1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 2:31 PM by RoninEdits

What is best mac mini for easy video editing? Late 2012 quad-core or late 2014 double core?

AltaiZ

Hi!

I want to buy Mac mini and don't know which one is best for me. Please don't tell me to buy anything else, because it is my choise. I only need to know what is better:

Upgradable late 2012 version with quad core i7, 2.3GHz, 8gb of RAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000

or

Non-upgradable late 2014 version with dual core i5, 2.6 GHz, 8 gb of RAM and Iris graphic card.

I do short videos with a few effects, transactions, fades, titles, sometimes add CC. So which Mac mini do you recommend, guys?

• 1. Re: What is best mac mini for easy video editing? Late 2012 quad-core or late 2014 double core?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

as a windows/premiere user i can only speak to the hardware. 8gb ram in either should be fine for short & simple projects. the i7 is alot better, however the hd graphics 4000 is not as good as the iris and may require running the mercury engine as software only. this means no using the video card to help premiere run faster. anything outside of premiere using the cpu for day to day tasks would also appreciate the i7.  depending on the model of the iris graphics, it may be a couple times faster than the hd 4000 and therefore might work in premiere. according to adobe it lists the Intel Iris Graphics 5100 and 5200 as working  System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro  if you get into other adobe apps, the graphics wont matter as much and the i7 will run faster.  it is faster video vs faster cpu, which to pick...