6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2015 3:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?

SusieBird

I apologize for not being able to find this answer on my own but can anybody please answer this:  Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?

• 1. Re: Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?
          whsprague Level 4

Wikipedia:  "Royalty-free, or RF, refers to the right to use copyrighted material or intellectual property without the need to pay royalties or license fees for each use or per volume sold, or some time period of use or sales." 

You may be granted "Royalty Free" rights at no charge or pay for it.  "Royalty Free" music sites often have multiple prices.  Individual use will be much cheaper than corporate use. 

This is a Premier Elements forum, not a Premier Pro or Audition forum.  But, if Adobe labels tracks provided with those programs and calls them "Royalty Free", and does not list restrictions, you can use it for what you want.

Another approach is called "Creative Commons".  Basically, you can be granted use of creative work if you provide appropriate credits.  It helps spread and artist's fame.   Creative Commons "licenses" have several versions and can also be confusing. 

• 2. Re: Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?
            SusieBird Level 1

Thanks so much for the answer Whsprague!  Actually I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements which comes with 50 pieces of music (located in audio at the bottom of the workspace) that are listed as royalty free but after looking at many music sites, many grant permission under the label "royalty free" to use the music for free but only for noncommercial use.  If the project is for commercial use, then you must pay a fee to use the copyrighted material.  Adobe has copyrighted all their material and grants its royalty free use but I don't see any mention of commercial use anywhere.  I may call them tomorrow.  Thanks again for your response!

• 3. Re: Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SusieBird

Are you using any version of Premiere Elements? Or, is it that you are really asking about some version of Premiere Pro and Audition?

If the latter, please refer to

Premiere Pro CC

Audition CS5.5, CS6 & CC

In the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum in which your thread has been posted, it has always been written by others (Bill Hunt, Steve Grisetti) that

Premiere Elements users can use Premiere Elements assets for commercial projects. I do not use Audition, so I cannot speak to the Audition situation.

We are a user to user forum here and not Adobe. The ultimate answers on this would be from Adobe itself to avoid what is written and what is written between

the lines.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SusieBird

I did not see your post numbered 2 until I have posted my reply number 3.

Your comment in your reply..

I may call them tomorrow.

supports my concluding remark in this user to user forum

The ultimate answers on this would be from Adobe itself to avoid what is written and what is written between

the lines.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?
                  SusieBird Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Thanks so much for your response.  I'm using Premiere elements 13, and I'm a new user... I'm just learning how to use it.  I only included Audition in my question because from what I can see, they have the same music.  I don't have much experience with these blogs but it's my understanding that I am asking users if they know the answer to commercial use of the music included with the program.  I appreciate your response, and the other, but I really haven't gotten a clear answer to my question.  That's why I say I'll call adobe tomorrow.  I get the impression that is a bad thing to say.  I'm not trying to cause offense, just looking for a clear answer before I use a particular piece of music. 

Thanks again!

All the best,

Susie

• 6. Re: Can Adobe Premiere and Audition "Royalty Free" music files be used for "commercial" projects?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Susie

In the type of situation that you present, it is important to your work to verify the legal information with the source, Adobe. No offense should be taken to that.

Trying to get a clear and legal answer from Adobe is to be commended. Often the Adobe Licensing Agreement needs the interpretation that users cannot give.

ATR