• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom workspace panels location jumps off screen after running Mac Yosemite 10.10.2 update

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

In October 2014 I purchased Adobe CS6 and set up custom workspaces for Illustrator and Photoshop. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro connected to a Thunderbolt Display, and I use the Thunderbolt screen for my main work area, and the MBP to host my custom workspace panel arrangements.

They look like this, respectively:

Illustrator:

Illustrator_workspace_normal.png

Photoshop:

Photoshop_workspace_normal.png

Last night, I left both Photoshop and Illustrator open and my MBP on before going to bed. When I went to do some work today, I saw a notification that Mac OS X Yosemite had auto updated to 10.10.2, and had rebooted. When it rebooted, it reopened both Photoshop and Illustrator, however, my workspace panels now look like this:

Illustrator_workspace_messedup.pngPhotoshop_workspace_smessedup.png

Any attempt to snap them back to their original position is futile, because they always snap back to this mid-screen position when either switching back and forth between applications, or whenever I try to use any of those panels. It's frustrating because I can't make them stay put!

I tried restarting my Mac, and then tried a hard shutdown and restart. Issue persisted. I then thought my Adobe prefs might be corrupt, so I trashed the prefs files for both applications. That didn't fix it, either. I then tried renaming my custom workspaces. That didn't work. I also tried deleting my custom workspaces, and then rebuilding them from scratch, and the problem still persists.

So, I called Apple, since this issue arose directly after this Yosemite update, and after a two-hour call — during which we zapped PRAM, and repaired the disk in safe boot mode — and after consultation with a senior advisor, the tech's only advice was to reach out to Adobe, since *technically* this is an issue happening from within an Adobe application.

Of course, Adobe does not support non CC-related software by phone or email, so, here I am.

So... has anyone come across this issue? TBH, I'm convinced something happened during the Yosemite update, since both apps were left open — AND my Yosemite experience has been nothing but frustrating ever since I bought my MBP.

Aside from reinstalling CS6 (which I feel like I might have to do at this point), any help you guys could give me would be most appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and set up a new user account (Admin) on that computer. Run Illustrator from that account.

If it doesn't work, uninstall, run the cleaner tool and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just tried logging on as a test Admin user, opening Illustrator, and rebuilding my workspace panels. Once I set my panels in place, I saved this custom workspace, and when I clicked on one of the panel items, the entire panel grouping popped itself partially off-screen again.

I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Illustrator and Photoshop, rebuilding and saving my custom workspace panels, and AGAIN, the entire panel grouping pops partially off-screen.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just tried reinstalling Yosemite, and that didn't help either.

I'm going to try reinstalling Yosemite 10.10.1 BUT NOT the 10.10.2 update — which is when this issue started happening — to see if this issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone following along with this saga, I reinstalled OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, but did not run the recent 10.10.2 update. As of right now, this fixed the problem. I still need to run a few tests, but this confirms my suspicion that this is ABSOLUTELY A YOSEMITE UPDATE BUG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just ran into this issue today glad i found this post! any more updates appreciated - - - i guess i should go back to 10.10.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you found it, too! Yeah, you should definitely try going back to 10.10.1.

Since I downgraded, the problems have completely gone away.

And do yourself — and other Mac users — a favor and report this bug to Apple. I was on the phone for hours arguing with both main level and senior level advisors at Apple, and they kept trying to pass this off as an Adobe issue (since technically, the problem was occurring from within Adobe products). They were unwilling to recognize the uncanny coincidence that the two applications that were left open on my computer during the Yosemite auto-update were the very ones affected.

The more people report bugs, and Apple starts to see trends, the quicker they will be to release future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your info, I've been having the same issue all day - and apple gave me the same "contact adobe its technically not our problem" solution. Looks like I'll have to try to go back to 10.10 too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

If you folks do go back to 10.10.1, please come in here and report your results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a relatively new machine and haven't set up time machine yet - so i was unable to revert to 10:10:1    That'll teach me!

The only other solution we were able to come up with is mirroring screens as a temporary work around - they are sending the issue to their engineers as a "feature loss issue" and have scheduled a followup with me for 4 days from now. I'll check back in when I know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Littlesquish, Time Machine is definitely helpful as a precautionary safety net just in the very rare case that something goes wrong. But honestly, restarting your Mac by pressing command + R (to go into Recovery Mode) and reinstalling OS X Yosemite on the prompt is actually pretty easy, and you won't lose any of your 3rd party software, files, or user-specific data. I mean, for all intents and purposes, your user experience remains exactly the same — except that you'll be running a previous version of OS X again, and you'll no longer have jumping workspace panels in Adobe products.

When you do this reinstall, it'll install Yosemite 10.10.1. Once that's up and running, and your Adobe life has returned to some normalcy, just don't update to 10.10.2 through the app store, or ignore the software updates when they push to your notification center.

I mean, if you're concerned about losing any data (you never know, something *could* go wrong in the reinstall), just start a time machine backup right now. This may take a while, depending on how much you have stored on your hard drive; mine took 9 hrs. Once that's done, then go into Recovery Mode and reinstall OS X. THAT part is easy, and relatively quick; maybe an hour + 20/30 mins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been on the phone with multiple apple senior advisors and FINALLY got one that was able to help.

System Preferences > Display > arrangement

Drag the white bar from your laptop display blue screen, to the blue screen that you want the adobe program to function properly in, and suddenly, all is well.

I'm hoping it will remain so... and hopefully this helps everyone else as well!! Good luck!!!

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 1.50.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg, THANK YOU littlesquish! Making my Thunderbolt display the default in System Prefs seems to have worked!

