10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 11:07 PM by D Fosse

Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS

rgy74

Today I updated Photoshop CC and now I have a slight color shift problem between the same image open in ACR and then opened in Photoshop. It appears to be slightly more saturated in ACR.

I have tried the same thing on another computer and it does NOT have the same problem so it must have been something that happened in the update (ACR was one of the items updated). I have also compared the preferences between the two computers and they are identical.

I guess the next thing to do is to deinstall PS and reinstall????

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any difference between ACR and Photoshop is most likely due to a monitor profile problem. They both use the same monitor profile, but there are differences in the actual conversion so a problem can show up differently between them.

Is your monitor calibrated/profiled, and if so how, using what calibrator? Or are you using the Windows default (sRGB), or perhaps you got a bad manufacturer profile through Windows Update? (yes, that happens frequently).

To find out if the monitor profile is indeed the problem, go to Control Panel > Color Management > Devices. Set sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as default profile (if it isn't already), then relaunch Photoshop/Bridge and see if the difference is still there. If your monitor is wide gamut, use Adobe RGB instead.

display_profile_5.png

Note that this doesn't fix the problem as such, but if you don't have a calibrator sRGB will usually be close enough until you decide to get one.

If you do have and use a calibrator, make sure it is set to make v2 profiles, not v4, and matrix rather than LUT profiles.

• 2. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS
            rgy74 Level 1

This is occurring on a computer system I am building for long road trips. It has two monitors: 1 is the native 17 inch on a Dell Precision M6700 Laptop and 2 is a new NECPA242w which I have just added to the laptop via the Display Port.

Before (on just the laptop display) I used an xrite i1 profiler, and when I added the NECPA242W I used the i1 using the NEC spectra view program to set the profile. (I have a desktop setup using a large NEC monitor and a dell monitor and have had no problems with the color shift on it).

In the control panel the Laptop display shows the old K6PJ1-173WF1.icm ICC profile and the NEC shows the profile PA242W........ which the Spectra view set up. I am using the NEC monitor for the images and the laptop just for panels.

I was viewing the ACR and the resulting PS image both on the NEC display. The resulting PS image seems correct and the ACR image seems too saturated and has other color shifts. Also if I develop in LR and then open in PS there is no color shift and the LR raw processing looks correct on the NEC.

Could the ACR be using the laptop profile and PS and LR be using the desired NEC profile---if so how do I tell ACR to use the NEC profile?

I wonder why the desktop setup with two different monitors does not have the same problem--maybe the two profiles are close enough I have not noticed it before?

Thanks for such a wonderful response--I was at the point of desperation.Thanks Thanks

• 3. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS

rgy74 wrote:

Could the ACR be using the laptop profile and PS and LR be using the desired NEC profile---if so how do I tell ACR to use the NEC profile?

It almost sounds as if it does, although I don't see how off the top of my head.

But you can check this quite easily. Just open an sRGB image in PS, and assign Adobe RGB. Does that give the same saturation boost? Using the laptop profile on the PA242 would produce exactly this effect, since the PA is wide gamut.

If that's not it, it's probably down to some property of the Spectraview profile that ACR doesn't like. I haven't used Spectraview II in a while, so I can't recall where (or if) you can choose between v2 and v4 profiles, or between LUT and matrix. In any case, the safest bet is v2 matrix. I'm seeing quite a few problems with LUT profiles in ColorNavigator, so I stopped using it.

• 5. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS

Just as a test, set Adobe RGB as system default for the PA (as per the screenshot above). Still different?

• 6. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS
                  rgy74 Level 1

I set up as Adobe RGB  as system default and rebooted the computer and still has the exact color shift. I will try some more things and phone NEC—they have good tech support.

Many many thanks

• 7. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS
                    rgy74 Level 1

You got It!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I change BOTH the laptop display and the NEC display to the Adobe RGB ICC profile there is no color shift and the only color is the bad offset color. Hmmmm so I wonder what to do to get profiled??? Think I will phone NEC.

But Many Many thanks!!!

• 8. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS

OK, that's at least some progress. So somehow ACR is apparently picking up the wrong profile.

Are you moving applications around on the displays? It shouldn't matter, but maybe it does here. I don't know, I suppose I'd start by reprofiling both displays and make sure the configuration doesn't change.

Anyone else have any ideas?

• 9. Re: Color shift between image viewed in ACR and open in PS
                        rgy74 Level 1

NEC solved the problem

Evidently the monitor needs an initial profile installed in Windows—even though Windows says that it has the latest monitor driver etc. etc. . With this and a recalibration of the monitor everything works well.

Thanks again for the help solving this and putting me on the right track.