10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 12:22 PM by A.T. Romano

If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?

AaronGib

Presently in PREL13, when I attempt to playback any of a group of about 100 video clips all encoded with h.264 in a qt.mov container, they skip or halt, initially the video, then the audio as well. Rendering does not help. I installed the latest version of regular QuickTime, and the video play is the same. I don't need to do any extremely complicated editing here, but I can't really do any if I can't reliably determine start and end points, or really establish video content at all. I cannot pause or seek or really anything. It's possible that my old slow computer just can't hang. Video plays acceptably in QT regular player, seekable, pause/play works fine.

Will there be any advantage to buying the pro version? What would my work flow look like? Could I skip intermediary file steps and work from the original video files?

• 1. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
          AaronGib Level 1

Okay, so I bought it. Now what do I need to do to have the smoothest and highest quality work flow?

I want to chop up these longish video clips that are presently in .mov containers with h.264 inside. I am willing to, but prefer to avoid using QT7Pro to save them as another video type, because, there are 100 of them... and some of them are already 1.5gb.

Will the codecs that came with quicktime help me edit the videos in Premiere directly?

• 2. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
            AaronGib Level 1

One more wrinkle is that the original files are reporting in Premiere as 1440x1080, but QuickTime says they are 1920x1080.

I can't figure out what to convert them to in order to keep the maximum amount of quality while enabling me to edit them using Premiere Elements. When I export (using QT7Pro) to .AVI, DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, even at best quality it looks horrible (scan mode: interlaced, aspect ratio: 16:9). Please help!

• 3. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

AaronGIb

Referring to post 2...

One more wrinkle is that the original files are reporting in Premiere as 1440x1080, but QuickTime says they are 1920x1080.

Both choices end up with a display of 1920 x 1080 16:9.

According to your camera settings, what are the properties of the original video being taken into Premiere Elements and QuickTime?

If 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, the 16:9 flag stretches the 1440 x 1080 4:3 to 1920 x 1080 16:9 for display after encoding.

If 1920 x 1080 16:9, there is no flag, you already have 1920 x 1080 16:9.

These are typically distinct settings, so if the camera is set to one of the two, those are the properties that should be shown

in Premiere Elements and QuickTime Pro. I do not work with QuickTime Pro, so I do not know first hand how it displays the video

properties.

In Premiere Elements, the recommendation is to import the video with a project preset which describes its properties.

But, when it comes to exporting that Timeline, I and others recommend selecting one of the 1920 x 1080 16:9 presets

instead of one of the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 presets to avoid the 16:9 flag dependency of the player for the stretch.

Back to your initial questions shortly. In that regard, what is the file extension of these 100 videos...mov or qt?

ATR

• 4. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
                AaronGib Level 1

So unfortunately, I don't know the camera settings.

I only bought quicktime because I thought it would help me work with these videos.

Back to your initial questions shortly. In that regard, what is the file extension of these 100 videos...mov or qt?

The file extension is .mov. I didn't entirely follow the other stuff. As I said, the two programs are reporting different information about the same file.

Additionally, I can report what MediaInfo says about the same file (which seems a little more comprehensive, including for instance that it was shot on a canon, in AVCHD 1080i60:

General

Complete name                            : X:\XXXXX\XXXXX\Clip #1.mov

Format                                   : MPEG-4

Format profile                           : QuickTime

Codec ID                                 : qt 

File size                                : 225 MiB

Duration                                 : 3mn 57s

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 7 946 Kbps

Encoded date                             : UTC 2014-08-08 18:02:58

Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-08-08 18:03:48

Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime

com.apple.proapps.reel                   : CANON

com.apple.proapps.isGood                 : 0

com.apple.proapps.dataSize               : Unknown kind of value!

com.apple.proapps.displayFormat          : 1080i60

com.apple.proapps.shootingRate           : Unknown kind of value!

com.apple.proapps.videoBitrate           : 0

com.apple.proapps.originalFormat         : AVCHD 1080i60

com.apple.proapps.pulldown               : 1

com.apple.proapps.mediaRate              : Unknown kind of value!

com.apple.proapps.timecodeFormat         : 1

com.apple.proapps.numberOfAudioChannels  : 2

com.apple.proapps.sampleRate             : 48000

com.apple.proapps.bitsPerSample          : 16

com.apple.quicktime.creationdate         : 2014-07-22T19:18:49-0500

com.apple.proapps.manufacturer           : Canon

com.apple.proapps.clipFileName           : Clip #1

com.apple.proapps.clipID                 : 000000000c68e80029fd297d7dbc45455b176f5a5b1441d8d93257481836befb68ebe0dbe13d88e46d63e6746 972dad41111104706aed608eea1886ad32653b1317dc61a12c5dcdebe674a1920bf58c690cf959c09350c6e

com.apple.proapps.RADSDKVersion          : 3.1

com.apple.proapps.cameraID               : 3D2CB7D4-9473-3E4C-9DE9-257FB8F6BB73

com.apple.proapps.cameraName             : CANON

com.apple.proapps.ingestDate.description : 2014-08-08 14:02:58 -0400

com.apple.quicktime.make                 : Apple

com.apple.quicktime.model                : MacBookPro11,3

com.apple.quicktime.software             : Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.0

