1 2 Previous Next 67 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 10:17 PM by susan 6540 n

Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n

Can Lightroom be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I have a 19" TN monitor and am not pleased with it's results. I know there is a huge difference between my TN and a 10-bit screen, but need to start narrowing down my choices.

• 1. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

What does "not pleased with it's results" actually mean?

• 2. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom does not (yet) support a 10 bit display pipeline.

In any case, I'd say 10 bit capability comes way down on the priorities list. What it does is to replace the 256 discrete tonal steps with 1024, thus reducing the risk of posterization/banding.

A monitor that can be hardware calibrated by adjusting the monitor's internal circuitry in high bit depth (as opposed to software calibration in the video card), will not show any banding in real-world use. It's simply not a problem, and the whole 10-bit issue is a bit of a hype IMO. But it does require a good (and probably somewhat expensive) monitor, like an NEC or Eizo. These are usually 10 bit capable, but that's not their primary asset.

Some cheaper models can be hardware calibrated, like the Dell U2413 and some others, but they have their own problems like uneven backlight and so on. 10 bits won't help you with that.

Get a good monitor, it's well worth the expense. That's the main thing.

Photoshop has 10 bit support in Windows, but it doesn't quite live up to the hype there either: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1295887

• 3. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
              susan 6540 n Level 1

I had a Dell 19" TN monitor that worked fairly well for years.It was an LCD/TFT matrix display. I purchased a similar NEC monitor but it shows black on the left side and dark blue on the right. The detail is very grainy and the screen is much too light. The NEC is an LED backlit monitor.

I am looking for a new monitor and computer. My current computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop.

• 4. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

Most decent IPS monitors will do what you want, Susan - TN monitors are rarely a good choice for more than general home PC use.

The Dell U2413 mentioned by twenty-one is a very popular mid-priced choice, and will do the job for most of us, and unless you're involved in hyper-critical professional work, it may be all you need for quite a while, and I'd have no qualms (as a serious enthusiast who appreciates a good monitor) about buying this one.

FWIW, I actually use this relatively modest, but very good LG IPS monitor. It calibrates accurately, and is a perfectly good monitor for all but the most demanding pro work (and maybe even for that too).

• 5. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                  susan 6540 n Level 1

I may not now consider a 10-bit monitor, due to the Lightroom limitation.  I did read up on a HP Dreamcolor that is about $530.00. It was said that only the latest version (released June 2014) was very good, and that he previous version had very poor viewing angle colors.

How to know whether or not I would get the June 2014 version?

There are many other 24" non-10-bit 16X10 aspect-ratio monitors that have similar specs: 1920 X 1200 resolution, 16.7 million colors, In Plane Switching and 178-degree viewing angles.

I understand there are various kinds of In Plane Switching monitors, as well.

I am also concerned about the brightness of these monitors.

I am searching for a new computer, as well. My current Dell Inspiron 530 desktop has four gigs, and thought maybe a 16 gig computer would be sufficient.

Any suggestions as how to sort through these many monitors and computers would be very helpful.

• 6. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

It seems you're not used to calibrating your displays, so you should familiarize yourself with the basic concepts first. Calibration/profiling is essential to get the best out of any monitor. And an essential part of this is setting the proper brightness level for your working environment. Briefly summarized, you want a screen brightness level that matches printed output.

There are two ways to calibrate a monitor, known as hardware and software calibration. The former adjusts the monitor's circuitry directly, which gives a high degree of precision and user control. Only fairly expensive units support this (around $500 and upwards). The latter method adjusts the video card on a more generic level and is not as good.

The hp dreamcolor 2480ZX - the original pre 2014 version - is an interesting monitor, in a league way above the current Z24X version. Released in 2008, it was one of the most advanced, and most expensive, monitors to date, and in many ways still is. Speaking of 10 bits, this is one of very few true 10 bit-monitors ever made, perhaps even the only one. The panel was custom made by LG Display. All current high-end monitors use 8 bits plus temporal dithering to give a visual illusion of two extra bits.

It also used true RGB LED array backlighting. No other monitors today do this. The price tag was pretty steep, though, up in the $2000 - $3000 range. Now I notice B&H sell it for around 550; or 800 with hp-branded hardware calibrator included. Maybe they're clearing out old stock. Good as it was, however, it's getting old and I don't know how well it stands up to a modern NEC PA or Eizo CG/CX.

I don't know your budget, but off the top of my head I would recommend the NEC EA244 in the budget range; or if you can afford to spend a little more, the Eizo CS240 at $826 at B&H. The Eizo is probably the best buy on the market today, in terms of quality/price ratio. It also comes with bundled hardware calibration software, although you need to get the sensor separately (a Spyder, i1, ColorMunki or similar. They're all supported).

Further up the ladder are NEC PA or Eizo CG/CX. That's as good as it gets. They're expensive, and there is diminishing return in these price ranges. But if your work demands high precision and accuracy (as mine does) they will pay for themselves many times over in a short time.

Other mid-range options are the Dell U2413 previously mentioned, the Asus PA249Q, or the current hp dreamcolor Z24X. Try these out before buying. The trend in this market segment is to maximize on-paper specifications, and cut corners in quality control to regain costs. Non-uniform panels is a very real risk.

• 7. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

Oh, I forgot an important note of warning: These models are all wide gamut, which is nice, but requires that they be used only with fully color managed software, to perform as intended. Used with applications that are not color managed, they will display sRGB material wildly oversaturated. Lots of people have had nasty surprises over this.

• 8. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                        susan 6540 n Level 1

Thank you for this information, Keith. I was looking at a Dell 2415 at a computer store. The sales person said this was an OLED monitor. I cannot find any information to support this claim.

I have recently heard of an OLED screen, and that it produces better blacks, amongst other things.

• 9. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                          susan 6540 n Level 1

Thank you for the information about hardware/software calibration. I was not aware of the better monitors adjusting the monitors circuitry directly, as opposed to my Color Munki calibrator only adjusting the video card. I will look into the mid-range monitor options you suggested., as well.

I have read a little about RGB LED monitors, and that some photographers are unhappy with the performance of some of the current monitors, due to, perhaps, the type of LED back light.

I have a very real concern about the excessive brightness and eye fatigue some of these monitors can cause.

A salesman told me that the Dell U2415 was an OLED monitor, but I have not found any information to support this claim. OLED must be the latest innovation in TV/monitor technology, as I heard about it on a TV news program.

What full color-management software would you recommend for these mid-range priced, wide-gamut monitors? I guess my Color Munki smile would not be up to this task.

• 10. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Dell 2415 is a standard W-LED backlight monitor and not OLED, which is cost-prohibitive. Twenty-One provided some suggestions in his reply #6. Tell us your budget ceiling ($500, $1,000, $1,500) and we can provide specific model suggestions. You should factor in the cost of a good hardware calibrator, which will run about $200. Some higher-end monitors come bundled with the hardware calibrator that program the monitor's internal 12-14 bit LUT. If you don't currently have a good hardware calibrator the bundle price becomes more attractive.

• 11. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n wrote:

I have a very real concern about the excessive brightness and eye fatigue some of these monitors can cause.

What Luminance level are you calibrating you current monitor to with the Color Munki? Most all of the LED monitors will calibrate properly down to a recommended 100 cd/m2 Luminance. To eliminate eyestrain you'll want to purchase a monitor that does not produce flicker at your target luminance level due to dimming (PWM) controller issues. TFT Central tests for this in all of its monitor reviews.

• 12. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                susan 6540 n Level 1

Thank you for the information about the Dell monitor not being an OLED. This technology must be somewhat new.

I did not know I could do custom adjustments, such as luminance, with the Color Munki Smile. I will also check TFT Central regarding monitor reviews.

I would greatly appreciate any additional suggestions regarding a new monitor. My budget for a monitor would be up to about S500.00, provided 10-bit monitor would not cause banding or some other issue with Lightroom. A 10-bit monitor is certainly not necessary.

Unfortunately, I must purchase a new computer, and am considering a Dell 16-gig desktop.

I will make this brief, as it is not directly related to the 10-bit monitor issue, but is essential to purchasing compatible equipment within my budget:

1. I brought my computer into a shop for a virus scan. They found nothing and also did a "software tune up". My screen came back way too bright.

2. They then recommended cleaning the drives for the virus, and also installed Windows 7. Still no virus found, and screen the same.

3.They made major changes regarding my original graphics driver, because it was, "way out of whack". Still the monitor was too bright.

4. Then my monitor died. I purchased a $130.00 NEC TN monitor for a temporary replacement for basic reading and typing.

Long story (somewhat) short, I must purchase a new computer and monitor, I have now set my monitor's current NVidia brightness down to 12% and the contrast down to 40%, along with turning down the monitor. It still, for some reason, creates eyestrain.

• 13. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

Can't you turn down brightness in the monitor? Most NECs I've had my hands on reach about 100 - 120 cd/m² at a brightness setting of 30 or so. This should be a comfortable level unless you're sitting in pitch dark.

Todd, I don't think you can set brightness with the ColorMunki Smile, I know you can't with the Spyder 4 express. These are very basic calibrators and they just tell you to set brightness before starting calibration.

And it's just as well, because this should in any case not be done in the video card, but in the monitor itself to avoid wasting those 8 video card bits. Reduce brightness from 100 to 75 in the video card; and you've spent two bits right there and only have 6 left. Of course, with hardware calibration, adjusting it in the monitor is exactly what you do.

For this reason many third-party software calibrators have a "pre-calibration" function, measuring brightness value off the screen as you adjust manually. But even if you don't have that you can do it visually. Aim for paper white. When you can "see" paper white on screen, you're basically there. Of course there's a bit more to it, but this should get you close enough.

• 14. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n wrote:

I did not know I could do custom adjustments, such as luminance, with the Color Munki Smile. I will also check TFT Central regarding monitor reviews.

There are about four different Colormunki models and you have the least expensive. IMHO the Colormunki Smile isn't adequate for doing any serious editing in LR, primarily because its software does not allow measuring and setting the Luminance level. This is important if you intend to make prints so that you can match the screen brightness to your print output:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

susan 6540 n wrote:

I have now set my monitor's current NVidia brightness down to 12% and the contrast down to 40%, along with turning down the monitor. It still, for some reason, creates eyestrain.

Leave the Nvidia control panel at the default settings. You should be using the monitors on-screen-display (OSD) controls for setting Brightness and adjustment of Contrast if necessary to reduce the Luminace level. Also do NOT use any monitor settings such as "Dynamic Contrast" or 'Movie' modes. Use the Colormunki Smile to calibrate your current monitor AFTER setting the monitors OSD controls to what you feel is a comfortable brightness level. To go to the "next-level" of monitor performance you'll need to purchase a better hardware calibrator, such as the i1 Display Pro or Colormunki Display models.

Before going any further it would help if we better understand how you use Lightroom (amateur, semi-pro, etc.) and what type of output (prints, enlargements, web posting, screen use). A new monitor calibrator is going to set you back ~$200, which only leaves you $300 for the monitor!

susan 6540 n wrote:

Unfortunately, I must purchase a new computer, and am considering a Dell 16-gig desktop.

It's a little unclear what is actually wrong with your current computer. Perhaps that isn't really necessary? Please elaborate.....

• 15. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n wrote:

My budget for a monitor would be up to about S500.00

Assuming US prices, the Eizo EV2436 is $475 at B&H. The newer models EV2450 and 2455 are also around that. They don't support hardware calibration, but aside from that are very good.

A similar NEC option is EA244, which I think is considerably less expensive in the US (here in Europe they're about the same).

Anything other than NEC or Eizo - try out at home before buying. There's a real risk of getting a bad unit. There shouldn't be, but there is, because they're cutting costs aggressively and quality control is first to go.

• 16. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

twenty_one wrote:

Reduce brightness from 100 to 75 in the video card; and you've spent two bits right there and only have 6 left.

