12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 2:56 PM by StevenNG

Two Lightroom Questions

StevenNG Level 1

Hi,

I am fairly new to lightroom recently having switched from Aperture. I am using the latest version of LR (not CC) and Photoshop CS6. I have encountered two problems which occurred at the same time. Hopefully, I did something silly, and this is a quick fix.

1. When I edit photos, I no longer see the little icon in the lower right hand corner of each edited photo, in the photo strip that runs along the bottom of LR. I do see the icon in grid view. I know the edits are there, as I can check the before and after photos.

2. When I edit a photo in PSCS6, I right click on the photo, and select "Edit in". Previously a screen popped up giving me three choices, and I selected the top one, "edit and keep Lightroom edits". Now, the pop up menu does not appear, and the photo simply opens in PS6.

I am sure one of you experts can help with this! Please try to keep the answer simple, as I am not an expert with LR or the computer.

Thanks!

Steven

• 1. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          1. Go to:

Lightroom >> Preferences >> Interface (tab)

For the filmstrip you can chose badged, ratings, picks etc by checking the boxes.

2. Lightroom >> Preferences >> External Editing (tab)

You can choose your settings for how the image opens in Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. If you have reduced the size of the filmstrip too much, the badges will not be displayed.

2. If you have updated Camera Raw to 8.7.1 then Lightroom and Photoshop/Camera Raw are synchronized, and it isn't necessary for you to make the choice. All of your Lightroom edits will transfer to Photoshop.

• 3. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
              StevenNG Level 1

Thanks!

Problem 1 resolved. I see how to choose the badge, etc.

Although, as Jim suggested, my film strip was reduced too much.

Problem 2.  In the external editing tab, I do not see any selection that allows me to choose one of three ways to have photoshop edit the photo.

Jim suggests this is not necessary in Camera Raw 8.7.1. However, I just downloaded the new version.

Steven

• 4. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
                StevenNG Level 1

Thanks Jim. In fact I did reduce the size of the film strip so that the badges were not visible. Corrected.

I just downloaded Camera Raw 8.7.1. The problem, which was not a problem before, occurred with Camera Raw 8.7.0.

I trust you are correct and LR and Photoshop/Camera Raw are synchronized, so that all edits will transfer to Photoshop. HOWEVER, what if I wanted to make one of the other choices previously available to me? I no longer have that option?

Steven

• 5. Re: Two Lightroom Questions

You downloaded a new version of what? Lightroom 5.7.1 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 (used by Photoshop) are the current versions. And if the versions are current then that message won't appear. The reason it won't appear is because everything you do to the raw file in Lightroom will transfer to Photoshop.

• 6. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
                    99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Jim says, providing both applications are up to date, camera raw settings will be respected. LR will flag up a synchronization discrepancy otherwise. It’s a good idea to make a choice in preferences of how LR will render the copy sent to CS6 e.g. PSD, tiff; 8bit or 16 bit.

• 7. Re: Two Lightroom Questions

You can go to the preferences screen and reset all warnings. But you still won't get the warning when sending a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop. You will get it if you try to edit a non-raw image. But when Lightroom and Photoshop/Camera Raw are synchronized there is simply no need to offer that choice. You make the adjustments in Lightroom, and then you want to open the image in Photoshop. Camera Raw is simply used as a conversion tool to convert the raw file to something that Photoshop can work with.

• 8. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
                        StevenNG Level 1

Thank you so much. Problem solved. I did not realize I would only get the 3 options when editing a non raw file.

I tried editing a JPEG, and in fact did get the message to choose one of three options.

Steven

• 9. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
                          StevenNG Level 1

Thanks. Problem solved.

I did make the choice as to how LR will render the copy.

Everything now working well!

• 10. Re: Two Lightroom Questions

Also, remember that when you finish your work in Photoshop and save that work it will be saved to a new file. It will be a PSD or TIF image, depending on your Lightroom preferences. Then you can send that image back to Photoshop and you will be given the choices you are looking for.

• 11. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
                              StevenNG Level 1

Sorry! I meant to give you and Jim credit for the correct answer, but once I clicked on "Correct Answer" I was locked out from clicking again.

Please accept my apology.

Can this be fixed?

Seven

• 12. Re: Two Lightroom Questions
                                StevenNG Level 1

Yes. I tried this and I see what you are saying. Thanks again!