13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2015 10:01 PM by bordstiff

Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0

bordstiff

Can I capture and edit with Premiere Elements 13? My camera is a Sony HDR-PJ540E camcorder

• 1. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bordstiff

You should be able to import "AVCHD 2.0" into Premiere Elements 13 project. You will probably be recording AVCHD 2.0.mp4.

From what I have read, AVCHD 2.0 is an update from AVCHD. The update adding support for 1080p50 and 1080p60.

Premiere Elements 13 has project presets for 1080p50 and 1080p60. You can export .mp4 as 1080p50, but you will need to customize the export

settings under the Advanced Button of the preset selected in Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD.

But, if you do not yet have Premiere Elements 13, best you download and install the free 30 day tryout from Adobe to assure the compatibility of the program with your

computer environment and your project goals, including editing of your recorded Sony files.

Please let us know if you have questions or need clarification on the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
            bordstiff Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for assisting me.

I am not computer savvy so please understand lack of knowledge.

I have read the requirements for Premiere Elements 13 which state Processor Dual Core. I have attached my computer spec’s, perhaps you would be kind enough to advise.

Because I currently have Premiere Elements 7 would it be advisable to remove it before downloading a trial version of 13? I do have the original program should I need to install again.

I’ll seek more instruction on Premiere Elements 13 has project presets for 1080p50 and 1080p60. You can export .mp4 as 1080p50, but you will need to customize the export

settings under the Advanced Button of the preset selected in Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD. at a later time, I know I will need it.

My apologies for a delay thanking you and replying with further questions, I have been away for two days.

regards

Eddie (bordstiff)

• 3. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eddie

Thanks for the reply. In our discussions, if anything needs clarification, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Your attached computer details did not get posted for some reason. Please try again on that. Have you read the Premiere

Elements System Requirements? Major point ... 13 does not support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or OSX 10.7.

For Premiere Elements 13 System Requirements, please refer to

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

I would leave Premiere Elements 7 installed on your computer during the 13 tryout and not remove it until you are

sure that you will not be using it again.

For export settings in 13...(File Menu/Export/Movie is gone...has been for several versions now.)

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with preset = example MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 and customizing that to MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p50 under the

Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset.

You would click on the Advanced Button to opened to the advanced export settings and its tabs. Click on the Video tab.

Then adjust the settings to look like...

1080p.JPG

Please review and consider, and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                bordstiff Level 1

AT

Lets see if the attached works this time. Does my computer have the necessary for running 13? My concern is Dual Core.

You will note that my computer OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Eddie

• 5. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eddie

The reply got posted but no attachment.

Are you posting the attachment as jpg? Are you coming to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum using your web browser,

signing in here, and then using the Insert Image (Camera Icon) to insert your screenshot into the reply?

Please remind me is your Windows 7 Home Premiere 32 bit or 64 bit?

We will be watching for further information?

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                    bordstiff Level 1

A.T.

Attached is a .jpeg giving specs of my PC.

I haven’t downloaded trial version of 13 as yet.

Eddie

• 7. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Eddie

Thanks for the reply, but no attached .jpeg giving PC specs that you wanted to post.

I found the following Adobe Forums' how to do the attachment. Please check it out to see

if you are doing other than what is described in the how to.

The specified item was not found.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                        whsprague Level 4

As ATR said, AVCHD 2.0 differs from the original AVCHD when 1920x1080 at 60 progressive frames per second were added to the specification.  If memory serves, AVCHD 2.0 became "fully supported" in version 11.  It was never clear what that meant exactly.  It may have had to do with patents or trade agreements between Sony and Panasonic as owners of AVCHD and Adobe who was not. 

I have used versions 11 and 13 for AVCHD 2.0 footage from four cameras, including two Sony's. 

ATR and I do seem to have an area of confusion.  On my Sony camera menus you pick from AVCHD or MP4.  There is no choice to "be recording AVCHD 2.0.mp4".  It is one or the other.  Once you pick the recording or file format from the two, you then pick the recording quality within that format.  On my Sony and Panasonic cameras the best is 1920x1080p60.  On my Sony menu the highest quality setting reads "60p 28M (PS)" telling that it will be 60 progressive frames per second at a bitrate of 28 Mbps.  My older Sony does not have 60p setting in the MP4 format at all.  My newer Panasonic can record 60p in either the AVCHD or MP4 format. 

