8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 9:24 AM by synthpeter

Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.

bernardl28022689

Hi,

On the same PC with the same mouse, this one worked well on Premiere Elements 7. Do you have meet this problem ? Many thanks.

With the buttons forward and backward we have frame by frame and also with the keyboard.

On the PE 13, before scrolling the Wheel, you have to activate the mouse by clicking in the free area beside the screen because in an another place you haven't an action of this Wheel.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bernard

Same Windows 7 64 bit computer

Premiere Elements 7

With Display Format = Frames in Project Settings

With Zoom In for Timeline at max

Using the mouse scroll wheel, I can go frame by frame (right to left and left to right) along the Timeline/Timeline content or Sceneline/Filmstrip content. And, the movement

is also reflected in the timecode or frame readings above the Timeline.

Premiere Elements 13

With Display Format = Frames in Project Settings

With Zoom In Expert workspace at max

In the Expert workspace, using the mouse scroll wheel only takes the tracks up or down and not right to left or left to right. So I am not clear how you have the opportunity to quantitate what is happening as per your "11 by 11 frames"

In the Quick workspace, using the mouse scroll wheel does give view of tracks up or down but nothing else. And, this movement is not reflected in the timecode or frame readings above the Timeline.

This has been written about before at least once. And, not mentioned since, assuming it was left at "it is what it is".

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
            bernardl28022689 Level 1

0_frame_start.jpg

Good morning,

I try to be clear because it is very hard to explain and incredible.

On these red points I go and place the pointer of the mouse following three different cases.

1 case : play pause and i click the mouse pointer on the red point ; at this time by scrolling the Wheel I increase or decrease the time code by steps of 11 frames.

2 case : play pause and i place the mouse pointer on the red point ; this time the steps are of 7 frames.

3 case : play pause, i click on the PE icon cercling in red, return on the red point and the steps become by 1 frame. Of course, it is not satisfying.

I have try by 25 frames per second and also 30 frames. From an european camcorder and an american one.

The same result in Expert mode than in Quick one.

"it is what it is" OK it is too bad because on the Premiere Elements 7, it was well working and very useful so now I'll work by the keyboard to decrease or increase frame by frame.

Many thanks to have read my comments,

Bernard

Premiere Elements Version 13.0 (20140903.daily.71736)

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernard

I just went through your the details of what you observed and told us, and got the same results.. Incredible discovery by you.

So, you can get a left to right and right to left movement but the mouse cursor with its scroll wheel needs to be in a blank area to the right or left of the

Edit area monitor space. If the mouse scrolling with scroll wheel is done when it is in a blank area in the tracks area, then only the up and down and down and up

movement. And, that 11 frames difference for one scroll wheel turn is there unless you use the maneuver (clicking on the Premiere Elements icon in the Taskbar) that you describe. It works.

I still believe that this is an "it is what it is moment", but with your keen observations, it would seem that you have given the Premiere Elements 13 user a way to control this "it is what it is".

Best wishes. Very impressive observation and reporting on it.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernard

I am very intrigued by your observations and report. I have done some more testing of the events.

Every thing is repeatable from what you did in post 2 and from what I confirmed in post 3, with the exception...

I am not always getting the 11 frames movement.Sometimes it is much less, but not 1. The 1 frame movement is still being

seen after the detour to click the Premiere Elements 13 Taskbar icon twice.

If you get a chance, could you let us know if you are getting the same 11 frames movement from project to project and with variation

in the zoom in factor. I think that the both of us explored these findings with zoom in at max. So far, I am not seeing a variation

in the number of frames per scroll nudge related to the zoom in set.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
                  bernardl28022689 Level 1

Dear Romano,

All the tests are repeatable ; 10 tests in each modes maxi zoom, mini zoom. I have tried on different projects, short or long.

I have obtained:

Play_Pause_Icon twice_    place in free area_step of 1 frame

Play_Pause_Icon twice_    place in free area and click_step of 11 frames

Play Pause                         place in free area_ step of 7 frames

Play Pause                         place in free area and click_step of 11 frames

I arrive at this conclusion that Adobe has not built this software in the way to have always a step of 1 frame and to pass by clicking twice times on the Icon is a loss of time and not very technic for this kind of soft. I hope that Adobe will make a future update for this missing function.

Thank you so much for your interest,

Bernard

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bernard

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway and have no insider information on its plans.

Some report that an effective way to call its attention to issues such as this is to file

an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&loc=en

From what I have heard it is not likely to receive an individual reply. More or less a "to think about" for Adobe.

Thank you for posting a very interesting definition to this issue.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
                      bernardl28022689 Level 1

ATR,

I have reported this subject to Adobe Feature Request Bug Report.

I have to thank you again for your action.

Best regards,

Bernard

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13; the wheel mouse doesn't increase frame by frame but 11 frames by 11 frames.
                        synthpeter

I just "upgraded" from Premiere Elements 11 to 15 and just noticed I can't scroll the timeline. Putting the mouse on either side of the preview window and scrolling there instead does nothing. It's all just tracks up and down. Even if there is a workaround that I failed to figure out there shouldn't have to be one. It should work, or at least allow me to choose the the scrollwheel does. It used to work.

Why are they making it worse? This is so stupid it reeks of incompetence and bad management.

Unless this will get fixed in a few weeks (yeah right, lol) next time I upgrade I will really UPGRADE and abandon Adobe and choose another brand.