14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 1:11 PM by BigKitten

Workflow from capture to publish

VDRAVES Level 1

I am just starting in the world of Wedding and Event Videography. I love the excitement and emotion of weddings and feel privileged to be able to provide a record of the day. And I don't mind the long hours either. I am having trouble though with my project delivery. Viewing quality on DVD is not as good as I would expect - either pixelated or blurry. Looks fine in the camera and when viewing via the editor so I'm sure the problem lies in the project preset, interpretation/conversion, or the output preset.

I am shooting on a Canon HF G30, movie format: AVCHD, Recording Mode: 24 Mbps, frame rate: PF 29.97 (which manual says is progressive recorded as 59.94i), resolution at these settings is 1920x1080.

NLE is Adobe Premiere Elements 10. I have tried several project presets, tried interpretation options on source, and several options when sharing to DVD. None have provided a clear video when I ultimately burn to a DVD.

I am currently working on an event video (school Christmas program) which I am delivering on DVD to the parents.  I do not know if they have DVD players, or Blu-Ray players so I am assuming low-tech on the parent's end (DVD Standard).  So far the only thing I have been happy with is Project Preset: AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30 and output with Share\Disc\AVCHD preset H.264 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby, to a DVD which unfortunately will not play on a standard DVD player (only on a Blu-ray player).

Any insight to a proper workflow would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
          A.T. Romano Level 7

VDRAVES

Canon PF29.97

Have you looked at the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Export choice

Disc

DVD

with use of the preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

From what you wrote, the camera is capturing interlaced and converting that to progressive for delivery to you.

I would go with the delivery format in setting your project preset.

If you have not looked at the above workflow before, please determine if it presents with a better output than what you have

been getting?

Thanks

ATR

• 2. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
            VDRAVES Level 1

No improvement.  Source is AVCHD from a Canon camcorder which is why I didn't look at DSLR before.

• 3. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
              VDRAVES Level 1

In another forum, someone suggested that the problem may be with the MPEG2 encoder when it tries to compress the AVCHD to be placed on the DVD.  Is there some way to adjust that process?

• 4. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                A.T. Romano Level 7

VDRAVES

I do not think that is the case. Those burn to disc presets are not user adjustable other than selecting one preset or another.

Did we ever discuss what video card/graphics card that your computer uses? NVIDIA GeForce? If so, we need to discuss that especially if you are working

with the latest version of the card's driver.

Another miscellaneous...if you take your AVCHD into the Premiere Elements 10 project, right click its thumbnail in Project media, select Interpret Footage from the drop down menu that opens, what does the Interpret Footage show for "Use Original Frame Rate from File"?

If you are taking in what is supposed to be 1920 x 1080 with a progressive frame rate, that should not be looking pixelated or "blurry" at playback of the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. Did I ask what the player was for this pixelated or blurry end product?

I do not buy into this all being due to a 1920 x 1080 versus 856 x 480 display -the later resulting from the 16:9 stretching of the video for display after encoding.

Another matter that you might want to look at as a mini test run...take your 1920 x 1080PF29.97 Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive

1. Share/Computer/MPEG with preset = HDTV 1080p29.97 High Quality....what is the quality of the output of MPEG2.mpg?

2. Share/Computer/MPEG with preset = NTSC DVD Widescreen...what is the quality of the output of MPEG2.mpg?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                  VDRAVES Level 1

I am using the "problematic" NVIDIA GeForce graphics card.  When I am working in PRE10 I remove the driver and work with the native W8.1 driver.  That allows me to view my project within PRE10.  The video does not play correctly on my PC outside of PRE10 with NVIDIA disabled, but I am aware of that and that is not the viewing I am asking about. 

AVCHD Interpret Footage shows 'Use Pixel Aspect Ratio from File: Square Pixels (1.0)' is the checked option.

The player for the pixelated end product is an HD TV using a blu-ray player with HDMI cable, also the same HD TV using a DVD player (this is worse) with the yellow RCA composite output.  The playback from the DVD is blurry on my Windows Vista computer (not sure what driver it is using).

For your mini test run, after going to the hard drive do you want me to view on the computer, or burn to a DVD?

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

VDRAVES

Thanks for the reply and looking at the comments.

My target for your video's Interpret Footage was not the pixel aspect ratio section of that feature, but rather the frame rate section of the Interpret Footage dialog. That is why I asked

what does the Interpret Footage show for "Use Original Frame Rate from File"?

