8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2015 10:17 AM by Semaphoric

match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)

Wallymaha

I did a portrait.  I want to print out the photo that I did it from but match it to size so I can check color and such.  Is there an easy way, say, measure the head to chin of the drawing and have the image print out the same size with out getting the calculator.  I mean, if I could use the ruler tool and it said 8 inches and I could just input 6 inches (same as the artwork measurement), so the whole photo would be the same size as the artwork, that would be great. But I can't seem tp do that.

It there a trick to do this?

thanks

wally

• 1. Re: match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)
          norman.sanders Adobe Community Professional & MVP

length.jpg

If you choose the Ruler tool, hold down the Shift key to draw a straight vertical line, the length of the line you draw (with the Ruler set to inches) will appear in the sections of the Info panel shown above. From that information, calculate the percent of enlargement or reduction (simple arithmatic) required to match the original art and in Image > Image Size enter the information as a Percent, an option offered in Image > Image Size here:

per.jpg

One last reminder, Wally: a change in the file's image size may impact on the image's quality.

• 2. Re: match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)
            Wallymaha Level 1

hmmm. that's what I do.  I try to do cm. But sometimes it's inches. Convertering fractions to digital and then the math for the resize is annoying when it it could be done in an instant. BTW I only resize the dimensions not the file size.

I'm going to hold out and hope that this has been addressed and is hidden somewhere, but thanks normfb

• 3. Re: match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm going to hold out and hope that this has been addressed and is hidden somewhere..

It has been addressed, and nothing is hidden. normfb demonstrated that.

I try to do cm. But sometimes it's inches.

You set the units. Preferences > Units and Rulers...

Convertering fractions to digital and then the math for the resize is annoying when it it could be done in an instant.

I don't understand. The application can't do an automatic calculation of your intention. Photoshop has no pre-existing notion of the size-match you want. The burden of actually carrying out the measurement and calculation is on you, even if you find it "annoying." How do you imagine it "could be done in an instant"?

• 4. Re: match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

If you are photographing a work of art (portrait?), this is what I'd do:

1. Crop the photograph as desired, let's say that the original's frame just fits inside your photograph after cropping.
                2. Measure the height of the original (including the frame)
                3. Go to Image > Image size, and resize the image accordingly
                4. Make sure that you have the correct ppi for your printer AND the correct dimensions
                  You will probably have to check Resample.
                5. Depending on the size of the original, you may or may not have enough pixels in your image to print at original size with decent quality.

• 5. Re: match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)

I am sure you know you simply:

Multiply the length of the object on the monitor image by 100,

and then divide that number by the length of that object in the painting

to give you the % of change required. If it is annoying to leave Photoshop to do the math, consider putting a calculator in the Widget in your Mac Dock (if there isn’t one there already).

I can pass along one small hint, though. For greater accuracy, the longer the reference object being measured, the better.

• 6. Re: match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)
                    Wallymaha Level 1

It has been addressed, and nothing is hidden. normfb demonstrated that.

Hmmm. One person's answer does not necessarily demonstrate a solution.

You set the units. Preferences > Units and Rulers...

No... The original size is conviently measured in one unit but needs to be solved in another metric. Another setting i would have to keep changing.

Convertering fractions to digital and then the math for the resize is annoying when it it could be done in an instant.

I don't understand. The application can't do an automatic calculation of your intention. Photoshop has no pre-existing notion of the size-match you want. The burden of actually carrying out the measurement and calculation is on you, even if you find it "annoying." How do you imagine it "could be done in an instant"?

First of all, i have quite a problem with numbers even using a calculator.  But let me explain.. The measurement of an eye on paper is 1.25 in.  The drawing has no edges so measuring from width of paper and simply resizing image dimension doesn't work. So i drag the the ruler measure the eye in Photoshop. The measurement says  2.324 . I just highlight it and type in 1.25 . Photoshop asks if i want to resize the whole picture to match this measurement or just change measure. Viola, done. 

Often many parts of the drawing are off, and i repeated have too do this over and over and reprint.

As i stated, i did appreciate his reply. Your tone was kind of lousy, hopefully you have a better idea where i am coming from. I know i am sounding kind of dumb, and lazy. 

Wally

• 7. Re: match image size in photoshop to smaller printed original?  (use ruler somehow?)

Let's see now: The eye on your drawing is 1.25 and on the monitor it is larger: 2.324.

If the goal is to reduce the image appearing on the monitor to 1.25:

Untitled-1.jpg

2.324x = 125

That converts to 53.79%.

So, set that as indicated in my first response and you're good to go.

Good luck