I have experienced massive issues with Illustrator CC on my Thunderbolt monitors (but not on the main laptop screen) on two different Macbook Pro machines that got upgraded to 10.10.2, plus three different Thunderbolt monitors. Unfortunately for me, my Time Machine backup is not available, so I apparently can't downgrade to 10.10. I tried to go back to Illustrator CS6, but that didn't fix anything. I uninstalled CC, trashed the prefs, I restored my OS by restarting with Command-R, and an hour later, still the same.

Illustrator CC and CS6 have both been displaying a lot of glitches, mostly with the design file windows collapsing and disappearing from both screens, but also with menus from tool palettes appearing disconnectedly on my laptop screen when the tool palettes are located on my Thunderbolt monitor. Basically, I bought myself a Thunderbolt monitor to use with Illustrator, where 80% of my work is done, only to have it not function. My Finder windows sure look pretty up there, while my design file is stuck on my smaller Macbook screen.

C'mon Apple and Adobe... work it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I think you may have nailed it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this.... MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues - Apple Support

Not sure if it is related to this issue or not.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks "littlesquish" for this update, it worked temporarily but now the behavior has returned and back-grading seems the only option...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks glad I found this, as I have wasted enough time on this.  I can finally check off one of the many "screen" issues that have come about after the apple update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mirroring then unmirroring your displays seems to fix the issue temporarily. You'll need to then drag your palettes back to their proper display, and you'll need to do this each time you launch CS apps. Serious OS bug, serious pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌ARRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!

MY computer auto updated to 10.10.2 AGAIN last night! And once again, this update caused erratic behavior in my CS apps.

So, the first thing I did was to go to System Preferences > App Store, and turn off auto updates.

Then I figured I could repeat the steps I took yesterday, and restore my system back to 10.10.1. I went into recovery mode and reinstalled OS X. Much to my chagrin, it reinstalled to 10.10.2. Seems that while I was able to go back to 10.10.1 yesterday through recovery mode, I must've been in a very narrow window of availability for this version of Yosemite. It's now no longer possible to go back to 10.10.1 via recovery mode.

SOoooooooo, my only two options now are to recover from my last Time Machine backup (thank god I did this yesterday while I was happily back in 10.10.1), or to do Internet Recovery, which restores the Mac OS to what was originally installed on the machine at purchase.

I chose to recover from my last Time Machine backup, since doing it through Internet Recovery would put me at Yosemite 10.10, and I had a LOT of wifi problems with that one.

So far, I'm 5 hrs into my Time Machine restore, with about 45 mins. to go. I'm praying this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keyboard shortcut for toggling mirror mode: CMD + F1

I know this still leaves the palette rearrangement issue, but thought I'd share for those who might not've picked this one up yet.

Might save a minute of time versus clicking through settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem with CS6 after 10.10.2 upgrade.  I use my MBP and Thunderbolt display, Workaround, I change the arrangement where the top of the Macbook and the top of the Thunderbolt match and it works. (but not how I like it... but it's a workaround until......)  It has also affected my Wacom Pro Intous, in LR5 it will not allow the pen to move above, at the same upper position that CS6 get stuck in.  Does anyone know is CC has this issue?

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to install CC just to see if didn't have the issue - but it did. I also had the problem of apple automatically updating to 10.10.2 shortly after I had restored due to me forgetting about automatic updates - - -

my current setup (15" rmbp + 24" Dell 4k display) leaves me with 2 solutions :

1) work in clamshell mode with the rmbp closed which appears to avoid the issues or

2) do as mentioned in the previous comment and in the 'Displays' section of system preferences, move the 'menu bar' to the external display making it the 'main display' which also has seemed to avoid the issue as well.

It appears the issue mainly arised when i was moving CS6 applications to my external display - while the 2 solutions above have seemed to solve the problem for now. Reporting a bug with Apple is also something everyone should do to ensure this is looked into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Apple doesn't want to hear it.

When my system once again auto updated yesterday, and my Adobe experience reverted to frustration, I called Apple to report the bug. Despite clear evidence that 10.10.2 directly negatively affects the behavior of Adobe products, they once again tried to pass this off as an Adobe issue. The response I got was basically, "Apple is moving forward, and it's the responsibility of third party software companies like Adobe to be on board."

While I feel like this is a very absolutist standpoint — especially considering how buggy Yosemite has been since its launch — maybe there's some validity to it, considering these bugs are also apparent in CC.

Maybe Adobe can issue out some sort of patch...? And not just for CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response on CC.  This saves me time and dollars.

Just my opinion but Apple does not care anymore, even if you have AppleCare on all your products.  They use to but not anymore.  I have resorted to praying to Steve Jobs to help us fix it, this may prove to work faster and better.  LOL  I have loved Apple and it's new free OS version updates, but I will not move past Yosemite, for a very long time.  And If I could go back to Mavericks with out countless hours of work, I would.  All the reasons I switched to Apple is quickly vanishing.  It may time for me to sell some of my "AAPL". 

What I relied on very heavily is Back to My Mac, and Yosemite, shut me down fast, and now it works but not reliable.

My iCloudDrive has not worked since it's conception for me, and I am in contact with Apple 2x a week and they still can't resolve it.

LR5 Standalone seams to be ok, unless I use my Wacom Intuos Tablet on the thunderbolt display, then it goes crazy, much like CS6.  This does tell me it's Apple doing, and I guess the adobe and Wacom will have to respond, with patches.

As I use CS6, and LR5 daily, I do pray that a fix come soon, thanks for all the input on this form, was excited to find it.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happening on dual monitors. Every time I would click one of the page spreads in indesign, ALL of my palettes would jump halfway down the screen.

I fixed it by unchecking "Displays have separate Spaces" from the Mission Control panel in System Preferences.

Hope this helps someone.

screen.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines