3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 11:31 AM by Bill Gehrke

Which processor is best?

ahparks Level 1

I want to purchase an new system.  Which is a better choice for graphic design and video enhancement in AE CC and Premiere Pro CC, a Xeon processor or a 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor?  Of course also having the CUDA GPU video card listed system approved.

thank you.

• 1. Re: Which processor is best?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It all depends on what you need to do: what media, what processing you are going to do and how much money you want to spend.  Take a look at our Premiere Pro BenchMark web site where Harm has a vast amount information on building a video editing system.  This is part of what you want but probably the most demanding portion.

Here is a small table that I recently published showing essentially showing CPU power for dollar cost for the CPU derived from our PPBM8 test results.  I for you added a typical i7-4790 to this version.  Remember that this cost is only for the CPU chip(s).

PPBM8-ranking.jpg

• 2. Re: Which processor is best?
            ahparks Level 1

Thank you.  This was very helpful.  I do have one more question.  I need to purchase another system.  I am having difficulties with the toy I have which is a Dell xps 8700.  It is beefed up for graphics but I am having much slow downs in AE CC.  Could you assist with a system that could handle the load of AE CC designing with graphic and video developing?   Current system only has i7 4770 processor.    I really need another system. 

• 3. Re: Which processor is best?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Sorry but my forte is Premiere.  Look at some of the recent forum posts or the best solution is; go to Eric at ADK and have him build you a system for your AE work