2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 5:39 PM by paulclopton

Keywords, Include on Export, Save Metadata to File, and SmugMug???

paulclopton

My workflow and issue (LR 5.7 and SmugMug plugin 2.1.10):

1) I import RAW files as DNGs

2) I do various Lightroom stuff, plus add Keywords. Some of the keywords do not have "Include on Export" checked. Some of my keywords are part of hierarchies that have "Export Containing Keywords" checked. And some of keywords have synonyms.

3) Once I am all done with a file, I select "Save Metadata to File"

4) Then I publish to SmugMug using the SmugMug publish service.
      5) The SmugMug website shows keywords which I did not intend to be included on export, it does not show the complete hierarchy for those keywords that should, and none of my synonyms show. I noticed this is the same way the keywords were saved to the DNG when I view the file in Bridge.

6) When I export the file to a file on my desktop and check the metadata with Bridge, the Keywords all export correctly.

All of this behavior makes sense, I guess, but I cannot figure out what to do about it. Should I not bother to "Save Metadata to File", this seems to be what is messing up the SmugMug publish service? Is the SmugMug publish service behaving correctly? I would have expected it to behave like an export which would write synonyms, exclude keywords that should be excluded, etc, which seems to work ok in point 6 above. Are the publish services more effort than they are worth? So I get SmugMug to work, what happens when I try Flickr? I hate to stop "Save(ing) Metadata to File(s)", since that seems like a nice hedge against db corruption and the next time I decide to try a whole different image database.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Keywords, Include on Export, Save Metadata to File, and SmugMug???
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Perhaps someone with direct experience with publishing to Smugmug will chime in.  Short of that, some thoughts on your issues:

Should I not bother to "Save Metadata to File", this seems to be what is messing up the SmugMug publish service?

I very much doubt that it is messing up the publishing.  What gets saved to the file from the catalog is independent of what gets exported.  Saving metadata to the file is generally a good practice (in case you screw up your catalog backups).  Many, perhaps most, users set the preference Catalog Settings > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

I would have expected it to behave like an export which would write synonyms, exclude keywords that should be excluded, etc, which seems to work ok in point 6 above.

Yes, that's a reasonable expectation.

You may have done this already, but double-check: Right-click the Smugmug publishing service in the left-hand column of the Library, select Edit Settings, and in the Metadata section verify that you have Include: All Metadata set.

Did you download the Smugmug plugin from Smugmug? You might try this Smugmug plugin instead -- the author designed the publishing architecture of LR and has an excellent reputation. 

Are the publish services more effort than they are worth? So I get SmugMug to work, what happens when I try Flickr?

I think many users find the publishing services are generally worthwhile.  I publish regularly to Flickr (using the built-in Flickr plugin, which isn't completely reliable) and the Zenfolio plugin from Friedl. 

• 2. Re: Keywords, Include on Export, Save Metadata to File, and SmugMug???
            paulclopton Level 1

Thank you very much for your response.

I was checking LR where you said to double-check: "Right-click the Smugmug publishing service in the left-hand column of the Library, select Edit Settings, and in the Metadata section verify that you have Include: All Metadata set." In there I found something I almost swear was not there or else I would have previously tried it: "Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy". I had seen that (and tried it) in the regular export dialog boxes, but didn't think that was in the SmugMug plugin. I feel dumb because once I checked this box and republished a picture, all the keywords published to SmugMug as I would have expected.

Again, I would have tried this had I seen it. Thanks again for you help and quick response.