1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2007 1:46 PM by Newsgroup_User

HELP need info about drop-down navigation menu

surferinmammoth Level 1
      Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some input. I have just re-designed our magazine's site, www.easternsurf.com

I used Pop-Up menu function in Fireworks 8 to generate our Navigator bar. For the most part everything has been working well, BUT we've had a couple of complaints that the navigator bar's pull-down menus get stuck behind the photos/banner ads/etc. instead of in front of them when viewing in Internet Explorer. I'm on the Mac platform (OSX Tiger/Macromedia Studio 8) and have seen no problems viewing in Safari, Firefox and Netscape. The only complaints have come from Internet Explorer users. A couple of people updated their browser to the newest version and the problem disappeared, however we've still had a couple of people that have written in that the newest version of IE is still not displaying properly.

Also we've got a strip of button ads running down the left hand side of each page and I've also seen another issue that's common on sites of this type...when the pulldown menu overlaps with a Flash element, there is a problem with the screen re-draw. I've seen this on several other sites and know it's a common problem, but does anyone know of a workaround where this won't happen? I just noticed that signing on to Adobe's site, there almost seems to be a command where the menu keeps re-drawing at a very rapid rate so this won't happen.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, although I'm Mac all the way, we are a business and have to get this site visible for everyone!

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: HELP need info about drop-down navigation menu
          Level 7
          webmasterinflorida wrote:

> Hi everyone,
          >
          > I was wondering if I could get some input. I have just re-designed our
          > magazine's site, www.easternsurf.com
          >
          > I used Pop-Up menu function in Fireworks 8 to generate our Navigator bar. For
          > the most part everything has been working well, BUT we've had a couple of
          > complaints that the navigator bar's pull-down menus get stuck behind the
          > photos/banner ads/etc.

Consider redesigning again? The page is 240 kb, which is about 200 kb
          more than it should be. It would be OK if everyone used a high speed
          connection, but broadband penetration in the US is stuck at around 50%.
          About half your viewers aren't going to stick around until the page
          finished loading.

Skim through the forum posts to learn more (and scary stuff) about the
          drop down menus.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------