2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 4:03 AM by dj_paige

Suggestions for sorting through thousands of photos and ranking/flagging them for later?

media kat Level 1

I have thousands of photos and videos that I want to go through and upload a couple of every week. I'm trying to find a good way to go through the photos and watch the videos and set some as non usable, some as usable for future upload and some as already been uploaded. I'm not sure if I should create a new keyword for future uploads, non usable, etc. or just use flags or rankings, so before I start this long process I was hoping for some insight from others who have already done something similar.

Thanks for any info.

• 1. Re: Suggestions for sorting through thousands of photos and ranking/flagging them for later?
          allanm4536173

I've been using a folder structure for years, but now s-l-o-w-l-y moving to using keywords.

With the folder structure I upload all new photos to a "New Photos" folder, and then move them from there in categorised folder names such as "Photoshoots/Weddings", "Photoshoots/Portraits", "Landscapes/City", "Landscapes/Country", etc etc etc. The only trouble with a folder structure is you are stuck to one category.

With the keyword structure you can add as many "categories" as you like. I create some "master" category names in CAPITALS such as "QUALITY", "LOCATION", "SUBJECT", etc, and then put in sub categories below them in lowercase such as "blurry", "high", "city", "country", "weddings", etc etc - as rough examples

I kind of prefer the folder structure because I'm not too disciplined with the effort required for the keywords, and I'm not really happy with my keyword structure but I cannot find any better ideas

I rename all my photos to date-time-second-sequence so they all have the same structure.

I personally don't use the star ranking for the discipline reasons, but when I am editing I use colours - GREEN for editing complete + client deliverable, YELLOW for duplicates or use if needed - not delivered to client, and RED for cannot deliver to client. I only delete the really bad ones because I'm a bit of a hoarder (at the expense of my catalog size and disk space - sigh - but I plan to move all the red's off to another catalog and store on a less important USB drive to free up some space on the 1TB MacBook drive)

Hope it gives you some ideas anyway.

allan

• 2. Re: Suggestions for sorting through thousands of photos and ranking/flagging them for later?
            dj_paige Level 9

media kat wrote:

I have thousands of photos and videos that I want to go through and upload a couple of every week. I'm trying to find a good way to go through the photos and watch the videos and set some as non usable, some as usable for future upload and some as already been uploaded. I'm not sure if I should create a new keyword for future uploads, non usable, etc. or just use flags or rankings, so before I start this long process I was hoping for some insight from others who have already done something similar.

Thanks for any info.

Whatever works for you will be fine. You have to decide what categories you want to use, and then what structure in Lightroom works for that.

You might also want to look at smart collections and see if some modification of this might work for you: Workflow smart collections – Lightroom Solutions – John Beardsworth