the Master files folder on the Aperture Package folder and my new LightRoom projects folders of around 40%. When comparing the folders by date, none of the RAW files were copied over.

Does anyone know how I can import the RAW files so they reside in the same project folders as the JPEG's with out having to manually copy 1000's of files? I subsequently read that when importing from a camera archive on an SD card you have the option to "Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate pictures". This option was not presented when importing from the Aperture Library and being an Aperture user, it would not even cross your mind that you can't import both file types together.

Many thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions.

Simon

• 1. Re: When migrating from Aperture to LightRoom, the migration plugin only imported JPEG files and not the RAW files, how can I input the RAW's into the correct project folders?
          photo-enthusiast Level 1

Simon,

Based on my understanding of the Aperture plugin and your library, the raw files should have been copied.

Aperture maintains master files as managed (located under Masters within the Aperture library package), and referenced, which is anywhere outside the package.  An Aperture library can contain a mix of these two, and the migration result depends on the file system location as determined by Aperture.

When you migrate, all "managed" files should be copied to the designated location, whether they be JPEG masters or RAW.  Sounds like all your images are managed, and should have been copied.  If I remember correctly, you have the choice to copy "referenced" masters to the new location as with all the "managed" masters, or leave them in place.

Finally, you have the option to copy Aperture previews.  This is a problem I've seen, where it doesn't copy all Aperture previews.  In my tests, it has copied all compatible master files, such as CR2/NEF and JPEG--it just doesn't copy all the Aperture previews.

One suggestion:  Try "relocating masters" all images to outside your library.  Make sure you choose a folder/file naming convention that you can live with in Aperture once you export.  You don't have that option with managed masters, which is the sole reason I plan to relocate all my masters from my library with managed masters.   If I can only work past the other bugs…  That should work for you.  If it then, again, doesn't import all your images, you can run an import directly against this external data store.  Not ideal, you might lose metadata, but you would not miss images.

• 2. Re: When migrating from Aperture to LightRoom, the migration plugin only imported JPEG files and not the RAW files, how can I input the RAW's into the correct project folders?
            Simon_Atterbury Level 1

Many thanks for your reply. Having had another good look through a few dozen Aperture masters folders and compared them to the imports into Light Room. It now looks like a random selection of RAW files have been copied across but probably no more than 2%-5%. There seems no reasons for this.

The reason I decided to move from Aperture to Light Room was Apples decision to abandon it and it becoming increasingly unreliable. However it looks as though Light Room is just as buggy. I'll try relocating the masters as you suggest whien I can find a spare day. In the meann time I'll have to stick to Aperture until the bugs in Light Room are fixed.

I'll keep watching this forum in case Adobe come up with a fix.

Again many thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll report on this forum any updates.

• 3. Re: When migrating from Aperture to LightRoom, the migration plugin only imported JPEG files and not the RAW files, how can I input the RAW's into the correct project folders?
              chrisrobo

Hi Simon,

I am experiencing the same issue.  I tested an import from one of my Aperture libraries (189 GB) and ended up with a Lightroom folder that contains only JPEG's (31.66 GB).  As I routinely shoot RAW+JPEG on a Fuji, and oftentimes will use the JPEG that came out of the camera, I like Aperture's way of handling RAW+JPEG pairs.  Considering this, I'd really like to find a way for Lightroom to import both RAW and JPEG files and keep them together so that I can use the RAW instead if I need to.

Did you figure out how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Christian

• 4. Re: When migrating from Aperture to LightRoom, the migration plugin only imported JPEG files and not the RAW files, how can I input the RAW's into the correct project folders?
                Tomsheck

I have been paying for the adobe photography subscription for almost 12 months and with news of an aperture import utility have decided to import a large libriary from a 7 week trip in Lightroom.  It ran much faster than anticipated, however most raw files were missing and the whole project structure was corrupted with names such a location name Singapore now appearing just as S.

The ability to import cleanly from one application to another was key - how what has been offered here by Adobe falls way short of an acceptable standard and seems to require substantial rework - possibly more than starting from first principles.

Adobe, this is extremely disappointing.  I will have to run more test and waste time to see whether I can find a way of suing Lightroom.  However, whilst recognising that in terms of adjustments Lightroom / photoshop are a steps ahead of Aperture, overall I see Lightroom as a very clunky application lacking the intuitiveness that I come to expect as an apple user.

Regards,

Tom

• 5. Re: When migrating from Aperture to LightRoom, the migration plugin only imported JPEG files and not the RAW files, how can I input the RAW's into the correct project folders?
                  1000ipa Level 1

Hello Simon,

I successfully imported my Aperture library with all keywords and ratings intact into Lightroom (or so I thought) several weeks ago but eventually discovered this problem. After the initial import, I invested a lot of time using its more powerful cataloguing strategies to clean up my library. During that period I added several batches of newly captured images directly from my camera, (I shoot RAW + jpg) and all were all imported, no problem. I was able to work on these RAW images without problem, but eventually I looked for one of my previously imported images and discovered that only the jpgs had been imported during the initial transfer.

I connected with via Chat with someone from Adobe's tech support who took over via screen sharing. Disappointingly, his strategy was to trash all the Lightroom images and re-import from Aperture (losing all the work I had recently done). He did this via screen sharing and eventually all my images were restored. That took overnight to accomplish, but I was pretty confident that because an Adobe tech support person was doing it, the problem would be solved.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. Nothing is different, except for having lost all my sorting work plus the RAW files from my most recent imports (though fortunately, I have been importing in parallel to Aperture too - just in case). All the jpgs are there, but no RAWs (that I notice, though it may be that there are a few as others have noted).

Obviously, this is a major problem for me that I must resolve before continuing with Lightroom, which otherwise seems wonderfully powerful and vastly improved over Aperture. I'm really hoping that someone will help resolve this and I find it hard to believe that Adobe wouldn't have been made aware of this and corrected it long before now.

As a P.S., I must also mention that I initially found learning Lightroom a bit overwhelming. Kudos to Phil Steele's video "Lightroom made Easy," which was just what I needed. Now if only I can get my RAW files into Lightroom (without losing all the keywords applied in Aperture) so I can continue to enjoy its benefits.