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 6 362 Kbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 12.0 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 440 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Scan type, store method                  : Interleaved fields

Scan order                               : Top Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.136

Stream size                              : 180 MiB (80%)

Title                                    : Core Media Video

Color primaries                          : BT.709

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio

ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : PCM

Format settings, Endianness              : Little

Format settings, Sign                    : Signed

Codec ID                                 : sowt

Source duration                          : 3mn 57s

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Stream size                              : 43.5 MiB (19%)

Source stream size                       : 43.5 MiB (19%)

Title                                    : Core Media Audio

Other

ID                                       : 3

Type                                     : Time code

Format                                   : QuickTime TC

Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00;00

Time code, striped                       : Yes

Title                                    : Core Media Time Code

• 5. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
                  AaronGib Level 1

So I'm really trying to get some resolution on this. I can't figure out how to get these files to edit!

I will try anything, please does anyone have any suggestions?

I want to avoid losing quality, but presently I can't make any editing headway because the videos won't playback correctly.

Is there anything I can do?

• 6. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AaronGib

There is plenty you can do based on details.

Let us begin by assuring that the project is being properly setup so that the project setting match

the properties of your H.264.mov as closely as possible

Please look at the following workflow which I am basing on the video information that you posted...

1. Open Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace

2. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

3. In Change Settings set the project preset for

NTSC

AVCHD

HD1080i30

(the description should match 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 video @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (in accord with the MediaInfo readout).

Then close out of Change Settings.

4. You should next be facing the new project dialog...there make sure that you have a check mark next to

"Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Click OK out of there.

5. Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to import your video into Project Assets

from where you drag it to Video Track 1/Audio Track 1. At that particular moment, is there an orange line over the Timeline video content? There should not be.

There should be "no colored line" over that Timeline content. What does the playback of that Timeline content look and sound like

as played back in the Edit area monitor?

Once we get a stable Timeline, then we can match original video properties to the export settings. Here we should factor in many

settings, especially original bitrate 1536 Kbps (constant) versus using at least as high a bitrate as the original and

changing the bitrate from constant to variable. But, export is getting ahead of the immediate - a stable Timeline in the Edit area.

And, not be overlook is the computer environment (resources) for editing the very resource demanding AVCHD format.

How many of these 100 clips do you have on the Timeline when you have no control over the project?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
                      AaronGib Level 1

It is not working. I was able to execute all the steps in the work flow without trouble. However, the timeline is still not stable enough for editing, despite the absence of sections requiring rendering.

There should be "no colored line" over that Timeline content. What does the playback of that Timeline content look and sound like as played back in the Edit area monitor?

There are no colored lines over the timeline content. Due to the instability, this did not all happen at once, it happened in between application crashes: It crashed the first time when it was generating the audio peaks information, when I attempted to add the first video to the timeline before that was completed (56%). It hung and windows said it wasn't responding. So I repeated the process and allowed it to finish generating the peaks info and saved the project when it was done. Then I added the video to the timeline, and when I tried to move the scrubber it played a couple of sound snipets so I stopped dragging it around, but it never changed the time position indication from 00:00:00. It became non-responsive at this point and after a while windows offered to close or keep waiting. So I closed it. Reopened the saved file, it played for two seconds before it got skippy.

Once we get a stable Timeline, then we can match original video properties to the export settings. Here we should factor in many settings, especially original bitrate 1536 Kbps (constant) versus using at least as high a bitrate as the original and

changing the bitrate from constant to variable. But, export is getting ahead of the immediate - a stable Timeline in the Edit area.

So, no stable timeline. I wouldn't mind some coaching or resources I can refer to about matching video properties, and understanding the wide array of file properties unique to video. But the bigger problem still remains that I need a way to edit these files, which I was not having trouble with on the last batch as they were encoded differently, probably from a different camera.

And, not be overlook is the computer environment (resources) for editing the very resource demanding AVCHD format.

How many of these 100 clips do you have on the Timeline when you have no control over the project?

I believe I did mention my resource concerns, this is a relatively new, but certainly under-powered laptop. But again I was not experiencing any of these issues with the other similarly sized video files in h.264.mts format that I just finished working with. I only have one clip loaded as a project asset and in the timeline when I have no control over the project when working with these h.264.mov files.

Thanks for all your consultation thus far.

