16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 9:24 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 sudden close

larrya6806783

Premiere Elements 13 loaded successfully. On open the error was, unexpected error, program is closing. Thought I fixed this by change to Norton, made Premiere a User Trusted File. Program now opens and can import MP4 video files. Can made special effects changes, save a movie,etc. But at some point in this work, the program will suddenly freeze and close, can be when first started, during import of files or at any time. System HP, Windows 8.1, 6GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, i3 processor 2.4 GHz. Updated everything I could find, Quick time, Windows, Adobe. System has more than minimum requirements for software and hardware. Did an uninstall of program, copied Elements to hard disk and re-installed from hard drive. Ran with Windows trouble shooting mode, ran as open by administrator, cannot find a problem. Adobe installer and trouble shoot program no longer available. I would appreciate any insight to the problem by anyone. Note.... Photoshop 13 installed and works with no issues. Problem would seem to be associated with programs or files supporting video. Thanks. Larry

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

Did you recheck the antivirus status?

Can you open a new project and make significant edits in it? If so, please determine at what point the project freezes and closes and what specifically are you doing at that point in the project?

When the program closes, can you reopen it and continue in the project successfully for a while or to conclusion?

Please remind me of the source of the video files being used in this project - .mp4 file extension...any other?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
            larrya6806783 Level 1

If I start a movie, imports, edit and save, it can be recalled after the program crash. But only if I save of course. Also tried importing AVCHD (.MTS) type of files.  Same problem. Antivirus set as User Trusted File. The program may also stop before any video files are imported, when you are at the first start screen. Click New Project, or Get Media and it will crash, showing windows message, Adobe Premiere Elements has stopped working. By this, I do not think the type of file has any impact of the failure.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
              larrya6806783 Level 1

Additional note to my post at 8:59 AM.   Double checked Norton for interference,  Marked Adobe software and video files to be excluded from any scans of McAfee/Norton.  Elements will crash just by opening the program and leaving the computer.  After an hour or so Premiere will crash and close.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

In reviewing your thread, I do not see that we have ruled in or out video card/graphic card and driver version considerations.

According to the Device Manager/Display Adapter/ list, what video card/graphics card is your computer using? And, is the

computer using more than 1 card?

Is the driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? If it is, have you looked at a driver

roll back? We could also look at deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file found in the path (Windows 8.1 64 bit)

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. In the Premiere Elements Folder you want the

file BadDrivers.txt and not anything within any folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. Be sure to be working with Folder Option

Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drivers enabled so that you can see the complete path cited. In Windows 8.1 64 bit the path to

the Folder Options dialog/View Tab and the Show Hidden.... starts with File Explorer. After deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file and

you open Premiere Elements 13, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file but hopefully the problem will be gone.

Let us rule the above in or out and then then we will move forward accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                  larrya6806783 Level 1

Thanks.  Noted in the first post, the graphics is Intel HD 4000. There is only one card/driver. Since it is part of Windows, and I have installed all updates available, I assume it is up to date. A search for updates reports it is up to date. There is no file named BadDrivers.txt in any folder of my computer.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

Please look again for the BadDrivers.txt file after making hidden files, folders, and drives visible

Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit

Get to the File Explorer (one way is to use the computer keyboard shortcut Windows Key + X)

Click on File Explorer. In the page that opens there are 3 tabs - File, Computer, and View. Click on the View tab.

In the page that opens, go to the right and click on Options.

Clicking on Options will bring up the Folder Options dialog.

Click on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog, and scroll down to the option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" and select it to enable it.

If the option is enabled, then you may have gone off the path cited. We will discuss that next if that might be the case.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                      larrya6806783 Level 1

Yes, I had done that previously. "Show Hidden" also appears as a select box on the  View screen, before going the Options route.  Also did a search of the C: drive for any file named BadDrivers, or Bad.

Looking  at the Discussions online, there is a long history of Premiere crash, with many editions, not just 13.  The problem, or variations of my problem, seems to be common with Premiere. That tells me Adobe does not care. I am going to load the programs to a MAC (got both DVDs with my order) and see if it has the same problem. Also thinking about sending it back for a refund. If you wish to continue helping, I appreciate that.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

Thanks for the reply.

Apparently you have not found the BadDrivers.txt file in your Premiere Elements 13 in spite of the fact that you have enable Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and

Drives enabled.

Does this help?

I have several versions of Premiere Elements on my Windows 8.1 64 bit computer, including version 13.

