4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2007 9:30 AM by John L @MNR

QuickTime quality on Windows

John L @MNR
      Why does my Quicktime video look like c**p when I port over to Windows?

I'm building an app. that (among other things) gives the user the ability to play video clips at variable speed, in forward or reverse. I'm using DVCam footage in a QuickTime wrapper, no further compression, streaming off the hard drive. Footage looks beautiful on my Mac, but when I bring everything over to Windows, It looks like c**p!! AVI or Windows Media versions of the same footage look good on the Windows machines, but I can't use my lingo variable speed control handlers. HELP!!

(And why does Windows make the QT video look so hideous?)

John L.
        • 1. Re: QuickTime quality on Windows
          Level 7
          > (And why does Windows make the QT video look so hideous?)

Flip side: on the Mac QT looks so good because, being a native Apple
          application, it uses some features of QT for its display engine Quartz
          • 2. Re: QuickTime quality on Windows
            Level 7
            I deal with a lot of QT, and it plays back better and looks better on my PC
            and other PC's then it does on the G5's in my office.

So it could be the video card, poor choice of codecs, a lot of things, but
            it's not a PC/Mac issue.

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ernb66$6md$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> (And why does Windows make the QT video look so hideous?)
            >
            > Flip side: on the Mac QT looks so good because, being a native Apple
            > application, it uses some features of QT for its display engine Quartz

• 3. Re: QuickTime quality on Windows
              Level 7
              Hi John,

The problem may be with the version of QT that's installed on the PC,
              the compression that you used on the file may be too low for the PC's
              processor or video card and so the data can't play back smoothly, the
              bus on your PC may be too slow to play data smoothly.

Since you say that if you recompress the video for another player it
              plays fine, my guess is that your QT version is running at too high a
              data rate for the PC to play it properly.

--
              Rob
              _______
              Rob Dillon
              Adobe Community Expert
              http://www.ddg-designs.com
              412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
              • 4. Re: QuickTime quality on Windows
                John L @MNR Level 1
                You guys called it -- codec issue. My original clips was DV, 28.78 mbits/sec. I re-output as Sorensen3, 27.76 -- radical difference in quality. However, the Sorensen stutters at variable speeds and in reverse, so I'll have to try some other codecs and see what works best.

I'm still curious though -- I edit on FCP, but I know guys that edit w/ Premier on Windows -- they capture DV via firewire, edit DV footage -- seems strange that QT/Win can't handle the DV clips for playback cleanly. Go figure...

Thanks for your help.

JL