Oops, that should read 100 to 25. 50% is of course exactly one bit.

• 17. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

Just to clarify you are referring to the monitor's OSD Brightness control and not the Nivida control panel controls, correct? I suggest also setting the monitor's OSD Contrast control to 50. To reset the Nivida control panel settings click on 'Restore Defaults' in the upper left-hand corner as shown here:

• 18. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                            susan 6540 n Level 1

I went to a computer repair shop regarding some Chinese language characters I was seeing at or near the top of my Firefox browser. After scanning for viruses and doing what they called a software tuneup, I took my computer home to find an extremely bright screen, along with the Chinese language.

The shop later wiped my drives clean, backing up my data first, saying this would clear the virus.

They also made major changes regarding my graphics drive, saying it was, "way out of whack".Still, the virus remained along with the bright image.

Another person unrelated to the computer shop told me to disable the McAfee Site Advisor extension while using the Firefox browser. I did just that and the Chinese characters disappeared, so perhaps it was not a virus, after all. I have started using Chrome as a potential safeguard, and have not seen this issue there thus far.

I don't know what they did to my computer, and they offer no further help, other than telling me to adjust the NVidia drive.brightness and contrast, so I have decided to buy a new computer along with a monitor because that has recently gone out.

I have bookmarked the luminous landscape link, thank you.

I have set my NVidia controls back to their default, and put the brightness on the NEC monitor down to 30%, and contrast to 40%. I would not use any preset modes. I will calibrate soon.

I use Lightroom mainly as a personal venture, for web posting.

• 19. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                              susan 6540 n Level 1

Yes, I was originally using the Nvidia control panel, but have restored it's defaults, I have set my monitor's brightness to 25 and it's contrast down to 40% from it's default of 50%. I have not calibrated yet.

• 20. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                                susan 6540 n Level 1

I have set my monitor's brightness to 25; 30 is still too bright. I have taken the contrast down to 40% from it's default of 50%. Unfortunately the image is bright and the type is grey.

Thank you for the three Eizo monitor suggestions. I will check them out at B & H.

I am a little confused about calibration methods. Is hardware calibration like the Color Munki Smile?

• 21. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

If it's still too bright, go down, all the way to zero if you have to. I once briefly had a Dell U2410 that had to be set to 0 brightness to reach 120 cd/m2.

But wait. Could it be that it's not too bright as such, but that you're seeing flicker (as trshaner mentioned) and that's what's causing the eyestrain? I'm no alarmist regarding this issue, just a suggestion. The NEC P232W has been the subject of a lot of discussion lately, because of its low PWM rate at 172. But what about all the inexpensive TN office and gaming monitors? Has anyone ever measured those? Probably not. They could be even lower.

Anyway - about calibration: The ColorMunki Smile is a software calibrator. It adjusts the video card output, it does not communicate with the monitor directly. Most generic third-party calibrators work this way.

True hardware calibration requires direct communication between software and monitor, usually through a separate USB-cable. These calibrators are mostly custom made for a specific product line, by the manufacturer. Examples are NEC Spectraview and Eizo ColorNavigator. Dell has also recently started to offer this for their U series, and I think also Asus for their PAs.

• 22. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n wrote:

I am a little confused about calibration methods. Is hardware calibration like the Color Munki Smile?

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. What I meant by "hardware calibrator" is the physical calibration device (i.e. Colormunki). As twenty-one has explained most monitors do NOT have an internal LUT and can only be software calibrated using the graphic adapters LUT.

You also mention "I use Lightroom mainly as a personal venture, for web posting." For web posting pictures it's not absolutely necessary to "calibrate" your monitor's Luminace level, so I would set it a level that is comfortable for you. You don't need to purchase a new monitor calibrator if you're happy with the results setting the Luminace level manually. As twenty_one suggested try taking the monitors Brightness control down to 0 and select 6500 K color temperature.

