11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 5:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?

Cookie_monster_27

I have premier elements 9 and am using it on a mac

I found adobe itself to be very unhelpful with this and find there customer service and support to be rather bad, so hopefully someone else can help me.

When i opened up a devious project, all my media was offline. So i tried to link the media. However, when i try to do this it does not work. I click the required file and the box disappears, but then reappears asking for the same file. no matter how many times i click the file, it will not link. the files themselves are fine and working properly, but within the timeline they do not work. I do not want to start over. Please help.

• 1. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cookie

Media offline when you reopen a saved closed project suggests at least two things

1. On the hard drive, you have moved, deleted, or renamed source files that were used in the project after you saved closed

the project. When you import your source files into the project, all you get are copies of the originals. But those copies must

trace back to the originals at the hard drive save location where they were at the time of import.

2. Are you saving the originalsl to an external hard drive? If so, the drive letter may have changed since the time you imported

the originals into the project.

Either way, are you getting "Where is the file____?" message (s), each specifically naming the file that it wants? If so, you use

those message(s) to point the message to where you know the file is saved.

Please review and consider, and then we can decide what next?

Media reconnect problems can get very complicated depending on the circumstances.

ATR

• 2. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?
            Cookie_monster_27 Level 1

Hello

I have not changed or moved the files in anyway, and the project is saved on the internal hard drive.

The clips have not been moved or changed in anyway, everything is exactly the same as when i started the project, only it says the media is offline

• 3. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cookie_monster

Thanks for the reply.

When you go to open the project that is presenting with media offline are you getting  "Where is the file_____" message?

If so, have you been using those messages to get the reconnects? Is that the method that you described in thread question?

How many files do you have that are pointed to by the program as being offline?

If the "Where is the file _____message?" is not working for the reconnects, then please try the Replace Footage feature described

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Replace Footage

We will be watching for your reply and then move forward on this accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?

When i open my project, it opens fine, however all media is offline. The where is the file ___ message does not show up, i have to double click on a clip from the timeline for it to pop up, and there is no other way that i know of to get this message. however, when i try to link the clips, it repeatedly asks me for the same clip on a loop until i cancel.

There are 6 files that are missing, which make up the whole project.

• 5. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Cookie_monster

Thanks for the reply.

If all you have are 6 files then this should not be as time assuming as if there were more than 6.

Let us go over the reconnect activities to determine if we can spot anything in that process that may be creating problems....

1. When you open your project as described, you should be seeing a sequence of 6 "Where is the file _____?" messages, each with a specifically named file. You are not. So, let us move on.

2. In the opened project with the colorful Media Offline displays, double click the first Timeline clip on the Timeline to bring up the "Where is the file ___?" message which is then looking for that first clip by the exact file name of the clip. From the dialog that appears, browse to and select that specifically named clip. Hit Select. The Timeline Media Offline display should then be replaced by an image from that first clip.

Repeat that for clips 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Is that exactly what you have been doing and still not getting rid of the missing media situation?

ATR

• 6. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?

yes thats exactly what i have been doing. Although once i hit select, the dialogue box comes up again straight away asking for the same clip and the clips have not been replaced

• 7. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Cookie_monster

Thanks for the follow up.

If you open a new project, using these same 6 files, and save close the project, does the project re-opened with the missing media issue?

If so, then let us try deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not work, deletion of the whole 9.0 Folder in

which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder

in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Folder exists. Make sure to be working from Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives

enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Please review and consider, and let us know if any of the above had any impact on the issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?

As soon as i try to upload the files, it comes up with a message saying something along the lines of "the importer is having an issue importing these files'

• 9. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cookie_,monster

Thanks for the reply.

Did you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and even the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists? And, the suggestions did not make a difference on your issue?

And, did you get the same results as before when I asked you to look at

If you open a new project, using these same 6 files, and save close the project, does the project re-opened with the missing media issue?

Are you saying that you could not import any of the 6 files into the new project even to start the project?

If so, please make copies of the 6 files and move them to a place on the Local Disk C. Then start you new project, importing the files into the new project from the new Local Disk C location and determine if you can then import the 6 in the new project.

Please remind me what the properties are for these 6 files.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?

thanks for all your help. I don't believe there is anyway to get the old clips back and it sounds like i would have to start over again, so i have just re uploaded the clips to my computer and I'm going to start again freshly.

Thanks for your help

• 11. Re: Media link for elements 9 will not work. please help?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cookie_monster

Thanks for the update.

As your schedule permits, please let us know the outcome when you reload the 6 files to the computer and start again with a new

Premiere Elements project.

Your latest report would suggest that something has happened to those files at the computer hard drive save location if you

could not get them imported into a new project. Please take a closer look at the storage drive as well as anything that could have

impacted the photos while on that drive. Were all the file names there intact including down to the period before the file extension

being in place?

Best wishes

ATR