1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 9:39 AM by Jeffrey_Smith

SMG file (Solidworks Composer) into Indesign Document

beckyg116

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to embed an SMG file into Indesign. I just took a Composer course, and we did it through Microsoft Word very easily through the developer tab and adding a Composer ActiveX contol. This then grabs the entire Composer file, animations and all, and placed it into the Word document, shown below:

Clipboard01.jpg

My company currently uses Indesign for production guidebooks that show our production staff how to assemble parts on the floor. We are looking at going digital in the near future with these guides, and interactivity would be extremely useful. I have found this forum (Using SolidWorks Composer & InDesign? | SOLIDWORKS Forums) regarding a similar situation, but other than that I am at a loss after hours of trying. Composer has output options to HTML, but I can't seem to get that to embed either.

Please let me know if you need any more information. Please help!

-Becky

• 1. Re: SMG file (Solidworks Composer) into Indesign Document
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

There is no 3D model format that will import directly into Indesign with the expectation of full interactivity. If you choose PDF as a format to distribute manual, then you can import U3D format into Acrobat to have a fully interactive model within the manual. But the 3D model won't go through Indesign. One note, Solidworks can export U3D format. If you choose other formats for the electronic manual, you could have some levels of interactivity with the model. You could rotate the view in SW, export into a image format, create as many views as necessary, then import images into Indesign using Folio Overlays or Object States to accomplish interactive aspect.