18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 2:43 AM by Geoff the kiwi

Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?

727737757 Level 1

I note that Capture One Pro 8 (or 7) had an issue in the recent past where a windows update caused the software developer to issue a hotfix to cure the problem caused by a windows update.

Has that ever been an issue with Lightroom?

Without getting into a long winded story about my photo laptop, It's being re-imaged today with Win 8.1 and I'm considering not using Windows update, only updates for my anti-virus.

Anyone ever heard of problems with Lightroom and Win Updates?

ps- Currently running LR v 5.7

• 1. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
          dj_paige Level 9

Anyone ever heard of problems with Lightroom and Win Updates?

No, I hven't heard of any such problems, nor have I experienced any myself.

Now, if you had a Mac ... that would be a different story.

• 2. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
            727737757 Level 1

DJ-

I know.......I'm onboard with the Mac concept.............considering the move to that brand in about a year. I'm getting so tired of the stuff that Microsoft puts out.

Thx for the reply

• 3. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
              dj_paige Level 9

If you read the forum as thoroughly as i do, you'd know that there are many many updates of Apple operating systems that have screwed things up in Lightroom in the recent past (and an update of iTunes too), but almost no reports of this happening on Windows. So, maybe Macs have a better reputation in general, but on the specific question you asked, Windows is the superior operating system.

• 4. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

I think you may have misinterpreted dj-paige's post.

I do not think he is suggesting that Mac users are problem free!

• 5. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                  727737757 Level 1

DJ-

Thank you for setting the Mac/Win/LR update record straight. I put out the same Q on the Nikon Forum of DPR as there was a specific issue with Nikon D810 files and LR v5.6. The issue was cured via LR v 5.7 for everyone..........but me.

But that problem is being remediated (I hope) as I write this.

Thanks for pointing me the right way.

• 6. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                    727737757 Level 1

As they say in the NFL, upon further review, I see where I misunderstood DJ's initial reply. Thanks for catching that..........rather changes the whole complexion of the issue.

• 7. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                      dj_paige Level 9

I put out the same Q on the Nikon Forum of DPR as there was a specific issue with Nikon D810 files and LR v5.6. The issue was cured via LR v 5.7

But excuse me, Mr. 727737757, that's not the same question.

Your question here asked about Windows updates affecting Lightroom, not Lightroom updates.

I don't know what the issue was that you are referring to about D810s, but I'll bet it was equal on Mac and Windows.

• 8. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                        727737757 Level 1

Actually, it's a bit of a rabbit hole, but here goes:

Firstly, the issue of posterization in D810 files was an Adobe issue. Lightroom v5.6 included the D810 as a supported camera. But the developed images had posterization for all users, due to a problem with the Adobe built camera calibration files for the D810. Adobe then published beta camera profiles that corrected the problem and those corrected profiles were included in v5.7. That seems to have fixed the problem.........no further complaints except for me, where the problem still persists still with v5.7

With that background, my Q was framed around whether or not Win updates (way too frequent......what? Once a week or so?) might be the cause of this posterization still present on my system despite upgrading to v5.7. IOW, the Q was: Do Win updates cause problems for LR software? At this point, I'm searching for possible causes. You and DdeGannes indicated that Mac is more problematic.

Secondly, inasmuch as it appears to be software based, I would hope that this posterization issue (although fixed for others) is confined to LR. I've heard of no one complaining about this D810 issue with ACDsee or Capture One Pro 8. I've checked both user's forums dating back to the intro date of the D810. Zero comments or complaints about the D810 files and the respective software.

I'll know the truth tomorrow when I pick up the cleanly rebuilt (software-wise) Asus Laptop.

I'll report the results here as to whether or not the OS (maybe?) or LR (maybe?) was corrupt in some way. Maybe one or the other or both, or none. I understand I won't be able to discern which one it was, if either at all. I'll still report back with a description of how the machine and LR are doing.

• 9. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?

"With that background, my Q was framed around whether or not Win updates (way too frequent......what? Once a week or so?) might be the cause of this posterization still present on my system despite upgrading to v5.7. IOW, the Q was: Do Win updates cause problems for LR software? At this point, I'm searching for possible causes. You and DdeGannes indicated that Mac is more problematic."

My take is if Lightroom is rendering Canon 810 raw images poorly that's basically an Adobe problem not the OS Win or Mac. I am not saying Win is better or not than Mac.

