15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 11:31 PM by station_two

All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201

GinoBrugman

Hello,

I'm using Adobe for a few years now.

Since october last year i purchased Adobe CC and bought myself a beautiful retina Macbook Pro 15" late 2014 with the nVidia gt750m 2GB.

I use Photoshop, Indesign and Photoshop the most. And what ever i do. I run into slow performance and slugginess. It's laggy even on an empty document. Its really breaking my patience as it slows me down in my school projects. What can I/we do to fix it?

I really need this. I switched from windows to Apple for the better workflow and performance, but i keep asking myself if it was a smart decision.. Not that i am thinking of buying a windows again lol. But i need to get this fixed. I don't think a simple barely filled artboard should be a problem for a 2500$ macbook....

I hope we can fix this or at least better the performance. Any little degree of improvement would help a lot!

Kind regards,

Gino

• 1. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
          Level 5

First of all:  have you tried nuking and recreating your Photoshop's preferences?

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Note: If this process doesn't work for you while you're using a wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard, attach a wired keyboard and retry.

Important: If you re-create the preferences by deleting the Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings file, make sure that you only delete that file. If you delete the entire settings folder, you also delete any unsaved actions or presets.

Reinstalling Photoshop does not remove the preferences file. Before reinstalling Photoshop, re-create your preferences.

NEW Video! Julieanne Kost created a video that takes you through two ways of resetting your Photoshop preferences. The manual preference file removal method is between 0:00 - 5:05. The keyboard shortcut method is between 5:05 - 8:18. The video is located here.

Mac OS

Important: Apple made the user library folder hidden by default with the release of Mac OS X 10.7. If  you require access to files in the hidden library folder to perform Adobe-related troubleshooting, see How to access hidden user library files.

• 2. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
            Level 5

If that doesn't help, please come back and give us more details about your machine:

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

Note that this is boilerplate text.

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6", but something like CS6v.13.0.6) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

A screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too,

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster, who is not a Windows user).

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 3. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
              GinoBrugman Level 1

Alright sorry for the undefiled question! I'll give it another try!

Im working on a Apple 15" retina Macbook pro 2014 + gt750m gfx card (the most expensive macbook available), Its running on the Latest OSX: Yosemite 10.10.2

Specs macbook:

2,5Ghz Quadcore i7

16gb DDR3 Ram

512GB SSD

Intel Iris Pro + nVidia GeForce GT 750m 2GB GDDR5

I'm convinced the specs aren't the problem.

Continuing on the Adobe software.

Adobe Creative Cloud 1.9.0.465

Adobe Indesign: Cant find version number but it says: Latest updates (October 2014)

Adobe Illustrator: Same as above. Latest version installed

Adobe Photoshop: Same as above. Latest version installed

And now the actual problem. Whatever i do, whenever i do it. Adobe is slow, laggy, sluggish. It just doesn't run fluid. Even with a tiny amount of text. If needed i can upload a simple fitness shedule document from indesign?

It's driving me crazy and its really holding me from working efficient at school.

For clarity, I do NOT receive any error or crash. Nothing. It's just the performance which is bad.

I hope i've made it more clear.

Kind Regards,

Gino

• 4. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                Level 5

I'll try just one more time, Gino:

First of all:  have you tried nuking and recreating your Photoshop's preferences?

• 5. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                  GinoBrugman Level 1

Hello,

Sorry I forgot to mention that. Yes i did that, Doesn't do anything.

• 7. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                    GinoBrugman Level 1

What can i do now? I really need to fix this for school.

• 8. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                      GinoBrugman Level 1

Could someone please help me? Its really starting to annoy me..

• 9. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                        Level 7

Try turning off rulers in your documents and see if the speed improves.

MacOS 10.10 has a number of performance and stability problems that Apple is still working to address.

But you didn't tell us the actual version numbers of the software you are using - "latest" could mean several different versions, even with a subscription.

• 10. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                          photo1257 Level 1

I am also desperate for an answer to this issue.  In looking around thisis all over the internet as an issue with MBP and adobe products.  Does anyone know what is going on and if this will be fixed?  I cannot even work on PSE 13.  Everything lags to the point it is not usable.  My system is mbpretina 15" i7 16gb 2.5ghz. 

• 11. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                            photo1257 Level 1

It doesn't make any difference if it this is a cloud version or not and it seems all the adobe products are doing this on mbp.  Like you, icannot even use the products because the performance lags so much any detail work is a mess.

• 12. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                              Level 7

Adobe is not aware of any serious lag in the product itself.

We are aware of slowness caused by drawing rulers on MacOS 10.10, and some wacom driver problems on MacOS 10.10.

Apple is aware of the problems with MacOS 10.10, and working on solutions.

If you don't have MacOS 10.10 and are experiencing lag - then something is wrong with your system, and we'll need a lot more information to help you figure it out.

• 13. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                                photo1257 Level 1

This reply made me laugh out loud.  Have you read the thousands of posts on this issue?  Literally thousands.  I am running MacOs 10.10.2  It is not possible to use adobe PSE 13, PS, Illustrator on my wonderful macbookpro retina.  IMPOSSIBLE!  What information do you need from me?  EverytimeI read one of these posts from "staff" it is truly hard to believe the "staff" is that unaware of this HUGE issue.   All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201   GinoBrugman  And no, my issues do not have anything to do with drawing rulers or wacom drivers.  Just as the other thousands of people having this issue, I am completely unable to work with the Adobe products on my new macbook. I have tried resetting preferences and many other reasonable suggestions I have seen throughout the internet on this issue.  So far I have not seen anyone who has been able to remedy this with the Adobe products.  The only thing that helps slightly is to set the program to open is low resolution. Obviously this is not an acceptable solution to someone working with Adobe products.

• 14. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                                  Level 7

Please let Apple know about your problems with their recent OS version.

If you need to get work done, you may want to consider downgrading to a stable version of MacOS until Apple has a chance to fix the issues introduced in MacOS 10.10.

• 15. Re: All Adobe apps very slow and sluggish on my rMBP late 201
                                    Level 5

Adobe knows, photo1257.  Chris Cox is no ordinary poster.  He's a top Adobe engineer who's been writing Photoshop code since the last millennium./

Apple typically doesn't get a major release right until around the dot four release. Yosemite has a bit of a long way to go before it's at 10.10.4 or 10.10.5 update—or they may decide to leave it to OS X 10.11.x.  You pay the price of being an early adopter.

As far as for information, copy and paste the entire System info—minus your serial number—from the Help menu.  Help > System Info.

NOTE that I do not work for Adobe.

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

Note that this is boilerplate text.

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6", but something like CS6v.13.0.6) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

A screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too,

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster, who is not a Windows user).

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!