I wouldn't replace the computer simply because the monitor is too bright. Unless you determine the cause it's very likely you'll have the same brightness issue with a new computer, . For us to help you further please provide the full model number and manufacturer of you computer system and current monitor. There is a possibility the new NEC monitor may have issues with visible "flicker" at lower luminance levels. As you lower the monitor's brightness the internal voltage regulator (PWM) on some monitors can cause visible flicker in the screen image.

Monitor Flicker Test - PWM vs non-PWM - YouTube

Your new monitor may or may not have this issue. You can test it here with the reduced brightness settings:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Scroll down to the 'prev' 'next' arrows at the above web page and tell us which pattern numbers (4a, 4b, etc.) show flicker as you hit 'next.' If you see "banding" in any of the images your monitor is not set to its native resolution, the Control Panel> Display Screen setting is not 100%, or your browser is not set to 100% zoom view. All three must be set properly or the 'Inversion test' will not work.

• 23. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                                      thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

susan 6540 n wrote:

I may not now consider a 10-bit monitor, due to the Lightroom limitation.  I did read up on a HP Dreamcolor that is about $530.00.

You don't necessarily need a 10-bit display and you want to avoid the original DreamColor display like the plague! A  good high bit display system like the NEC SpectraView line is what you need then you have to undrestand how to properly calibrate it for the intended goal:

Why Are My Prints Too Dark

• 24. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                                        susan 6540 n Level 1

Thank you for explaining the difference between the the Color Munki software calibrator adjusting the video card and true hardware calibration requiring direct communication between software and the monitor.

I watched the you tube demo showing what monitor flickr looks like and then took a monitor flickr test (links provided by trshaner), and cannot see flickr. Perhaps it is my monitor's refresh rate? I'm not sure what the refresh is set at.

I'm not sure what the NEC P232W's low pulse width modulation rate set at 172 means?

• 25. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

This is going a bit off topic, but anyway...

thedigitaldog wrote:

you want to avoid the original DreamColor display like the plague!

Why? It doesn't look all that bad from here. Not that I ever considered it, here in Norway it still retails for $3300, which is about what I paid for the Eizo CG246 and CX240 combined. So that's serious money and unless you're into broadcast or the film industry (which is what it was targeted at), probably not worth it by any stretch.

The main shortcoming seems to be the calibration software, which, although it has all the basic functions, lacks the huge flexibility of ColorNavigator or Spectraview. And that's important.

Still, at $500 - 800? Why not? I think you could do a lot worse. Not that I recommend it in this particular case, it's not really what the OP needs.

• 26. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n wrote:

I'm not sure what the NEC P232W's low pulse width modulation rate set at 172 means?

It means the LED backlight switches on and off 172 times per second. That's still to fast to see, but some claim that you can be negatively affected by it - eye strain, headaches and so on. Most high end LED monitors have PWM in the thousands.

I used an NEC P232W for a while, and didn't notice anything special. And the adverse effect has never been clearly documented, so many think it's just another conspiracy theory. I'm leaning towards that myself.

• 27. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                                              susan 6540 n Level 1

I checked my monitor's controls and do not see a degrees kelvin color temperature. It is a $130.00 tn monitor (not much there to adjust).

Thank you for the monitor flicker you tube display and test. I do not perceive flicker based on the you tube video.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530. It is seven years old.

There have been a number of changes made with the graphics card by the shop.

My graphics card is (or was?) an Nvidia GeForce 8300.

Now my programs show: Nvidia 3D vision driver 340.52, Nvidia graphics driver 340.52, and the Nvidia update 10.4.0.

Also added were the Intel R Graphics Media Accelerator Driver.

This is a great deal of (perhaps) unnecessary information, but they did make many changes!

My monitor is a NEC ACCUSYNC AS192WM. My display is at  it's native resolution: 1440 X 900. The image fills the entire screen.

My previous monitor was a Dell SE198WFP. It came with the Dell computer and (so far) far outpaces the NEC. It had better blacks, contrast and brightness. Perhaps the older (and cheaper) monitors were better?

• 28. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

twenty_one wrote:

Why? It doesn't look all that bad from here.    

