2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2007 5:43 PM by countonme99

Cut and paste bitmap, this is killing me

t-bone678765
      Okay so here's the deal, i'm just trying to figure out how to cut and paste bitmap selections. I realize that in the fireworks help it just tells you to make a marquee selection, cut, and paste. this works sometimes, most of the time it doesn't though. A lot of the time it cuts and pasts a marquee selection that's free floating, so when i move it it just moves on top of the bitmap, and doesn't move the pixels within the selection. Also, sometime when i'm doing this multiple times, i'll cut and paste sucessfully, and then try it again, cut, and when i paste it pastes the previous selection even though i just supposedly cut a new one, AHHH. Then also someitmes when i paste, i just get the marquee line pasted, and i can't do anything with other tools until i hit escape, though i don't know why.
      Also when i try to reshape it with the distort or skew tool, there's no telling what will happen. Sometimes the selection reshapes, sometimes just the marquee line, who knows. there is no help in the fireworks help i've read the whole thing. Someone who knows please give me a rundown on how to do this sucessfully .
        • 1. Re: Cut and paste bitmap, this is killing me
          Level 7
          It might be helpful for you too look at the Layers Panel while doing all
          this.
          alex

t-bone678765 wrote:
          > Okay so here's the deal, i'm just trying to figure out how to cut and paste
          > bitmap selections. I realize that in the fireworks help it just tells you to
          > make a marquee selection, cut, and paste. this works sometimes, most of the
          > time it doesn't though. A lot of the time it cuts and pasts a marquee
          > selection that's free floating, so when i move it it just moves on top of the
          > bitmap, and doesn't move the pixels within the selection. Also, sometime when
          > i'm doing this multiple times, i'll cut and paste sucessfully, and then try it
          > again, cut, and when i paste it pastes the previous selection even though i
          > just supposedly cut a new one, AHHH. Then also someitmes when i paste, i just
          > get the marquee line pasted, and i can't do anything with other tools until i
          > hit escape, though i don't know why.
          > Also when i try to reshape it with the distort or skew tool, there's no
          > telling what will happen. Sometimes the selection reshapes, sometimes just the
          > marquee line, who knows. there is no help in the fireworks help i've read the
          > whole thing. Someone who knows please give me a rundown on how to do this
          > sucessfully .
          >
          • 2. Re: Cut and paste bitmap, this is killing me
            countonme99
            The marquee tool has been a pain for me too, but I found if you make your selection with it, then click the subselection tool you can then move the selection at will. Once you stop it drops a copy of the pixels there, and if you move again, it copies to your next stopping point. It has been working for me this way. To skew, etc, try copy and pasting to a new document, then copy/paste back to your original doc. It will then appear as a separate bitmap to do with what you will. I think this is a more reliable way to deal with it.
            Hope this is useful to you.