I also find ATRs suggestions for export settings.  My preference is make selections based the viewing media.  Is it YouTube, a Blu-Ray or an iPhone.  I also have found that if I'm trying to duplicated the qualities of the source for computer play that the Match Source button under the Advanced tab has worked every time with accuracy and reliability. 

As far as speed and smoothness of editing, AVCHD is know to be demanding.   However, any Intel i5 or i7 based computer with about 8GB of RAM should work for AVCHD.  However, I agree that, with all the variables, testing it with a trial is a very good idea.

Bill

• 9. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bodstiff

Referring to my post 3....there I suggested settings to be set by you manually and not using the Match Source.

You should be looking at the Premiere Elements 13 tryout version soon. Then you can make up your mind on the reliability of Match

Source for setting your Advanced export settings. In past versions a feature comparable to that has not worked, and I have seen

some Match Source in 13 not working. Until you establish its reliability in your workflow, please consider this.

As for the difference between some camera's that come with alternatives recording settings of "AVCHD" or "MP4", I believe that each uses a form of AVCHD for video compression allowing them to be generalized as AVCHD.mts or AVCHD.mp4.respectively. I go no further into the structure than that. As my reference I have been using post labeled 12 Feb 2014 11:57 which includes a quote from the community sony.com. specific to this matter. Please see

FCP.co Forum :: Topic: AVCHD vs. MP4 ? (1/2)

Right now the focus is on how well the recordings from your camera work in Premiere Elements 13 for your import/editing/ and exporting goals.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                            whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

bodstiff

Referring to my post 3....there I suggested settings to be set by you manually and not using the Match Source.

Come on ATR!  Be a little friendly.  PrE users other than you may have successful experiences with PrE that you do not.  I'm here for the fun of it.  If you are trying to build a website, blog or book business please do so.  But don't suggest you are the only one on the planet that has discovered the inside flaws.  Millions are successful with using this great product.  I am one of them.  Using Match Source works extremely well on my computer for my needs.  Please don't dismiss it as a stupid thing to do!

• 11. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                              bordstiff Level 1

AT

I have successfully downloaded E13 Trial version. Importing files from my Handycam with no problems. There may be issue’s later, we’ll see.

E7 is still installed but it looks very much like I’ll be purchasing the later version.

Early days but one thing I couldn’t see was importing my music from my folders, is that possible and if so will I need to find Codecs to suit, I’m sure I will need some help with this.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Eddie

• 12. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Eddie

Great job moving forward with your evaluation of Premiere Elements 13 tryout. Please continue to give it a good workout before you make your final decision to purchase or

not.

The installation of Windows Media Player and the latest version of QuickTime covers most playback.

You should be able to import music from your Music Folder with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/. Are they .wav or .mp3 or .aac or other? Stereo or 5.1 channel? Give it a try with a sampling of your music files. If iTunes music, many run into issues (import generic error) with Premiere Elements (most versions). If that is the case, then convert the iTunes

music to a wav version in iTunes and then import the wav version into the Premiere Elements project. Here is the iTunes how to for that

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1550

If any questions on that, please let me know.

But, I would definitely check out a sampling of your music collection as source media in your Premiere Elements projects. We will deal with any issues as they come. Hopefully none.

Be sure to be looking at the 13.1 Update for Premiere Elements 13 and Elements Organizer 13. There were some audio playback issues in 13 with AVCHD.mts files. There was a MPEG2 playback issue with Elements Organizer 13. That was supposed to be an tryout issue only. The Music Score offerings have the same concept as SmartSound of previous versions but are not SmartSound. As brought up in a recent thread, these Music Scores do not display a waveform. If you need more information on that I will dig out the thread - lots of very interesting and helpful information from the user who originated the thread.

Sounding very good. Go with what works with you.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: Editing AVCHD format Ver 2.0
                                  bordstiff Level 1

AT

Just finished a self tutorial and read your reply. Thank you.

When I next open the program I’ll look at the music issue.

I am familiar with most of what I see just that tools etc. are in different places and sometimes have a different description  but I’ll get there. I’m not looking for a  “professional” output but it is always nice to improve on ones abilities.

I’ll be in touch.

Eddie