5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 9:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look

A.T. Romano Level 7

Today Adobe has released the 13.1 Update for Premiere Elements 13. Most of us already know that, have downloaded and installed the 13.1 update via an opened projects Help Menu/Update, and are busy exploring the 13.1 new features which it describes

Release Notes Photoshop 13.1 update

Sample text for fonts

Quick access to Instant movie and video story creation

Pan and zoom for images in video story

Frequently used panel

ISO image creation for disc burn failures

But going beyond that, I wanted to go deeper into what the 13.1 Update offers the user of 13.

Tonight I wanted to take a deeper look at what has been done and not done. Early

reports seem to indicate that the Motion Tracking feature shows no improvements in 13.1.

In my initial look at Motion Tracking in 13.1, it is working overall - questionable better, not worse. More looks on this needed.

And another has posted improvement with working with a Wacom pen and tablet device in 13.1.

My work in progress on this 13.1 can be found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Adobe Releases Premiere Elements 13.1 Update

We will look for other properties of 13.1.  If anyone has discovered how to disable the automatic pan and zoom

in Video Story, please let us know.

To be continued.

ATR

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Add On...

Adobe includes in its list of 13.1 Update features

ISO image creation for disc burn failures

There is a known issue in 13 related to file size of the .iso image produced in the 13's burn to ISO Image. This was pointed to by Juergen and elaborated on by me in

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

This known issue to which I refer is the lack of player recognition for AVCHD on DVD or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc when the disc is created in ImgBurn using a Premiere Elements 13 ISO Image with a file size greater than about 1 GB.

Tonight I looked at this matter in 13.1 Update to determine if this situation was fixed in the 13.1 Update and if this related to the "ISO image creation for disc burn failures" mentioned by Adobe in its document describing briefly the 13.1 Update. This issue was found to be the same in Premiere Elements 13 and 13.1.

So, it is uncertain at this time just this "ISO image creation for disc burn failures" is all about. More information to follow.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Add On...

For those who are still using Elements Organizer 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit and are getting no sound from AVCHD.mts files (Dolby digital  2 or 5.1 channels) in the Elements Organizer 13 player, then please consider updating 13 to 13.1

We have found in Windows 8.1 64 bit...

AVCHD.mts Dolby digital 2 channel or 5.1 channel, no sound in Elements Organizer 13 player.

AVCHD.mts Dolby digital 2 channel or 5.1 channel, now sound in Elements Organizer 13.1 player.

Please let us know if you found the same.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look
              A.T. Romano Level 7

A 13.1 description fuller than the original Adobe document on the 13.1 features appears to have been published on February 13, 2015 by what is described as

"team of writers that maintains Help and user-assistance content for Adobe products across multiple domains, including Creative Cloud, Marketing Cloud, Acrobat, the Elements family of products, Technical Communication Suite, mobile apps, and more".

Please see

Adobe Premiere Elements 13.1 update | Adobe Content Corner

Of special interest was the explanation fpr the ISO Image feature in 13.1. Basically it sounds like an special "Auto Save" as ISO Image for failed burn to Blu-ray.

I still have not found the disable pan and zoom for the new Video Story feature. This February 13, 2015 article shows a screenshot for it. I will take another look.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look
                A.T. Romano Level 7

There is a disable pan and zoom option for the new Video Story feature after all. Although the dialog showing its existence was shown in the document cited in the previous post, the route to get there was not.

Here is what I found...After opening Video Story feature and selecting a theme and feature assets, I will subsequently get to the section Story Assets where I drag the assets into individual Chapter spaces. After that is done, I click Next which results in "Processing". After the "Processing" is completed, I get a view for "Detail View". I needed to switch from "Detail View" to "Overview" to see a layout of all the Chapters, each Chapter having options which included Edit Chapter.

a. In the Overall view, I went to the Chapter of interest and clicked on the "Edit Chapter" button at the bottom of that Chapter display.

b. The first screenshot displays what I saw after hitting "Edit Chapter". When I brought the mouse cursor in contact with the picture of interest, the blue icon pointed to in the first screenshot appeared. And, when I double clicked that blue icon,

VideoStory1.jpg

I am presented with the display where I can change the pan and zoom options for one or all.

Please see second screenshot below.

Video Story Again.JPG

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

In post 4, the second screenshot is not displayed rather just the link to it. Not sure what happened there. But the following screenshot

is the "second screenshot" pointed to at the end of post 4.

PanZoomOptions.JPG

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look
                    firedeva Level 1

Any way to just directly add to the Frequently used panel?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13.1 In Depth Look
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

firedeva

Interesting question. The bottom line is the easiest way to do that is to use the choice 3 times, and it will automatically appear in the Frequency Used Panel.

Did you have a chance to read about the details behind Frequency Used Panel in

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Adobe Releases Premiere Elements 13.1 Update

If not, please do.

One example...video transitions...every time you make a choice of transition that count information for transition usage for each transition goes into one .dat file, in this case the .dat file is named FrequentlyUsedTransitons,dat. The usage count there for each transition starts at 0, and once it gets to 3, that is when you see a copy of that transition thumbnail placed in the Frequently Used List of transitions within the project. You have brought this about from the project side of things. You used the transition 3 times in the project.

So, then I got the bright idea to go to the Notepad document of the FrequentlyUsedTransitions.dat file and change the 0 to 3 for a given transition on the list there in order to get that transition to be shown within the Frequently Used Panel within the program (without having actually used the transition in the project 3 times).

It did not work.

I will think about this some more in the morning morning. Right now, its use the choice 3 times go get the program to include it automatically in the Frequency Used Panel.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I decided to try one more maneuver...remember my editing of the Notepad document of the FrequentlyUsedTransitions.dat did not force the appearance of a transition in the Frequently Used Panel within the project, but.....if I left my count change in the .dat file at 3 for a transition that I had never used in the program and went back to the project, I needed to use that transition only once, not 3 times, to trigger its appearance in the Frequently Used Panel within the project.