5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 3:07 PM by Peter Spier

Add Style in Section Marker

Tralthamidor Level 1

Hello, I have a large book that has many different page headers. In the past I have just put the section header on the master page and changed it for each chapter. Very tedious.

But now I see that I can put the name of each chapter in the 'chapter marker' section of the 'Numbering and Sections Options..' but it only accepts plain text, no italics or bold which are needed in chapter title. How do people use formatting when having automatic page headers? Thanks!  -Derryl

Using Mac OS 10.10. InDesign CS6.

• 1. Re: Add Style in Section Marker
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What do you whant to accomplish?

Screen shot?

Do you work with Paragraph and Character Styles?

Do you use GREP styles?

Do you use text variables?

MORE INFORMATION PLEASE!

• 2. Re: Add Style in Section Marker
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

But now I see that I can put the name of each chapter in the 'chapter marker' section of the 'Numbering and Sections Options..'

Do you mean the SECTION marker field? There is no Chapter Marker.

The markers are single characters for formatting purposes and will take on whatever formatting is assigned to them in the text. You don't format them in the dialog. This also means you cannot have more than one format applied to the entire value set in the marker. You may need to use Running Header variables (character style), with corresponding character styles applied in the actual chapter titles, too make this work, but it can only work using variables if the number and order of applied styles in the titles is the same for all chapters.

• 3. Re: Add Style in Section Marker
              Tralthamidor Level 1

Hello Willi, in my book I have many chapters that can be over a hundred pages each. On the top of each right-handed page it would say the chapter name along with the page number.

Example:   'Translation of Plato's Universe IV.4.30–45'.  If I put a Section Marker on the master page and put the chapter name in the 'chapter marker' section of the 'Numbering and Sections Options..', the text shows up correctly at the top of each page but without the formatting. In this case the word Universe in italics.  The chapter marker section seems to only accept plain text.

I am using Paragraph and Character Styles but not GREP or text variables. I just don't see how to apply them in this instance.  Thanks. -Deryl

• 4. Re: Add Style in Section Marker
                Tralthamidor Level 1

Yes, I meant Section Marker. Do you have any examples of what you suggest? Thanks.

• 5. Re: Add Style in Section Marker
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No, I don't have any examples, but from your example above, you would need three character styles, one that does nothing (but it needs a name) and one that applies the italics, and a second that also does nothing, but has a different name than the first. Then you would set up three running header variables based on character style in your header. The first will pick up the first section of the title, the next the italics, and the third the portion at the end.