2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 4:31 PM by Michael Rochefort

10-bit Support from GeForce Card?

Michael Rochefort Level 1

I've had Photoshop CC 2014 on my system for a while, and I was surprised to see an option for 30-bit color in the preferences. I have a GeForce GTX 970, and I thought 10-bit color was reserved for those with Quadro/FirePro cards. I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro with a 10-bit 2K BenQ CAD/CAM monitor connected with DP. With this option enabled, am I actually getting 10-bit color, or is it just ignoring that preference?

Thanks!

Mike

• 1. Re: 10-bit Support from GeForce Card?
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't pop the champagne right away. The pearly gate to 10-bit heaven is still not opening.

That checkbox just means Photoshop will deliver on its end, but the rest of the chain needs to be there as well. I can check that box too, but I know I don't have the video card for it although everything else is ready.

Quadro / FirePro still applies. There were rumors of the "high-end" Radeons getting 10-bit support, but that was based on a beta driver and never came to anything AFAIK.

Even when it all supposedly works, it's not all it's cranked up to be: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1295887  (from post 17 and down). With a good monitor/calibration system banding is a non-issue anyway.

• 2. Re: 10-bit Support from GeForce Card?
            Michael Rochefort Level 1

I'm too young to drink

Thanks for the info though. I believed it was false becuase NVIDIA site says 10-bit only in DirectX environment. Oh well, you learn something new every day! Thanks again!