3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 11:45 AM by Rick Gerard

How to draw an animated fissuring stroke or frontier ?

Oaneyl Level 1

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a way to create a realistic effect which would consist in a fissuring stroke (or frontier), second per second (2 ou 3). It's just a simple stroke I use to separate two countries on a map, my goal is to create a kind of cracking or fissuring frontier between the two to highlight the conflict. I thought about creating several strokes then animate them one by one thanks to keyframes, but I guess this is not the most realistic way.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: How to draw an animated fissuring stroke or frontier ?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Two copies of the map. Use masks to cut the map in half showing the one country on one layer and the other country on the other.

Keyframe their position properties to move them apart.

• 2. Re: How to draw an animated fissuring stroke or frontier ?
            Oaneyl Level 1

Thank you for answering, but what I actually want to create is a kind of crack with little lines on the left and right. A bit like the fissure on this photo (even if the fissure I want is not supposed to be in 3D.) cracked-floor-background-21811733.jpg

• 3. Re: How to draw an animated fissuring stroke or frontier ?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't want 3D then you can draw your mask following the same shape that you posted, then do as suggested, use multiple copies and move them apart or animate the mask path to make the crack open up. If your drawing skills need improvement just import that image and trace the cracks then set a mask path keyframe at about 3 seconds and move the CTI to the first frame and move the mask points together to form to a single line. Adjust the timing and position to get the look you want.

If you want it to have edges, then you have to create artwork with edges or stack copies of your layers on top of each other offsetting each copy by one pixel in the right direction. I would offset in Z using this expression for position in a 3D layer then duplicate the layer until I had enough copies to create the depth needed, then I would add a 3D null, make the null the parent of the copied layers, then rotate the null 90º in X to lay the layer down and precompose the entire group and enable collapse transformations.

Oops... here's the expression:

[value[0], value[1], value[2]+index]