4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 10:56 AM by Szalam

Ray tracing not available for late 2013 iMac?

kickingbear

I own a late 2013 27" iMac.  Video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1024 MB of RAM.  Next to the current Mac Pro, why can't we use Ray Tracing on ANY mac product?   is there a work around for us with the NVIDIA GeForce GT Class video cards?  I have CUDA 6.0 installed, but I still get the message that Ray Tracing will use the CPU rather than the GPU.

If anyone has some additional information that they would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Ray Tracing not available for late 2013 IMac?
          TrishMeyer15 Level 1

Your card does not seem one of the supported GT cards.

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html?PID=6154686

Have you read the "Adobe Hardware Performance White Paper" from Adobe? Google it and the PDF is #1.

• 2. Re: Ray Tracing not available for late 2013 IMac?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you certain that you need to be using the ray-traced 3D renderer? It is an obsolete feature that is being phased out in favor of superior ways of working with 3D in After Effects. Unless you know that you really need this feature, I recommend not fretting over whether your hardware can use it.

BTW, you can choose an option in the preferences to make After Effects use an unsupported GPU for this feature. But be warned: "unsupported" means what it says.

• 3. Re: Ray Tracing not available for late 2013 IMac?
              kickingbear Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your response. One of the reasons I want dot work in 3D besides After Effects is simply to use the 3D features inside of Adobe Photoshop.  That feature is greyed out, and I assumed it's related to a limitation with my video card?   I really thought that (By Now) there would have been some sort of performance increase for those of use using Apple IMAC'S.  At least to simply be able to draw and render simple 3D shapes?  At least in after effects I can render using the CPU, but clearly, others are getting the benefit of GPU performance on Windows Based systems. Just looking for a little OS X love here...  LOL 

You mentioned there being a way to choose an option inside of preferences to allow After Effects to use a us-supported GPU?  How would I enable that?  I'd like to see if I could at least get to be able to use the 3D tools inside of photoshop.

Thanks!

-Mike

• 4. Re: Ray Tracing not available for late 2013 IMac?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kickingbear wrote:

...others are getting the benefit of GPU performance on Windows Based systems.

No we're not. This feature was never very good and I don't personally know anybody who has used it in any real-world projects. There are many reasons why very few people are using that feature and those reasons are why Adobe is not putting any more development into it. Even new Windows machines can't use GPU acceleration for it because the Optix library that GPU acceleration relied on is not in the newer cards.

The Adobe team is focusing their 3d efforts on improving the integration with C4D. "But", you may say, "I don't have C4D!" Yes, yes you do; it comes free with AE: Details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects

It's much more powerful than the ray-traced renderer was anyway.

kickingbear wrote:

I want dot work in 3D besides After Effects is simply to use the 3D features inside of Adobe Photoshop.

I don't understand what you're trying to do here. Photoshop's 3d features and AE's have nothing to do with each other. Several years ago, AE used to be able to import Photoshop 3d objects, but that buggy feature was removed long ago.

kickingbear wrote:

You mentioned there being a way to choose an option inside of preferences to allow After Effects to use a us-supported GPU?  How would I enable that? I'd like to see if I could at least get to be able to use the 3D tools inside of photoshop.

Edit > Preferences > Previews > GPU Information

Tick the box that says  “Enable untested, unsupported GPU for CUDA acceleration of ray-traced 3D renderer.”

Again, it has no relation to Photoshop; this would be an issue to take up with the Photoshop forums or, probably better, by reading through the Photoshop help documents.