As for

1. Share/Computer/MPEG with preset = HDTV 1080p29.97 High Quality....what is the quality of the output of MPEG2.mpg?

2. Share/Computer/MPEG with preset = NTSC DVD Widescreen...what is the quality of the output of MPEG2.mpg?

Please view the files on computer player,  and afterward use Premiere Elements to burn each to a DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc and view as you are doing.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                      VDRAVES Level 1

Sorry,  Frame rate is:  Use Frame Rate from file: 29.9700

Valerie Draves

Video by Valerie <http://facebook.com/videobyvalerie>

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 9:17 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                        RFSLeander Level 1

The best advice is to tap into your network of friends who are already doing video and asking them for help. It's probably something completely obvious and easy to diagnose in person.

I don't want to sound like an annoying old geezer, but if you don't know anyone, this is the time to meet them because if you're in business, your network is the key to your success, especially in the wedding biz. In the meantime, though I can't help with your problem, I can reassure you that you are not alone. Burning to DVD is one of the most problem-fraught tasks there is.

• 9. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                          VDRAVES Level 1

Thank you for your advice and encouragement.  There are very few

professional videographers in my area.  I did attend a workshop last week

and one of the things it allowed me to do was "network" with some

videographers kind of close to home (about 100 miles away).  I've already

reached out to one of them and she also had suggestions.

Valerie Draves

• 10. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                            whsprague Level 4

You can try every project preset or output preset you want, but if the media is DVD it will be crappy.  DVD is the old Standard Definition ("SD") format.  Think tube TV like your grandma had.  DVD can't deliver to High Definition ("HD") TVs with the quality now expected as the current standard. 

As an example, I recently paid good money for a DVD of a school performance my granddaughters were in.  The well paid videographer put it on DVD so it could be played universally.  Compared to what I shot with my consumer grade camera with "HD" settings, it was terrible.

• 11. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                              VDRAVES Level 1

That is what I am trying to avoid - providing a video of a school

performance that looks bad.  So how do you suggest handling distribution of

this type of project without knowing what media the clients have?  In

addition to SD vs HD I also noticed that if I publish in widescreen and you

have a "tube TV", the sides are cut off (and I didn't leave sufficient room

for that in my framing) so some of the children are not visible.

Valerie Draves

• 12. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                                whsprague Level 4

VDRAVES wrote:

So how do you suggest handling distribution of

this type of project without knowing what media the clients have? 

Valerie,

You are touching on a major dilemma for videographers.   The simple one media distribution method has disappeared with the prolification of HD TVs, Blu-Ray, YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook. 

The videographer that shot my granddaughters last performance solved it buy selling a cheap DVD.  I'm not sure, but when I looked at his camera it didn't even look like it could shoot HD.

An on line friend who lives and shoots in New York as a volunteer for school performances and amateur productions puts his very high quality work on Vimeo, then offers Blu-Ray disks and DVDs only when asked. 

I have no intention of making any money with video.  However, when I share my videos I usually do it on Vimeo.  My primary audience is limited to close friends and family.  Their dominate viewing habit is "streaming" with a Roku like device, so Vimeo works.  The few times I've given away disks I provide both formats.  From Amazon I bought "jewel cases" (plastic boxes) that hold two disks.  I buy printable DVDs and BD disks.  I print a nice title, a screen shot and clear marking as to what it is.  ("Play on a Blu-Ray Player" or "Play on a DVD Player".

If I was trying to make money I might put a short "trailer" on Vimeo or a Facebook page ending in a credit screen that has "Order you complete DVD or Blu-Ray from xxxxxxxx".

If your videos are less than about 25 minutes in length, you don't need a Blu-Ray burner or the expensive disks.  There is a unique format that makes Blu-Ray player compatible disks out of ordinary and cheap DVDs on ordinary DVD burners.  In Premier Elements look for the third choice under Publish&Share > Disk.  It should say "AVCHD".

Good luck!

Bill

• 13. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

VDRAVES

At the beginning of your thread you said that your source is from a Canon camera which is giving you a 1920 x 1080p29.97 file and that you are not satisfied with the quality of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc obtained from with it using Premiere Elements10 NTSC_Widescreen_DVD Dolby. In those details, you included that the bitrate of your source file is 24 Mbps. Is that correct?

If so, please remind me, with your Premiere Elements 10 setup, have you ever in all your Premiere Elements 10 experiences gotten better quality end product than what you are seeing now - even to the point where you might think acceptable for your purposes? If so, what were the properties of the source media in that project and especially what was the bitrate of those source media?

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Workflow from capture to publish
                                    BigKitten

I have a possible solution. I too needed a way to export high-quality DVDs without a Blu-ray burner.

Like Bill, above, the answer I found is to export in AVCHD from the Publish and Share tab (see below).

From what I was given to understand on AdobeTV, AVCHD is kind of a happy medium between full Blu-Ray and horrible standard HD.

The one caution is that you need to play them on a Blu-Ray player and depending on the machine, they'll may choke the machine.

The only other solution I've found is to deliver the H.264 video on thumb drives which works great, but only if the customer's TV has a thumb-drive slot.

Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 3.00.46 PM.png