11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2015 10:23 PM by Willi Adelberger

I want to nest an object behind text

melaniescooby

Hey there

I am wanting to have the blue shape behind each of the headings. I want the text to be able to flow with the boxes, incase there are edits. How can I do this? have tried anchoring them but they don't sit under the text.

Many thanks

Mel

check.jpg

• 1. Re: I want to nest an object behind text
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not have the blue box be an anchored text box?

• 2. Re: I want to nest an object behind text
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Melanie – indeed, anchoring the background with an object "Above Line".

Here an example:

AnchoringAboveLine-StoryEditor.png

AnchoringAboveLine-AnchorOptions.png

It's just a quick sample; sorry for my German UI…

And: No paragraph styles set, also empty paragraphs (Willi, forgive me!).

But I think you can figure it out. The anchor in line one of the Story View Window is the anchored object, the blue polygon, that is inserted before the headline. Then I did some changes to the anchor options setting it "Above Line" with a distance value before and after.

To do that right, of course use paragraph styles (maybe even GREP Styles), character styles and object styles.

Hope, that helps…

Uwe

• 3. Re: I want to nest an object behind text

The text can be placed directly inside the blue box. No need for a separate object.

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 4.41.26 PM.png

• 4. Re: I want to nest an object behind text
                melaniescooby Level 1

Hey SRiegel

Thanks for the help - I am wanting the blue part to be sitting flush with the top of the page. If I use this technique does that mean the text box must begin at the top of the page on any page that begins with a title? Or is there a way for the blue box to come outside of the text box at the top?

• 5. Re: I want to nest an object behind text
                  melaniescooby Level 1

Hi Laubender,

I am trying out this technique, but I can't seem to get the blue box to sit below the text, do you know what I am doing wrong?Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 22.02.20.png

• 6. Re: I want to nest an object behind text

I don't know of a way to have it go outside the text box, but there could be someone here who uses anchored object more who could be of help.

• 7. Re: I want to nest an object behind text
                      Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

I would go for SRiegels suggestion, the most easy way!

• 8. Re: I want to nest an object behind text
                        Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi all,

Sorry ! I don't understand your problem ! 

Capture d’écran 2015-02-03 à 00.09.42.png

• 9. Re: I want to nest an object behind text

@Melanie – look at the position of the anchor in my example. It's not in the same paragraph with "Session 1".

And the different values for Space Before and Space After.

@Obi-wan – Using a special effect of the Effects Panel would be possible, but maybe could backfire* some day…

AnchoringWithSpecialEffect.png

Or is it something else you are using?

I suppose it is after looking closely at your screenshot and the color of the hidden characters.

Could you reveal your trick? Ah. Could be:

"Soft Light"

AnchoringWithSpecialEffect-SoftLight.png

* Using an effect like "Soft Light" is possible, but first check the Separation Preview Panel before including it into your workflow or making it a regular habit. Check the exact color for the text "Session 1" in my example. The fill color "[Black]" now wouldn't overprint anymore, because technically the text is stacked below the blue polygon. Not so in my first example with the Inline Anchor. There the text is stacked on top of the polygon!

Uwe

• 10. Re: I want to nest an object behind text

@Frans and SRiegel – Of course you could make the blue polygon a text frame and insert the headlines there.

But this would also mean, that the headline text sits in its own Story. I did not check, but this method also could have negative side effects. It will depend on the workflow, if this will later show up in a production process or in simple difficulties extracting text from the document.

Uwe

• 11. Re: I want to nest an object behind text
                              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you have any element sitting flush at the edge of the page (not on binding side) you HAVE to extend it to the bleed. Normally the bleed is  between 3 and 5mm (I don't have a feeling for  inches, I am an Austrian, so is metric in my blood since many generation, as Austria introduced together with France the metric system worldwide).

So you have extend this item 3mm to the bleed edge (you should set up it with a new document or if you have not done so in document setup).

Do keep the text on the correct position you have to extend the top offset with the same value, if you extend 3mm to the bleed, add 3mm to the top. It is found in Object > Text frame Settings, but it is better to set up a specific object styles, which makes it easier for you later to use the same style. You can also add anchered frame options in the object styles where it makes the object exactly moving to the desired position, if you apply the object style after anchoring it.