2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2015 8:58 AM by jarmor33578971

Premiere Elemenents 13 frequent crashes

jarmor33578971

Hi,

I just moved to Premiere Elements 13. I am getting crashes all the time when trying to just view my timeline video. It is really unusable because almost everything makes it to crash. I used Premiere Elements 11 before and did not see this many problems. I upgraded to 13.1 but it did not help. My video is just 8 minutes long.

It is very hard to specify what is the reason for the crash. When I view the timeline it always crashes at the same spot. Except when I removed the clip and reinserted it then it run fine once until the next clip. And the second time it crashed again in the original spot. This clip was from Fuji X-T1. I have similar problem with GoPro HERO 3 video but it is later in the timeline so I do not see it if I start from the beginning. Not all clips crash it. Crash always stops Premiere Elements. I got past this one crash by converting the footage from .mov to .mp4 but I keep hitting the same problem in other places with both .mov and .mp4 files.

Also when I try to export media I get an unknown error dialog. System does not crash but export fails. I used YouTube HD format for the export. I have not tried other formats yet.

I am using Windows 7 and Lenovo W520 laptop with 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of disk.

I would be very happy to hear any ideas what to try to fix the problem. I have tried laptop reboots and clearing the cache but it did not help. I guess I need to move back to version 11 but that is kind of a wrong answer because then I paid for nothing when upgrading to 13. Btw I upgraded in a hope to get better image stabilization for those shaky GoPro videos. But I learned that the format used in my GoPro videos is different than project format (1920x1440 vs 1920x1080) so the Premiere stabilizer cannot be used.

Thanks,

Jarmo

• 1. Re: Premiere Elemenents 13 frequent crashes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jarmp

How many different formats do you have on that one Premiere Elements 13 Timeline?

If you are letting the project set the project settings automatically based on the properties of the first file that you drag to the Timeline, Files dragged to the Timeline after that, even though they have different formats, will be governed by the project settings established based on the first drag. What is the format of the first file dragged to your Timeline?

You wrote

But I learned that the format used in my GoPro videos is different than project format (1920x1440 vs 1920x1080) so the Premiere stabilizer cannot be used.

There is no 1920 x 1440. So, I am assume your are referring to 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. From what I have read, the Fuji is probably recording H.264.mov as 1920 x 1080 16:9.

If the Fuji video is dragged to the Timeline first, then your project settings will be for 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 or 25.progressive frames per second. If the GoPro video is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 and dragged to the Timeline first, then your project settings will be for 1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 or 25 interlaced frames per second.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13? If you have been working with Premiere Elements 11, assume you have? Please confirm.

Going through the usual drill

a. Do the problems exist with or without the anti-virus and firewall(s) disabled?

b. Are you using a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

c. What does the Device Manager/Display Adapters list as your video card/graphics card and is the card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? How many cards, 1 or 2?

d. If you create a project with just Fuji or just GoPro, do you have the same problems as with the project with both formats in the same project?

e. Look at working with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher preference disabled. See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elemenents 13 frequent crashes
            jarmor33578971 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I have three different formats in the timeline. Fuji X-T1 is 1920x1080 60fps, GoPro Hero3 black is the unknown 1920x1440 48fps (sorry, this is my friends GoPro so I do not have the details expect what I get from profile) and Canon S110 is 1920x1080 24fps. Project default is PAL format and it says 1920x1080 60fps.

First format dragged to the timeline must have been Fuji 1920x1080 60fps.

I have the latest Quicktime, I just installed it a few days ago.

For the other issues

a. I have not tried without anti-virus of firewall. I guess I should but it makes the editing difficult. I have Symactec anti-virus installed.

b. I use a mouse.

c. Display adapters are Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA Quadro 1000M. I have only one card (this is Lenovo W520 laptop). NVIDIA driver seem to be the latest one. I could not access the Intel pages to see the status of that. Intel driver date is 1/29/2014,

d. I have not tried to create other projects yet.

e. I tried without Intel hardware graphics accelerator and it crashed. I just click the timeline pointer (or current position) to different locations and it crashed after a few clicks.

Regards,

Jarmo