3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 5:53 AM by Rick Gerard

Pen Tolls puts down wrong points

bartłomiejf63491885

Hi,

I want to draw a mask but when I use the pen toll, it does not mark a point where I click. It marks it in the first place and loops it. I can not trace the letters such as in the attached picture.

Could you help me?

after screen.jpg

Alicja

• 1. Re: Pen Tolls puts down wrong points
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This looks like  you are closing the mask with an extra click. Have you used the mask tool before? It looks like the layer Eyecare is a nested composition. If your intention is to create transparency  behind the letters then there is probably a much easier way. We could help you figure that out if you gave us a screenshot of the nested comp with all the properties of all the layers revealed.

If you have successfully drawn masks before and you can draw a larger mask accurately with the pen tool that you are having problems with your mouse or tablet.

• 2. Re: Pen Tolls puts down wrong points
            bartłomiejf63491885 Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your answer.

This looks like  you are closing the mask with an extra click.

- It is impossible, because I click once and another - so another point should appear. Points "overlap".

Have you used the mask tool before?

- Yes, I use mask many times before.

It looks like the layer Eyecare is a nested composition. If your intention is to create transparency  behind the letters then there is probably a much easier way. We could help you figure that out if you gave us a screenshot of the nested comp with all the properties of all the layers revealed.

- I just want to trace single letter.

If you have successfully drawn masks before and you can draw a larger mask accurately with the pen tool that you are having problems with your mouse or tabl

- It is not a problem with mouse because outside the composition I can draw it but inside I can't.

Alicja

• 3. Re: Pen Tolls puts down wrong points
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open your nested comp and try creating your mask there.

Are you telling me that in the main comp you cannot draw any mask with the pen tool? Did you scale up the nested comp? If you scaled the nested comp way up then you may be trying to create a mask that is too small so the points are snapping closed.

I still think that you are not using the most efficient workflow. I'm not sure what the mask on the single letter is going to be used for or why it wouldn't be better to use a track matte or the transparency in the original text.