9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 6:22 AM by Dave Merchant

How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?

Paulus.D Level 1

I urgently need to create more space on my hard drive which is almost full and want to move off client work onto a storage drive.

How can I move images and related catalogs to do this, plus have the facility to upload them in the future should I need to do it??

• 1. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
          dj_paige Level 9

The photos are to remain imported into Lightroom, there's no need (and it would be a poor practice) to remove them from Lightroom so you can "upload them in the future".

You simply need to move the photos. You can do this in Lightroom via dragging and dropping in Lightroom to a new drive, or by moving the photos in your operating system and then reconnecting in Lightroom via these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

In the future, to avoid this problem, you could import the photos directly to the storage drive instead of your computers internal drive.

• 2. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
            Paulus.D Level 1

Thanks DJ, that'll save my bacon!

But I note the authors note in Tip 4:

"*Tip 4: Whether using Mac or Windows I recommend that you do not move

photos or folders from within Lightroom. "...* especially via *dragging and

dropping* in Lightroom to a new drive.

That makes sense so I'll just move them to a new drive externally to LR and

then remap/relocate them after from with in LR.

As these images come from within a large year 2104 catalog, I would like to

save them so a separate  catalog along with the files  themselves. Is there

an easy way to do that?

Cheers,

Paul

• 3. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paulus.D wrote:

an easy way to do that?

Select them, and use File > Export as Catalog.

However, I recommend you don't do this. The pictures can be in different places, but there's no point fragmenting control of the pictures and workflow, which is what happens when you split up a catalogue. LR can handle large catalogues (I work with one that's > 500k pictures) and has no cross-catalogue features, so you wouldn't be able to find all your pictures with a certain keyword, or all those rated 5 stars etc.

• 4. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
                dj_paige Level 9

an easy way to do that?

I also recommend you don't do this. You are just making extra work for yourself.

• 5. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
                  Paulus.D Level 1

Thanks John,

Good point!

So how do you manage archiving images that you have to move off your working drive due disk space issues?

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I can't speak for John ... but ...

I don't use the word "archiving", I do use the word "storage". It sounds to me like you just want to store the photos on a different drive? Is that correct? Or is there more to it than that? Because if that's all you mean by "archiving", then I provided the information on how to do this in reply #1 in this thread.

Also, I think you might want to stop thinking about a drive as your "working" drive. They are all working drives to Lightroom. It doesn't matter what drive the photos are on, they can be used in Lightroom without moving them to another drive. You can have photos from a dozen or more different drives in Lightroom, and they're all usable in Lightroom.

• 7. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
                      Paulus.D Level 1

Thanks DJ that makes good sense.

Sure the term "storage" is fine, but I see that there are different types

or storage depending upon ease or immediacy (or even want)  of

retrievability. Therefore there may be files that you regularly access,

those that that you may come back to ("Active storage") once in a while,

and others that may be put on ice for a long time ("archival storage"). The

latter may even be stored on media that is not even connected to your

retirieval system anymore until you connect it back.

Of course the crunch is how you manage it.

Thanks for your thoughts, and I am grateful for them as I now have more

space to play with!

Best regards,

Paul

• 8. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Sure the term "storage" is fine, but I see that there are different types

or storage depending upon ease or immediacy (or even want)  of

retrievability. Therefore there may be files that you regularly access,

those that that you may come back to ("Active storage") once in a while,

and others that may be put on ice for a long time ("archival storage"). The

latter may even be stored on media that is not even connected to your

retirieval system anymore until you connect it back.

In my mind, there is absolutely no difference. The photos may be on different disks, but there is no reason to treat the "archival storage" any differently than the "active storage". Lightroom simply doesn't care where the photos are, nor is there any benefit to having the "active storage" on any particular disk. You are making distinctions that lead to extra work that is completely unnecessary.

Of course the crunch is how you manage it.

Well then let me tell you the trick to manage your photos and folders. Since it doesn't matter to Lightroom what disk the photos are on, and there is no speed advantage to having photos on the internal disk, here is the trick: Leave the photos where they are, never move them, and "how you manage it" defaults to -- you don't have to manage it. There is one common-sense exception to "never move them", which is if you need to move photos to another disk to make space (which you do in the case of your internal HD getting filled), or because you have a new disk available, then you move them.

Furthermore, when you import photos, they should go to the folder that they will live in straight out of the camera, so you don't ever have to move them (except for that exception above). You don't need to import the photos onto your internal HD and then later move them off of there.

So, how simple is that?

• 9. Re: How do I archive photos & Lightroom catalogs?
                          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Furthermore, when you import photos, they should go to the folder that they will live in straight out of the camera, so you don't ever have to move them (except for that exception above). You don't need to import the photos onto your internal HD and then later move them off of there.

That idea may work for you, but in a commercial scenario the idea of 'current' and 'past' work is key to compliance with data protection and recovery standards. Old projects are archived onto hardware specifically designed for LTS (shingled drives or tape) and those are absolutely not appropriate to run as a working copy (not least because they should be in a separate building) - neither can you store all your data on an internal drive if you shoot terabytes of footage and work on a laptop.

It makes perfect sense what the OP is asking to do, and most commercial photographers follow exactly that approach - keeping current jobs on an internal drive or live EAS/NAS, moving them to offsite LTS a couple of times a year or when a project is wrapped. The only decision is whether to keep the database records of all those archived images in the same LR catalog or not, and that's entirely a personal/corporate policy decision. Some people have different catalogs for each job, client or year - if nothing else to ensure confidentiality. I couldn't show client A my screen if LR threw up keywords or folder names from client B. Others want to be able to search everything they've ever shot and don't have visitors walking past their desk.

2 people found this helpful