13 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 12:10 PM by stevenr83621007

Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?

dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

I'm sure I remember AE being able to import raw still files in years past (AE 7/8 era) but lately I get an error when I try to import files from a Nikon or Canon:

After Effects error: File couldn't be opened for writing: .. (3::0)

I've run the sequences through Lightroom to create sidecar XML files to see if that would help the process but no luck. At the moment I have to convert to PSD or TIFF and go from there, but that's not an ideal workflow.

Is there any trick to importing raw files into AE, or can it not be done? I'm running the latest CC version. Cheers

• 1. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you much without exact file and system info. You have not told us what cameras you actually use. That said, there could be any number of issues from bad metadata in the files to several current bugs in LR/ Camera Raw preventing correct application of parametric adjustments or not updating file previews and whatnot...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
            bogiesan Level 4

PaulM-Aus wrote:

I've run the sequences through Lightroom to create sidecar XML files to see if that would help the process but no luck. At the moment I have to convert to PSD or TIFF and go from there, but that's not an ideal workflow.

I just imported a bunch of NEFs into AE. No problem. Adobe's Photoshop raw convertor opens up first on each one so adjustments can be made. I don't have any Canon rigs so can't help you there.

However, I do not find importing NEFs ideal at all. The files are huge at 44M, way larger than necessary for anything I can imagine doing, even in 4k. I'd much rather be using full size jpeg versions of these NEFs.

Why do you want to use the raw images?

• 3. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
              dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2
              Nobody can tell you much without exact file and system info. You have not told us what cameras you actually use. That said, there could be any number of issues from bad metadata in the files to several current bugs in LR/ Camera Raw preventing correct application of parametric adjustments or not updating file previews and whatnot...

Nikon D3/D4 and Canon 5D Mk2 specifically. Running AE 2014.2 on OSX 10.10.2. Camera Raw is 8.7.1.311. I've tried importing the NEF and CR2 files straight from the card dumps into AE and also via Lightroom after making some tweaks with no luck. DNG's work fine.

I just imported a bunch of NEFs into AE. No problem. Adobe's Photoshop raw convertor opens up first on each one so adjustments can be made. I don't have any Canon rigs so can't help you there.

However, I do not find importing NEFs ideal at all. The files are huge at 44M, way larger than necessary for anything I can imagine doing, even in 4k. I'd much rather be using full size jpeg versions of these NEFs.

Why do you want to use the raw images?

Hmm, strange. I've tried on a few machines at work, all running the same version of CC and OSX. No dice.

The project is a time lapse with a lot of night to day so ideally I'd like to do most of my WB and exposure corrections live in AE if possible. It's not the end of the world if I had to convert to JPEG or DNG but it would be nice to have the option to work native.

• 4. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                bogiesan Level 4

PaulM-Aus wrote:

The project is a time lapse with a lot of night to day so ideally I'd like to do most of my WB and exposure corrections live in AE if possible. It's not the end of the world if I had to convert to JPEG or DNG but it would be nice to have the option to work native.

You can batch the images in Lightroom or PS and make color correction one at a time. Or you can import the jpeg sequence and keyframe color adjustments in Premiere or AE.

There are a few time-lapse forums where AE, Premiere, and Speedgrade are assumed to be the everyday tools and are discussed regularly. I don't visit any of those sites any longer and have deleted the URLs but they can't be too hard to find. I think one was called timescapes. I think you're going to find lots of folks are shooting timelapse with DSLRs and they all have the same issues and they are congenial and friendly.

• 5. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                  dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

Okay, just finished a chat with support. During the testing we could bring in a folder of individual NEF and CR2 files by clicking import at the folder (not file) level, but trying to import specific raw file or ticking the image sequence box and I get the original error message. I never tried the folder method because, frankly, it's no use to me for this workflow. The support member stated you cannot bring in raw image sequences in After Effects, just still images. I swear I've been able to import raw image sequences into previous versions of AE. Does anyone else remember doing this or can currently do this?

• 6. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                    Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Paul McDonald wrote:

The support member stated you cannot bring in raw image sequences in After Effects, just still images.

This is incorrect. You can indeed import supported camera raw files as an image sequence.

I'm sorry you were given incorrect information. Do you have the case number from your support chat? I will follow up with our support group.

I would be grateful if you could post samples of the .NEF and .CR2 files you are working with, so that I could try them on my machine. Two of each would be preferable (thus forming a crude sequence), but one of each is fine if there are storage or bandwidth constraints.

• 7. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                      dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

Thanks Tim, appreciate the follow up. I uploaded a couple of sequences and was just about to send you the link but after downloading the files to do one last check they worked! So after a little more testing it turns out I can only import a raw sequence from a local drive - for some reason it won't work off a network drive. Unfortunately our workflow (project shares, backup tasks, etc) means we have to work off this network share so I'll do the convert to DNG workaround for now. So there you go. It's a bit bizarre because LR and PS have no issue opening the same network raw files, but just a limitation of AE I guess.

• 8. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                        Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Paul, thanks for following up.

I tested importing camera raw file types from a network drive and replicated the problem. It only happens on Mac OS X 10.10; on Mac OS X 10.8 and 10.9 I do not get this problem with After Effects. Also, it doesn't occur with some of the DNG files I tested, though it does with others. I'll file a bug.

We will need to investigate further as to what changed in Mac OS X 10.10, but thanks for providing the details.

• 9. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                          dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

Thanks Tim, champion.

Not surprising re: Yosemite. We've found it messed with a lot of our networking setups. SMB connections were causing all sorts of permission errors locking users out of directories and files, AFP connections are sometimes VERY slow to update Premiere timeline thumbnails. I've rolled our office back to AFP for the time being (lesser of two evils...) but I look forward to Apple sorting the networking protocols out once and for all.

• 10. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                            agentirons

Hi, Tim,

Has there been any progress on this bug? I am experiencing the same issue on OS X 10.10 with After Effects CC 2014 and a network drive. I also submitted a bug report just now.

• 11. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What exact version of Mac OS?

• 12. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                                agentirons Level 1

OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

I also just tested it with CC 2015, and found that I could successfully drag a single .cr2 from the network to the project window to import it, but got the error message when using the import file dialog to select either the same file or the whole sequence.

• 13. Re: Can AE import .CR2  or .NEF files?
                                  stevenr83621007

I'm having the same issue trying to build a time lapse out of stills using the photoshop video timeline feature. I've never had this issue in before and I've built several time lapses using this process in the past. Here's my info:

Camera: Canon 5D Mk III

Mac OS 10.11.4 (Computer bought mid 2015)

Files are .CR2

Photoshop CC 2015

When I try to use "Layer > Video Layers > New Video Layer from File..." to build my time lapse  from .CR2 stills I receive and error message that reads "Could not complete the New Video Layer from File command because the footage is not a recognized format." How can I fix this?