I use both and see no difference in the rendering or performance. Users of both systems report having a fair share of problems/bugs.

Fortunately for me I have experienced few problems since Lightroom was introduced in  2006.

The next question is your Monitor properly calibrated with a hardware device, if not this can have an adverse effect on how your monitor displays the color and tone of your images.

• 10. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paige, show us the statistics that say there are issues with Lightroom after MacOS updates...

• 11. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                              727737757 Level 1

Right now, the only problem was/is posterization. No color or tone issues. I'm downloading a fresh copy of LR v5.7 and placing it on a different USB drive than the first copy of LR v5.7 in the event that the one I last downloaded has a problem regardless of origin.

• 12. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?

Edward, I know little about Windows but why are you'd/loading to a USB drive?

http://www.adobe.com/nz/downloads/updates.html

The above is the d/load site for perpetual licenses. But really if you have the current 5.7.1 version d/loading again won't help.

Is it just the monitor?? Is it calibrated?? Do you get the same on another screen/computer???

• 13. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?

Just reading posts on this forum one thing that stands out for me is that each time there is an OS update for Mac there is a multitude of posts of mac users having problems with permissions.

And even users who from all appearances have been using the program for years seam to have problems correcting.  

I am not sure why, if its how the users have their accounts setup or what.

I have not had problems myself, I just download proceed to install and follow the on screen instructions.

Just saying!

• 14. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?

Denis de Gannes wrote:

Just reading posts on this forum one thing that stands out for me is that each time there is an OS update for Mac there is a multitude of posts of mac users having problems with permissions.

And even users who from all appearances have been using the program for years seam to have problems correcting. 

I am not sure why, if its how the users have their accounts setup or what.

I have not had problems myself, I just download proceed to install and follow the on screen instructions.

Just saying!

Sure Denis, it appears more apparent now for some reason but I have seen no facts... however it was not so long ago that permissions issues plagued Windows updates. Just like drive lettering still does.

• 15. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                                      727737757 Level 1

Geoff-

In answer to your Q, I was re-downloading LR v5.7.1 to my desktop computer in case the initial v5.7.1 update on my machine was oh so slightly corrupted in some way. I would then move to a USB drive , move to the Asus photo laptop and install. Didn't matter, didn't help, but here's what did the trick yesterday:

I had the laptop re-imaged with Win 8.1 and all the other paraphernalia necessary to run the damned thing. So, with a pristine computer, I plugged it into the broadband cable and downloaded the v 5.7.1 update directly into the laptop.

After installation, I imported 4 Nikon D810 files (here comes the kicker), converted to DNG as I have for the last 6 years, always with success. Result: Same severe posterization with the D810 DNGs.

Then deleted the files from LR and imported again and processed as NEFs. Result: No posterization whatsoever.

I can duplicate this difference between D810 NEF and DNG files with as many examples as I wish. It still always comes out that the combination of this Asus laptop, Lightroom v5.7.1, and Nikon D810 NEF files are the only way I can process photos with correct results. Perfect results, I might say.

DNG conversion of D810 files is now not an option on this particular laptop.

Inasmuch as I've converted to DNG starting with LR2 and 6-7 cameras in the Nikon and Pentax brand, I guess the takeaway is that processing in the manufacturer's format is the safest way to go. But I still don't have to like sidecar files!!

• 16. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?

Sounds funny, can you provide one of your NEF's that shows this when converted as well as a screen shot showing the posterisation??

• 17. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?
                                          727737757 Level 1

Geoff-

Thanks for your interest in this ridiculous matter. I've jumped through a lot of hoops, wasted a lot of time (and money) chasing this down to a solution. I've had enough now that the I have a workable answer, so I'll let it alone.

Regards to you.

• 18. Re: Windows Updates Affect Lightroom?

Edward Goldstein wrote:

Geoff-

Thanks for your interest in this ridiculous matter. I've jumped through a lot of hoops, wasted a lot of time (and money) chasing this down to a solution. I've had enough now that the I have a workable answer, so I'll let it alone.

Regards to you.

Well that is up to you but it seems rather strange to settle for less. This is not an issue that has been raised that I know of and I am certainly happy to try what you say is happening with one of your files to see if I can replicate it....... personally I find moving problems a great satisfaction...