6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 5:24 PM by elaineg94828332

Multiple graphic frames: resize, fit content proportionally, center content

elaineg94828332

Hello scripting wizards! I'm hoping one of you can help me with this simple task. How I wish actions were an option! I've read the posts saying how simple apple scripting is. I've read the tutorial from start to finish and done the exercises. I've copied snippets from multiple sources and the only thing I've been able to do is fit content ... but not proportionally.

I'm using INDD CC. I have a dozen tabloid size pages with a hundred placed illustrator images on each. Here's what I need to do to every one of graphic frames:

1. make all the graphic frames the same size: 10mm x 10mm

2. fit content to frame proportionally

3. center content in frame

Can anyone help? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Multiple graphic frames: resize, fit content proportionally, center content
          Kevin Parrott Level 2

Hi

this should get you moving in the right direction

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

activate

set myDoc to active document

tell myDoc

set transform reference point of layout window 1 to center anchor

set geometric bounds of rectangles of active layer to {0, 0, 10, 10}

fit rectangles of active layer given center content

fit rectangles of active layer given proportionally

end tell

end tell

• 2. Re: Multiple graphic frames: resize, fit content proportionally, center content
            elaineg94828332 Level 1

Thank you; it's SO close! Everything works great, except the frames all align at the top left of the window (0,0) instead of staying where they are on the page.

I unsuccessfully tried replacing set transform ... and set geometric ... with the following:

resize rectangles in geometric path bounds from center anchor by replacing current dimensions with values {10, 10 [, mm]} but that didn't do it.

I also found a seemingly relevant snippet but I'm not sure how to use it:

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds

set geometric bounds to {a, b, (c + 10), (d + 10)}

• 3. Re: Multiple graphic frames: resize, fit content proportionally, center content
              elaineg94828332 Level 1

Hi Kevin,

After dogging this all day yesterday (and the day before) I was a bit delirious last night when I said that "everything works except ..." It successfully resizes the frame and fits content to frame, but does not center the content in the frame or leave the frame where it is. Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Multiple graphic frames: resize, fit content proportionally, center content
                Kevin Parrott Level 2

hi Elaine

being playing around with this script, It might just be my settings here, but I cant get it to work in mm

so I have changed it to work in points, so 28.3464567 = 10mm, see how this works for you.

activate

tell myDoc

tell view preferences

set ruler origin to page origin

set horizontal measurement units to points --millimeters (couldnt get it to work using mm)

set vertical measurement units to points --millimeters

end tell

set theRects to rectangles of myDoc

repeat with i from 1 to count of theRects

set MyNewSize to item i of theRects

resize MyNewSize in geometric path bounds from center anchor by replacing current dimensions with values {28.3464567, 28.3464567}

end repeat

end tell

end tell

• 5. Re: Multiple graphic frames: resize, fit content proportionally, center content
                  Kevin Parrott Level 2

forgot to replace the view preferences with the original view prefs.

activate

tell myDoc

set OrigViewPrefs to properties of view preferences

tell view preferences

set ruler origin to page origin

set horizontal measurement units to points --millimeters (couldnt get it to work using mm)

set vertical measurement units to points --millimeters

end tell

set theRects to rectangles of myDoc

repeat with i from 1 to count of theRects

set MyNewSize to item i of theRects

resize MyNewSize in geometric path bounds from center anchor by replacing current dimensions with values {28.3464567, 28.3464567}

end repeat

tell view preferences

set horizontal measurement units to horizontal measurement units of OrigViewPrefs

set vertical measurement units to vertical measurement units of OrigViewPrefs

end tell

end tell

end tell

• 6. Re: Multiple graphic frames: resize, fit content proportionally, center content
                    elaineg94828332 Level 1

Hi Kevin,

Those dang millimeters! The script I came up with defaulted to pixels of all things. So my solution (actually two scripts) isn't pretty but it works though it paints with a wide brush ... every rectangle. I hope to add a repeat line like yours so I can select only the ones I want. A blogger out there in Scripter Land sent me some ideas of how to combine and improve them; I hope to dig into their logic soon. These are the two I came up with:

Resize frame 10mm x 10mm

activate

tell active document

resize every rectangle in inner coordinates from center anchor by replacing current dimensions with values {30, 30}

end tell

end tell

Fit content to frame (proportionally and centered)

activate

tell the active document

tell every rectangle

fit given content to frame

fit given proportionally

fit given center content

end tell

end tell

end tell