Both version 12 and 13 share the same BadDrivers.txt file according to Adobe.

13 on 81.JPG

In this screenshot, you do not look inside the folders (like 7.0 and the others) inside the Premiere Elements Folder).

Instead you delete the BadDrivers.txt file in that Premiere Elements Folder.

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. And, therein resides the troubleshooting construction.

It will be interesting to learn if Premiere Elements 13 on Mac will provide a good workflow for you.

Just a reminder, if needed, you cannot open Premiere Elements 13 Windows project files on Premiere Elements 13 Mac. By

the way, what is the operating system for the Mac.

We will continue to offer help until your problem is resolved. When and if the time comes, you have purchased the program direct

from Adobe, and are within 30 days of purchase, I can post the Adobe Chat Orders link to request return/refund.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                          larrya6806783 Level 1

OK right you are. I did finally find the BadDrivers.txt file. The file contents is ##FALSE###FALSE#0

I have deleted the file. Opened Elements again, it created the file again with the same content. I can open a previous movie, make changes to it, but it will not play. Closed program and opened again, crashed

on opening. Opened again. Tried to create a new movie, imported files, .MOV, .WMV and .MP4. After a few minutes the program freezes, checked with Task Manager, says Premiere not responding, then it closes.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

Thanks for the update.

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried creating 3 new projects

a. .mov only

b. wmv only

c. mp4 only

and determining if a, b, or c runs without problems.

Depending on the results, we might next look for corrupt files in each of a, b, and c.

Please let us know if any of the above defines the situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                              larrya6806783 Level 1

I do not believe this makes any difference. Opened Premiere, crashed at the first screen without any action from me. Opened again. Imported 21 clips of type MP4. Made a movie and saved it. Opened Premiere again, it crashed before the first screen. Also opened Windows Live Movie Maker. While working with it, it crashed. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. What ever the problem or corrupted file is, I believe it originates with Premiere. Windows movie has never crashed and closed before. The random, non-linear freeze and close of Premiere would seem to originate by some background input, status check, update or sequencing by a support or plug-in file. Just guessing, but the logic of failure timing at open, first screen, during a movie creation, after creation or no activity on computer (with close within a short period of time) supports no other conclusion. 

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

Adobe has just released the 13.1 Update for 13. Have you downloaded and installed this 13.1 Update using the Help Menu/Update of an opened project?

If not, please do that, and observe the impact of 13.1 on your crashes in Premiere Elements as well as Windows Live Movie Maker. Did going to the 13.1 update

improve your situation for Premiere Elements as well as Movie Maker?

If 13.1 did not have any impact on what you have been experiencing, then uninstall Premiere Elements, do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of

any leftovers from Premiere Elements, and then observe the behavior of Windows Live Movie Maker in the absence of Premiere Elements 13 or 13.1.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                                  larrya6806783 Level 1

Thanks again. Downloaded both and did update.  Cleaned computer registry and did tune up with Norton. Rebooted. Opened Photoshop, seems to work OK as before. Opened Premiere, imported some clips of MP4 and left computer till morning. Program was frozen, non-responsive. Trying to wake it up and it closed. Opened again, imported clips, tried to save a quick movie. It worked on that for a few minutes then self closed. The movie was saved. Opened again, imported files. Program freeze, then starts working again, then unresponsive. Computer memory is at 54% use, CPU at 10%. System is not "over loaded" with data or competing programs. At this point I give up, returning to Amazon. If I replace it, I will go to Best Buy and pay them $50 to load and debug a program. Adobe gets one star for product and support.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better after all your troubleshooting.

If you are returning Premiere Elements 13 to Amazon for a refund and no longer have it installed on your computer,

please let us know if Windows Live Movie Maker now runs without problems. This might be a good idea before

you invest any more money to seek a resolution.

As your schedule permits, please let us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                                      larrya6806783 Level 1

As I was preparing the package to return the software I received a contact from Adobe support in India. The tech diagnosed the problem and installed a fix in a few minutes, obviously they have seen this problem before. He added an audio driver to use rather than the Adobe default drivers.  Look at the web site ASIO4ALL for a fix. Program seems to be operating normally now. This problem resolution and fix are not listed in any of the Adobe help pages on line, to my knowledge.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 13 sudden close
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Larry

Wonderful news and great job by Adobe in pin pointing the cause of your Premiere Element using with a ASIO4ALL fix.

Your follow up is appreciated by all. Thank you for sharing what worked for you with other users of the program.

Best wishes

ATR