Check the ColorSync user list around 2009-2010. Complaints of bad purity over the display, software issues (see a thread titled: HP LP2480zx Dreamcolor and Mac 10.6.2). That was for the original offering, I don't know what is current. If this is the original, probably want to pass.

• 29. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.
                                                                  susan 6540 n Level 1

I read some reviews on B & H photo about the HP Dream Color Z24X (about $530.00) April 2014 release had bad corner illumination issues and that it was corrected in the June 2014 release. This would require further investigation to determine it's validity.

My budget for a monitor would not go over $500.00, but the NEC Spectra View's look like excellent products.

I have bookmarked the link for, "Are my prints too dark?" It will be a great resource.

• 30. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n wrote:

I checked my monitor's controls and do not see a degrees kelvin color temperature.

You can download the user manual here:

http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/UserManuals/AS192WM_UserManual.pdf

On pg. 10 are the OSD usage instructions and on pg. 11 you'll see 'Colour Control Settings' with 9300/7500/sRGB/USER/NATIVE presets. For now use the sRGB setting until we sort the issues. I also highly suggest connecting the monitor with a DVI cable and NOT the included VGA D-Sub 15-pin cable, which is an analog connection! For calibrating with the Colormunki the 'User' preset with RGB controls is a better choice. See if the brightness issue is resolved first using the sRGB preset and Brightness adjusted down to 0.

Nvidia driver 340.52 is the latest driver, so no issue. The Intel R Graphics Media Accelerator Driver is for the Intel chipset based graphics adapter, which if present has its own display connector on the back of the system. Don't use it for your primary display! Lets me know if you can get a proper brightness setting with the suggestions supplied so far.

• 31. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

susan 6540 n wrote:

I read some reviews on B & H photo about the HP Dream Color Z24X (about $530.00) April 2014 release had bad corner illumination issues and that it was corrected in the June 2014 release. This would require further investigation to determine it's validity.

If you purchase the monitor from B&H it can be returned if there are any defects. There are product exceptions, but not for monitors/TVs under 37": B&H Photo Video Return policy

I've never had an issue returning defective B&H purchases. Keep in mind as twenty_one mentioned the quality-level of Dell and HP OEM equipment is nowhere near NEC and Eizo. You may need to exchange units before you find one without the issues mentioned in reviews.

Personally I think a standard sRGB gamut 8-bit monitor would be more than suitable for your usage (Web posting) and less expensive. With a wide gamut monitor all of your non-color managed apps will display color with over-saturation. You can setup FireFox so it is fully color managed for viewing pictures on the Web, but you won't benefit much from a wide gamut display unless you start using a wide gamut printer. The choice is yours.....

• 32. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

Agreed about wide gamut. If you don't know whether you need it or not - you don't. It'll just cause grief.

If you do need it you'll also know why, and you'll be aware of all the pitfalls and how to overcome or dodge them.

trshaner wrote:

the quality-level of Dell and HP OEM equipment is nowhere near NEC and Eizo.

Yeah. Lots of people refuse to accept this, and I've been in so many heated forum discussions over this. The problem is that the things that really matter in a monitor don't show up in the spec sheet - and so these budget manufacturers have a green card to pimp up the specifications on paper, which are mostly meaningless, and regain their costs where it's not so obvious. But it will be once you start using the thing.

There are good reasons why Eizo and NEC are expensive, and those reasons are strict quality control, tight manufacturing tolerances, and "prime-batch" parts from their subcontractors. These will be more expensive.

Tests are also misleading. Even TFT central. Note that they receive units from Dell to test, and who honestly believe these are not hand-picked? Eizos they have to buy off the shelf, which is why there are so many Dells tested and so few Eizos.

I've said it before, and I say it again: the monitor is the single most critical piece of hardware you have (aside from camera sensor/lens). The monitor is functionally an analog device. It's not like a CPU, where any cheap variety will do the same job, only a little slower. A bad monitor is just bad, and it will impact the final result.

