3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 4:57 AM by ScrapNLoud

Why is Photoshop CC 64 bit text engine not initialized

debbiep12

PC 64 bit

Windows 7

Using Photoshop CC 64 bit

working fine for months, now suddenly can't use text tool: I get "could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from bing initalized.

What gives?

I had this same problem with Photoshop 2014 CC and had to go back to using CC one version older.

Has anyone had this problem & gotten it fixed?

Thanks

d

• 1. Re: Why is Photoshop CC 64 bit text engine not initialized
          Level 7

You have corrupt fonts or a corrupt OS font cache.

Try this: Troubleshoot fonts | Photoshop CC 2014, CC, CS6, CS5

• 2. Re: Why is Photoshop CC 64 bit text engine not initialized
            debbiep12 Level 1

This Worked for me on both versions of CC & CC 2014 without emptying the trash.

Thanks!

Solution 6: Delete the Photoshop font cache

Mac OS

1. Quit Photoshop and the Creative Cloud desktop app (if installed).
            2. Navigate to:
              • Photoshop CS6 and earlier
                  /Users/[user name]/Library/Caches/Adobe
              • Photoshop CC or CC 2014
                  /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC or CC 2014
                Note: If you're using Mac OS 10.7 or later, use this TechNote to learn how to open the hidden Library folder.
            3. Drag the TypeSupport folder (Photoshop CS6 and earlier) or the CT Font Cache folder (Photoshop CC or CC 2014) to the trash and empty the trash.

Windows

1. Exit Photoshop and the Creative Cloud desktop app (if installed).
            2. Navigate to the appropriate folder
              • Photoshop CS6 and earlier
                Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe
                Windows 7: \Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe
              • Photoshop CC and CC 2014
                Windows 7 and 8: \Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC or CC 2014
            3. Delete the TypeSupport folder (Photoshop CS6 and earlier) or the CT Font Cache folder (Photoshop CC and CC 2014), and empty the trash.

Restart Photoshop and test to determine if the problem recurs.

• 3. Re: Why is Photoshop CC 64 bit text engine not initialized
              ScrapNLoud

Possible solution:

I had the same problem.

Nothing would fix it, I uninstalled all Adobe software, wiped all temporary and appdata files associated with Adobe, still didn't work.

Now, the thing is, there are some corrupted fonts on your computer, and that's what's keeping the text engine from initializing (It also crashes photoshop if you try to select a font).

What you need to do, is head over to your Windows font-folder (C:\Windows\Fonts), select all fonts, and copy them to a safe location for later restoring (Ctrl+C does the trick).

Now delete all the fonts in the Windows font folder, it will delete all except those protected by the system (Arial, Times New Roman etc.). You have now also deleted the corrupted font, whichever it was.

Now head over to where you copied your backup-fonts, then install them all back. Windows will then ask if you want to replace or skip the fonts that are already installed (the system fonts which you

couldn't remove), just skip them.

This solved my problem, after nothing else had, like doing all the basic **** like reinstalling everything and wiping the appdata, font cache etc...

Hope you're not in even deeper **** than I. Cheers