7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 1:05 PM by Joel Cherney
      • 1. Re: How to change font attributes on multiple paths at once?
        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You HAVE to work with PARAGRAPH STYLES. Adjust those styles, it will change everywhere where these styles are used.

NO TEXT WITHOUT PARAGRAPH STYLE!

• 2. Re: How to change font attributes on multiple paths at once?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Willi is essentially correct but I think his message is being drowned out by the allcaps enthusiasm

If you select multiple paths with the Selection tool (the black arrow) then you cannot alter type formatting directly. Seasoned InDesign users rarely manipulate type by direct formatting; instead we apply a paragraph style to all of the type, and then change the paragraph style. If all the text on those paths was marked with the same paragraph style, then you could just change the style.

You could do it other ways, but they're all suboptimal. For instance, if all of your text-on-path was set at 11 points, and no other type was set at 11 points anywhere in your document, you could use Find/Change to specify a Find Format and a Change Format under More Options. If all of the paths were marked with the same Object Style, then you could make a new Paragraph Style and specify it in the Object Style.

But if you drew those paths by hand, then they have the Basic Graphics Frame object style applied (like everything else you drew in the document) and if you didn't style the text then every bit of text has the Basic Paragraph style applied (like every other bit of text in the document). So you're either going to do it by hand, or... you're going to follow Willi's allcaps advice.

• 3. Re: How to change font attributes on multiple paths at once?
            shaiya288 Level 1

Thank you for the answer.

I tried what you suggested however it only works on 'single paths' it does not work on paths that are threaded to other paths. (Paths whose text continues to other paths)

• 4. Re: How to change font attributes on multiple paths at once?
              shaiya288 Level 1

Ok I understand now.

I was not able to change them by applying a new Paragraph Style to them. I was however able to change them if they already had a Paragraph Style, by modifying that style.

So that means that if I already created multiple paths of threaded text with no Paragraph Style applied to them, the only way to change them was to start over by deleting all the text and thread them once more with a Paragraph Style selected.

Thank you very much for your help

• 5. Re: How to change font attributes on multiple paths at once?
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Create a para style and apply it path after path.

You should NEVER write a single letter without a paragraph style!

It is annoying when I get documents with manual formatting. This causes a lot of additional work which could be avoided by working with styles.

I don't understand, why so many people work without styles?

• 6. Re: How to change font attributes on multiple paths at once?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You may need to hold down the Alt/Opt key when you click on your paragraph style to apply it and remove the local formatting at the same time.

• 7. Re: How to change font attributes on multiple paths at once?
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So that means that if I already created multiple paths of threaded text with no Paragraph Style applied to them, the only way to change them was to start over by deleting all the text and thread them once more with a Paragraph Style selected.

Well, no: you don't have to delete them or thread them. If you have four chunks of text, you could just

1) Make the paragraph style with nothing selected

2) Choose the text tool

3) Put the cursor into text block number 1

4) Select your para style by clicking on it in the para style panel (maybe holding down Alt/Opt as Peter suggests)

5) Move your cursor to text block number 2

6) Select para style from panel

etc