• 33. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

trshaner wrote:

Personally I think a standard sRGB gamut 8-bit monitor would be more than suitable for your usage (Web posting) and less expensive. With a wide gamut monitor all of your non-color managed apps will display color with over-saturation.

The better units like SpectraView do a superb job of emulating sRGB with one click in the software that drives it's calibration.

• 34. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

Agreed, but the OP's budget is $500 max. Also the OP has a Colormunki Smile calibrator, which is basically the very old i1 Display 2 under a different brand name. I would never trust that puck for calibrating a wide gamut display and its also incapable of measuring and calibrating Luminance level. The Op would need to purchase a new calibrator suitable for wide gamut displays.

A good 8-bit standard gamut IPS monitor is way better than the TN monitor currently being used. If anything buy a cheaper IPS monitor and spring for a better calibrator like the Colormunki Display. Just my opinion......

• 35. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

trshaner wrote:

Also the OP has a Colormunki Smile calibrator, which is basically the very old i1 Display 2 under a different brand name.=

The problem with that 'solution' is the software driving good hardware is pathetic and doesn't provide the controls necessary to produce a match to output in most cases. This is an example of a company that makes great hardware, having IMHO, the wrong assumption about it's target audience and their needs. They charge more for the same fine hardware with software that does the job properly. There's no upgrade path. They confuse the market with differences in functionality and options when they could just supply this good hardware with good software (albeit using an easy and advanced mode).

• 36. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

trshaner wrote:

the OP's budget is $500 max.

good 8-bit standard gamut IPS monitor

There's a whole market segment missing here.

That 24 inch, $500 niche is where everybody seems to land when they decide they need a better monitor.  Currently this niche is occupied by Dell U2413, Asus PA249Q, HP Z24X, and a host of others from LG, BenQ, Philips, and the list goes on. They all have a monitor of this type.

All the models in this crowd follow the same basic template and it's really difficult to distinguish between them: AH-IPS, wide gamut, GBr LED, 10 bit capable, 14 bit programmable LUT - in short, top specs and they could be describing an NEC PA242 or Eizo CX240/CG246 for all we knew - at less than half the price. And then there's these ridiculous contrast ranges they keep boasting about, don't get me started on that.

What the world needs is a range of displays in this price range, but with different priorities. IPS, yes, but W-LED standard gamut, no 10 bit panels, no 14 bit LUT - 10 will do just fine for the purpose - and a sensible contrast range. Spend the money where it matters: panel uniformity (luminance and color), good separation in highlights and shadows, good tonal distribution, and basic calibration software, nothing fancy, just give the user the possibility to adjust the white and black points easily in the monitor LUT. Something like NEC Multiprofiler, but with sensor input.

Such a monitor could easily fit into the $500 slot, and would be easy to recommend in cases like this.

There's the Eizo EV line, but they don't support hardware calibration. And then there's a jump up to the CS240.

Similar with NEC. The EA244 is too little; the P242 too much. There's nothing in between.

• 37. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

twenty_one wrote:

What the world needs is a range of displays in this price range, but with different priorities. IPS, yes, but W-LED standard gamut, no 10 bit panels, no 14 bit LUT - 10 will do just fine for the purpose - and a sensible contrast range.          

All the increase in bit's for the panel do is aid the marketing departments. So yes, 10-bit is more than enough. Would keeping the units as such reduce costs? Don't know. Wide gamut is useful and if you can emulate sRGB, best of both worlds. Would removing this lower the price to the $500 level? Don't know. We'll never see a sensible contrast range for imaging because marketing departments love the larger value. They love to tell customers about the billions of colors (which is nonsense) these displays are supposed to produce (they don't, but they do provide billions of device color values).

I think it better to educate end users to desire a lower cost wide gamut display, aiming towards a lower cost offering.

• 38. Re: Can Lightroom 3, 4, or 5 be compatible with a 10-bit monitor? I currently have Lightroom 3.6.

Yeah, well, maybe you're right.

I wouldn't mind the U2413s of this world, if they could only do it properly and back up the high specs. But I suppose marketing rules the world.

1 2 Previous Next