AG

• 8. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

AG

Let us backup for the moment...somewhere above you mentioned using the "originals". Did you convert the originals from the camera to another format before importing the files into the Premiere Elements or did I misinterpret that information?

Here is what I would like you to try...

Working in the Expert workspace

1. Import one of your videos into Premiere Elements 13 with the project settings for the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9.

2. If we have a match between project preset and the description of the video file, then there should be no colored line over that

Timeline content. So, that means the program is telling you that you have the best possible preview, no Timeline rendering needed or available.

But, you are not getting the best preview. So, we are going to force the program to allow Timeline rendering, and then Timeline render the video.

To do that...right click the video on the Timeline, select Time Stretch from the pop up menu, and then change the Speed % from 100 to 99. Click

OK to close out of there. At this point, your video should have an orange line above its contents. Press the Render button above the Timeline.

After the Timeline render, the orange line above the Timeline content should be green. Play the video in the Edit area monitor. Is the playback and overall stability of the

program better.?

ATR

• 9. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
                          AaronGib Level 1

Hi ATR

Let us backup for the moment...somewhere above you mentioned using the "originals". Did you convert the originals from the camera to another format before importing the files into the Premiere Elements or did I misinterpret that information?

Good question. I suspect they have been converted from their original format (com.apple.proapps.originalFormat  :     AVCHD 1080i60) since they are now H.264.mov. But it is entirely possible that I don't know much of anything at all about these formats and that suspicion is baseless. Please, you tell me.

Here is what I would like you to try...

Working in the Expert workspace

1. Import one of your videos into Premiere Elements 13 with the project settings for the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9.

2. If we have a match between project preset and the description of the video file, then there should be no colored line over that

Timeline content. So, that means the program is telling you that you have the best possible preview, no Timeline rendering needed or available.

But, you are not getting the best preview. So, we are going to force the program to allow Timeline rendering, and then Timeline render the video.

Okay. Using the "NTSC-AVCHD-HD 1080i30" preset and checkbox for "Force selected Project Setting on this project" AND using a 57-second (57.3MB) clip. It adds to Project Assets fine. And then to the timeline okay, with no colored lines. In this state, and with this size file (very small--my largest in the folder is 1.79GB) PREL is able to update the scrubber position time indicator in less than a second, and the video frame displayed for this time position about 25 seconds later. This is when I click a spot on the timeline to move the scrubber. If I drag the scrubber... then we crash I think, but I'm going to keep on your suggested path for now and avoid that test. 25 seconds is a long time to wait for a single frame to update in the Edit Area Monitor.

To do that...right click the video on the Timeline, select Time Stretch from the pop up menu, and then change the Speed % from 100 to 99. Click OK to close out of there. At this point, your video should have an orange line above its contents. Press the Render button above the Timeline.

After the Timeline render, the orange line above the Timeline content should be green. Play the video in the Edit area monitor. Is the playback and overall stability of the program better.?

Okay, just to let you know, I left the checkboxes for "Reverse Speed" and "Maintain Audio Pitch" unchecked. I'm not sure I fully understand the purpose of this maneuver other than as a test.

After time stretching (or compressing in this case), the orange line appeared over the video, and it says 99%.

I clicked Render and it played! It also does not exhibit the same behavior with the scrubber, I can even drag it, although it's still laggier than other files have been. Now what does this mean?

AG

• 10. Re: If I buy quicktime 7 pro, will it help me load h.264 encoded .mov files in PREL13?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AaronGib

Previewing matter...

If a video imports with no colored line over its contents, that is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview. No Timeline rendering needed and available. Keep in mind that Timeline rendering is strictly a previewing matter. In this situation, if the import looks badly and the program is indicating "that is the best possible preview" for this video source, then what to do - ignore it and, if possible, edit what you have and move on to export? In most of these cases, the export will look fine where the non renderable preview looked poorly.

A while back I discovered a maneuver to get around this type of previewing situation to obtain a manageable Timeline. I call it "forced rendering". An edit to a file triggers the project to want to Timeline render the file to give you a best possible preview. So, I pick an edit. Any edit. The one that I use is Time Stretch Speed % 99, no more nor no less since it has proven the less invasive of choices. Now I can Timeline render forcing the program to give me the best possible preview. I accept this perk of a more manageable Timeline video and have not gotten into defining "why".

Reminder: In that Time Stretch dialog, leave the Reverse Speed and Maintain Audio Pitch unchecked.

If you have the control to convert the originals to another format before import into your projects, consider H.264.mp4 (1920 x 1080) instead of H.264.mov (1920 x 1080) to determine if you have less to do to get a manageable Timeline. Guideline is for you or the project to keep the project preset consistent with the properties of your source media. What you do in the export settings is another matter for discussion.

ATR