6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 6:52 PM by dorir36630638

saving a raw file as a jpeg

dorir36630638

When I save a raw file as a high-quality jpeg, I am losing a lot of information and the image becomes a lot smaller when reopened. How do I prevent this?

• 1. Re: saving a raw file as a jpeg
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JPEG images are highly compressed, even at high quality. And, they are only 8 bit images. So it would be natural for you to lose some quality. Can you describe the quality loss? And, describe what you mean by a lot smaller. Did you mean in file size? Or do you mean size in pixel dimensions? Or what?

• 2. Re: saving a raw file as a jpeg
            dorir36630638 Level 1

The raw file I'm working with is 25 mb. When I save it as a jpeg file, it becomes 6 mb, even when saving it as the highest quality. When I reopened the image, the physical dimensions at 100% were smaller than when the raw image was at 100%. (Or, more accurately, at "actual pixels"). It is possible that I am misunderstanding what is happening. I'm a beginner at dealing with raw images. I'm trying to upload the highest quality image possible to a site with the upper file size limit of 50 mb.

• 3. Re: saving a raw file as a jpeg

The actual size of the file in megabytes cannot be a criteria for quality of the image. JPEG compression will work differently on every image depending on the image contents. Some images will compress a lot more than others. When you say that the JPEG is smaller, Could you share the actual pixel dimensions of the raw and JPEG images. What are you using to create your JPEG files?

Just one other comment. It seems to me that it would be extremely difficult to create a 50 MB JPEG image. It would be absolutely huge in size. I'm guessing that the site you are using is allowing the loading of file formats other than JPEG if they are allowing file sizes that large.

• 4. Re: saving a raw file as a jpeg
                dorir36630638 Level 1

Thank you for explaining that. It's starting to make sense now. The RAW image dimensions are 5184 x 3456 and the JPEG image is 4212 x 2120. I did crop it slightly, so that could explain the loss of pixels and the compression would explain the smaller file size. To create the JPEG, I simply used the "SAVE AS" function in Photoshop. Is there a better way?

• 5. Re: saving a raw file as a jpeg

"Save" and "Save As" should actually produce the same results. If you cropped the image, then that accounts for the reduced number of pixels. Just as an experiment, take one of your images that you haven't cropped and save it as a JPEG and compare the dimensions. You might want to take a look at the quality settings as well. You can drop the quality somewhat and still retain a good quality image. And it will reduce the size even more.

• 6. Re: saving a raw file as a jpeg
                    dorir36630638 Level 1

I will definitely try the experiment. Thank you for your explanation. It made things a lot clearer.