15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 5:23 PM by A.T. Romano

Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?

psbn

trying to fine tune audio,getting hits on the supplied sound tracks.

thanks

Dave

• 1. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

At the Expert workspace Timeline level, you can unlink the audio from it video or just use an standalone audio file and double click the audio file to bring up its Preview Window with the

audio waveform.

If you have a video audio linked, to unlink

a. right click the Timeline file, select Unlink Audio and Video

or

b. as you hold down the Alt key, double click the audio part

Please give that a look to determine if that is what you seek.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

This is a representation of what I had in mind for what you asked.

WaveForm.JPG

ATR

• 3. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
              psbn Level 1

That was a good answer for finding the waveform monitor. Unfortunately,I was not able to see the skips or hits in the soundtrack. The music for the soundtrack come from the musical scores supplied. I was able to expand the track but still could not see the hit or skip. i tried moving the musical score up to audio 2...no help. Still getting hits. I tried laying down some music from Carlos Santana that I had and that worked fine. Relayed musical score and got random hits. The hits did not come at edit points, as used to happen with premier pro cs5.

• 4. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                psbn Level 1

I also checked for update and did update to 13.1 ,and restarted computer. I layed down the musical score "drama", from the adobe supplied list. Still got random skips, even when no video was present. I sure like the idea of using some of the scores, they could come in handy on my windows 7 pc.

thanks Dave W.

• 5. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave W

Thanks for the last two replies with details that turned around my approach to your question. It was not until your post 3 when you mentioned Music Scores did I realize that you were referring to Music Scores developed in the concept of being able to adjust their duration without altering music arrangement. You were not referring to non-Music Score music.

In the case of Premiere Elements Music Scores, I see no way to visualize their waveform in the Premiere Elements audio tracks. Double clicking a Timeline Music Score brings up the Score Properties dialog and not the Preview Window to inspect the waveform.

When "non Music Score" music is imported into Premiere Elements, it goes through a conforming process which automatically generates the cfa (audio) file and pek (waveform in audio track) file. And, these files are characterized by a waveform visible on the audio track with the appropriate audio display format. For each audio conformed, there are two files generated by the program, cfa (audio) and pek (related to waveform seen in the audio track).

When you drag a Music Score to the Premiere Elements 13 soundtrack, first you see "Generating" and "Conforming" and then Score Property dialog .When all is said and done, the Music Score is in the audio track with no waveform. If you go looking in the Media Cache Folder to determine if a cfa and pek set exist there after use of one Music Score (Drama in this example), you should find that the Drama conforming process generated 71, not 2 files, representing cfa and pek sets.

With regard to hard drive space...1 non Music Score file's conformed audio files might be expected to take up about 68.2 MB while one Music Score file's conformed audio files might

be expected to take up 263 MB.

Please take a look at what you have in the way of conformed audio in the Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Common

Media Cache Files Folder

At this time I do not know the explanation for the absence of waveform in the Music Score representation on the Timeline audio track. Need to do more homework on that.

Please let me know if you confirm my observations above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave W

Add On...Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 13/13.1 are the versions with the Music Score files.

Premiere Elements 11 is the last to use the SmartSound files which are the same in concept s Music Score but they are not the same.

The SmartSound files do present on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline audio tracks with waveform. And, double clicking the SmartSound file

does bring up its Preview Window.

ATR

• 7. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                      psbn Level 1

Thank you for your diligence, I will be looking at this more in the morning.

Dave W.

---Original Message

• 8. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                        psbn Level 1

I have attached 2 screen shots,one by date and one by size. does this help?

• 11. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave W

Thanks for the screenshot.

The Media Cache Files Folder was emptied, I added Music Score Drama to the Timeline, and, after its Generating/Conforming/ Score Property, this is what the Media Cache Files Folder looked like.

I suspect that your Folder Options is set to hide file extensions....for Drama

Dramapek.JPG

ATR

• 12. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                            psbn Level 1

When I saw the size, I was hoping to delete them. That shouldnt be a problem right? I assume the music would go away if used in any project. Thats ok,in this learning/dicovery process.

Dave W

• 13. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                              psbn Level 1

I have good news and bad news. I discovered a workaround that works. Music score was layed down on audio 1,then generic video from some clips I shot. Listened to the project and still had skips ,one,maybe 2 frames every few seconds. So the project was saved. Then I opened a new project and added that to the project assets. Then slapped that down on video 1 and audio 1 and it worked fine. no skips.

The bad news,its a work around not a fix. Still cant pull it directly in to a project. Bonus points...doing my workaround now gives you a waveform monitor.

Any thoughts,

Dave W

• 14. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave W

Good about the good news.

But, please clarify your workaround...I follow you where you have the Music Score on Audio Track 1 (no waveform) and some video clips on

Video Track 1. Next you say that you saved that project. How did you get the content from that project into the new project? You cannot import one

project file (.prel) into another. Did you mean that you exported the Timeline content from the original project to a file saved to the computer hard drive

and then imported that into the new project?

The pro for that seems to be no more audio skips, but the con seems to be that the audio no longer is governed by the SmartSound/Music Score concept.

Do the perks of now seeing a waveform and the audio having no skips become the major factors?

Interesting developments.

ATR

• 15. Re: Is there a waveform monitor for the audio track in premier elements 13?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave W

Whenever you import an audio file into a project, the project automatically generates conformed audio files in the Media Cache Files Folder.

But, the project automatically generates them again if and when needed. I have not seen it possible to turn off the video or audio conforming

that the project automatically does with the imports.

The rest of the details on those Music Scores and how and when they present in the Media Cache Files Folder is more to add to the story.

Hope to do some more looks into that.

A side note...if you go to archive the project (File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project option) and you have Music Score(s) in that project, you get hit with a large load of Music Score copied files (loads per each Music Store used) along with the copy of the project file in the resulting Copied Folder.

ATR