8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 8:36 PM by station_two

PS CS5 Cropping Question

FastEddie1981

Hey everyone. I am using CS5 and I have a client that wants some 8x10 and 11x14 prints from photo like this. Im shooting with the Nikon D750 so it shoots at 24 megapixels. How I do obtain those ratios? WHen I try to crop them I cannot get the whole photo in the crop.Thanks

Eddie

DSC_6736.jpg

• 1. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
          Level 5

Obviously the pixel dimensions of your image, so many pixels wide by so many pixels high, are neither at the same aspect ratio as 8x10 nor 11x14.  When you crop you are necessarily going to lose some pixels, i.e. part of your original image.

Elementary primary school math.  No way around that, except to add white bands to the sides of one dimension as required.

• 2. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
            FastEddie1981 Level 1

I understand that but when I go to crop that picture 8x10 it cuts off half. How do I unconstrain the photo in CS5

• 3. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
              Level 5

Your image is 5,760 pixels wide by 3,640 pixels high.

To get all the image in without losing pixels at 8x10, you have to make it 5,760 pixels wide by 4,600 pixels high.  (8 x 10)

You'd have to add 960 pixels to its height, either at the top or at the bottom of your image, otherwise you can add a 480 pixel band (half) both at the top and at the bottom. See the red bands in the image now (which I have saved as LOW RESOLUTION but full size):

DSC_6736LowRes.jpg

• 4. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
                Level 5

You cannot "unconstrain" an image without squezzing it, distorting it:

DSC_6736distotretd-low-res.jpg

Laws of physics.

Either one of the two examples I've shown you, or you crop the d@mned thing.  Sorry.

• 5. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
                  Level 5

fasteddie1981 wrote:

I understand that but when I go to crop that picture 8x10 it cuts off half. How do I unconstrain the photo in CS5

Crop to 10 x 8 instead.  You'll be cutting off less.  Your width will be the 10" side, your height will be 8".

Come on, you have clients and this is baffling you??   Really?? !

• 6. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
                    FastEddie1981 Level 1

Thanks for the criticism but I understand I will lose pixel when I crop the image to 8x10 or 10x8. My question is when I crop in CS5 at 8x10, its cutting off the orange 55 chevy. Im missing something, I want that complete image just reduced size.

• 7. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
                      Level 5

You must have taken a few speeding courses too many.  Geez…

As far as the crop tool goes, set it to 10 x 8 (not 8x10) and leave the resolution fields empty.

I will not rehash what I've typed above.

Lastly, forgetting the crop tool for a second, go to the Image menu, > Image Size …  .  Uncheck the Constrain Proportions box and the Resample Image box, then choose your parameters.  You can move the crop marquee as desired to choose what part of this image gets chopped off and be left with 10x8 image.  Chopping off a substantial part of your image is exactly what is meant by "losing pixels".

Either the image will be distorted (A), or a chunk of the image will be cut off.

Stop trying to fight this already.

A: You cannot "unconstrain" an image without squeezing it, distorting it.

This is your image squeezed into a 10x8 canvas, "unconstrained":

DSC_6736distotretd-low-res.jpg

Laws of physics.

Either one of the two examples I've shown you, or you crop the d@mned thing.  Sorry.

• 8. Re: PS CS5 Cropping Question
                        Level 5

Really, it's unconscionable of you to charge for your work with your level of skills.  Sorry, but it's the truth.