16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 5:30 PM by MW Design

how to import .txt for catalog

JamesDevin

Is there a way to import .txt into InDesign like Pagemaker used to do?

• 1. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

File>Place

• 2. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
            JamesDevin Level 1

Thx Bob,

As helpful as that was, my issue is a little more complicated and I should have stated that first.

I have an existing catalog that has been established with very specific style parameters.

I also have content to populate the catalog generated from a database into a .txt file and looks like this:

“BERKELEY”,    “4 Year College Concurrent Enrollment”,    “4YRCE”,    “”,    “”,    “   2”,   

“UC BERKELEY CONCURENT ENROLLMENT”,    “”,    “”,    “1-99 UNIT”,    “1”,    “23673”,   

“”,    “E1”,    “LEC”,    “”,    “”,    “”,    “”,    “”,    “”,    “”,    “UC BERKELEY CONCURENT ENROLLMENT”,    “”,    “”

In old Pagemaker I was able to import this .txt file with certain option selected like; 'Retain Format', 'Convert Quotes', and 'Read Tags'

Does such an option exist for InDesign CS6? Thanx again

• 3. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

These seems more like a job for data merge.

• 4. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                MW Design Level 4

Looks like a data merge file. Comma delimited, apostrophes for field delimiters. But there are space and or tabs also in the data, which if needed, great. If not, you'll need to strip them out.

You would make your template for the merge, import the styles from the document you have, and map the merge tags to the styles.

Mike

• 5. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                  JamesDevin Level 1

Thanks Mike, I will try that.

• 6. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                    JamesDevin Level 1

yeah, I figured the same...just trying to work my novice magic on a quik fix. Thx

• 7. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                      MW Design Level 4

We can read all the replies.

If it was my job, and I couldn't get hold of the original data merge template, or there never was one, and all the data in a spreadsheet (new and existing, assuming the new file is additions/replacements), I would make the template, bring in the former file's styles, map the styles, and do the merge.

If I needed to clean up the data file first, I would open it in a text editor, do the find/change on the data, load it into a spread sheet, and export it as a tab delimited merge file (no apostrophes, commas, etc).

The, using a copy of the existing file, bring in the new stuff by copy/paste between the files. Unless these are all new items, then I would bring in the pages by dragging them from one to the other.

But that's without actually seeing what you have.

Good luck.

Mike

• 8. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                        JamesDevin Level 1

Thanks Mike i will try your suggestions. Kinda frustrating

• 9. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                          JamesDevin Level 1

Is there a way I can send you the files and you can point me in the right direction?

• 10. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                            MW Design Level 4

If you get stuck, just pop into this thread or start a new one. Always someone around to help. For certain help, it is very useful to obtain a sample file, posted somewhere like dropbox and a link provided.

Mike

• 12. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                              JamesDevin Level 1

I'm probably wrong, but i feel like the styles assigned to the Spring 2015 Course document are not grouped or something because when I try and assign one of the styles to a particular line in the txt it changes the whole thing and not just the individual line.

• 13. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I haven't looked at the files, so I don't know what you have, but Paragraph styles apply to entire paragraphs, not individual lines within them (though you can apply character styles to individual lines as nested line styles).

• 14. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                                  Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

The Indesign document you posted unfortunately was not created using a data merge, it was created by importing text. And unfortunately, the text file you posted is a tab/comma delimited file, not just raw text file. This kind of project is not geared for data merge. The Indesign document does not have linked text files, and updating existing document may be nearly impossible with what you have.

• 15. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                                    JamesDevin Level 1

Thanks Jeff...yeah, this job has been a bit of a cluster-fudge for lack of a better term. But the files i was working with are so crazy to begin with. Thanks for the confirm that I am not as crazy as i thought.

• 16. Re: how to import .txt for catalog
                                      MW Design Level 4

Personally, I would use data merge to get the data into ID. ID cannot, however, use a logic-based import for setting styles. There is a plug-in I use that would handle that part just fine.

The data file has superfluous information in it. It has missing headers for those columns at the end, though I am uncertain that info is even used without scrolling through the ID file. The ads/info graphics (or whatever they are) would need to be placed individually. Not a big deal. The biggest challenge by not using data merge to get the data in is (1) cleaning that file up for a regular text import and, (2) manually formatting what I suppose is a larger file than was uploaded.

I have done course catalogs for two colleges. One was XML, the other was a data merge. I frankly don't see the problem. The plug-in I use in QXP is available for ID as well. For ID it is InData by Em Software. It was well worth the cost. If you go this route, do download, install, and try it before plunking down the money. It takes "programming" to use it in that one creates what they call prototypes. It really is simply a bit of code. It isn't onerous to learn.

Mike