6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 7:05 AM by ssprengel

Lens profile for Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit

bst7 Level 1

I'm looking for a lens profile for the Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit lens. I see that Adobe doesn't have one, but if anyone has made one, or can give me some suggested corrections, would be appreciated.

Thanks

William

• 1. Re: Lens profile for Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe probably doesn’t have one because I believe this is a manual lens. 

A lens profile is a file that contains a series of corrections that are matched to various combinations of: focal-length, aperture and focus distance.  This lens is fixed focal length, so that’s 1 of 3 parameters that are known, but unless the raws from the camera contain aperture and focus-distance data then a lens profile isn’t very precise and the profile matching can’t take place automatically.

If you want you can try making your own profiles using the Adobe Lens Profile Creator—search Adobe.com for the program, and see if you can get them to work.  Besides the program you’ll want to print out the checkboard calibration target at a known size on a laser printer.

Start by shooting the series of images of the target for just one focus distance and aperture and see if that profile works.  If so, then do some more for various apertures and focus-distances.  If the info is not stored in the raw files then you’ll want to make a series of profiles and match them manually, yourself after recording what the aperture and focus distance were.  If your camera is one that records an aperture value but it is just a guess based on a front-facing photocell on the camera body, then this could be wildly wrong so the corrections may not be that close.

• 2. Re: Lens profile for Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit
            erudolph Level 1

fwiw, all Leica M lenses are manual focus, yet LR has profiles for a number of them.  I too wanted a profile for the 24mm Elmarit because though it renders beautifully it has a lot of distortion.  I wonder if Adobe doesn't provide a profile because the lens is no longer manufactured?

• 3. Re: Lens profile for Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit
              bst7 Level 1

Yes, these are indeed limitations, but there are a number of profiles for existing M (and R) lenses as erudolph says, just not this lens. I was hoping someone might have done the work already and there was a profile floating 'round I could use (even buy for a cup of coffee!)

• 4. Re: Lens profile for Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit
                erudolph Level 1

Me too, I'd chip in.  Making one of those profiles with the Adobe app is a lot of work.

• 5. Re: Lens profile for Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit

Adobe would have to have a copy of the lens to profile it, and if as you say it is no longer made, and especially if it is expensive, their making a profile would be subject to having it temporarily available, somehow. 

Your best bet is to make your own profile, and perhaps share it on the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader for others to benefit from.

• 6. Re: Lens profile for Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit

The Lens Profile Downloader, which is where people share their own profiles, only lists two Leica lenses and they're not Elmarits.