2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 10:30 AM by alanr80164849

Re-sizing 3.2 (without cropping) images for a Full HD project?

alanr80164849

Hello

I am working on an audio-visual project, am new to video editing and would be very grateful of some advise before I bring my photo's and video to the editing stage. I am working with Premiere Elements 11.

My video footage was taken by a Fuji hs20 camera and is 1080p Full HD 30 frames per second using H.264 compression coded (saved directly as MOV files) progressive capture. Sound - WAVE. stereo.

My images have an aspect ratio of 3.2 and I have decided to save them as jpegs - I have LOTS and, for me, jpeg, due to the image being visible, will be easier to locate, as opposed to psd, on the external hard drives that I use as backup.

Because of my video, I understand that my project will have to be Full HD 16.9 frame ratio, but I really want to maintain the 3.2 aspect ratio of the still images - the vertical black bars either side do not bother me, in fact they will add to the artistic nature of the project. I do not want to crop or squeeze them.

I want to put my finished project onto Youtube and, if possible, burn to bluray and dvd, Uk/Europe region.

I am looking for the best image quality that I can get and would like to know the the precise image resizing, pixel width and height dimensions that would be suitable for a 3.2 image in a Full HD presentation. The photos were taken between 7 and 14 mp. I have photoshop elements to edit them.

Also, I have been advised to convert my video into MPEG streamclip to avoid further quality loss and other problems. Could anyone advise me more her - I understand that a converter can be downloaded for free but I am unsure as to what to use.

I apologize for this message being so roundabout, but I want to supply as much information as possible. My computer system is 64 bit with a 5 core processor.

Hope to hear from some soon

Sincerely Alan

• 1. Re: Re-sizing 3.2 (without cropping) images for a Full HD project?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

alanr

If you do not have computer resource problems with your 3:2 images in a Premiere Elements1920 x 1080 project, then just import the 3:2 photos with their original pixel dimensions into the project. If you observe a compromise in computer resources then resize your photos to pixel dimensions with the 3:2 ratio.

Here I am suggesting that you look at resizing (example) original 3000 x 2000 pixels to 1920 x 1280 and then importing the 1920 x 1280 3:2 into the project

a. with Edit Menu/Preferences/General with check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size (where project does the scale from 3000 x 2000 to assumed 1920 x 1280.

or

b. with Edit Menu/Preferences/General with no check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size. Here you scale the video in the Edit area monitor space established

by the choice of project preset set by you (manually) or the project (automatically).

The above gives a scaled not cropped image with the black border you feel are artistic.

Please do a mini test run to determine if that works for you.

I did a few run throughs with the above and all seems to accomplish the goal without cropping.

ATR

• 2. Re: Re-sizing 3.2 (without cropping) images for a Full HD project?
            alanr80164849 Level 1

Thank you very much for your help. Much Appreciated.

Alan