4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 10:57 AM by Vonzar

Ram Preview won't start when Render multiple frames simultaneously enabled

Vonzar

Hello everyone,

I have an issue with rendering AE CC , with my new PC computer in Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit

As the title says , my issue is Ram Preview won't start when Render multiple frames simultaneously enabled. Actually it starts after 8 -30 seconds depending of project complexity and the rendering is slower and skipping frames !

12 cores with 2 GB ram each.

When I disable the option of multiple frames simultaneously render starts ok.

but it's really very sad that I can't use this beast of CPU in full potential. its an new intel i7 5930K , 32 Ram DDR4 2.4 Ghz

Any advice and options would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vonzar.

Setup:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

CPU : Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5 GHz Six Core Socket 2011-3 140W Box

GPU : nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB DDR5 PCI-E

RAM : 32GB DDR4 Non ECC CL16 2400MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport

Mother board : Asrock x99 extreme 6

• 1. Re: Ram Preview won't start when Render multiple frames simultaneously enabled
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Using all 12 cores never makes sense. It's slow because the footage I/O and the disk cache are killing all bandwidth plus of course there may be effects and features used that simply don't work well with MP.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Ram Preview won't start when Render multiple frames simultaneously enabled
            Vonzar Level 1

Thank you for your reply Mylenium.

Well I noticed that actually the footage render faster. It was the skipping frames that confused me.

MP render is faster than SP , but it takes many seconds to initialize the render. from 8 to 30 seconds depending the project.

Now I also see that parts that are rendered with MP , after I stop the render the green bar is missing from various parts that were rendered in MP.

SP is not having that problem , keeps the whole green rendered parts.

Any advice for proper settings ?

Thank you very much once more.

• 3. Re: Ram Preview won't start when Render multiple frames simultaneously enabled
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have any render or preview problems just turn off MP because, first, it only works with certain specific effects and codecs, and 2, it causes more problems that it solves most of the time. I only turn on MP rendering when I know for sure that it will speed up my workflow.

You should have a multiple of 4 GB assigned to AE and Other apps and an even number of cores. If you are using MP rendering make sure that the number of actual cores used makes sense and that there are an even number of cores assigned to other applications. Most important of all, don't spend hours trying to tweak MP rendering to save a few seconds in a render. Follow these general guidelines and then run a short test to see if it works. If you project involves any temporal effects at all turn it off.

Here is an example of the MP settings for a 4 year old Mac Mini that actually work for some projects, but most of the time it is turned off.

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 8.13.17 AM.png

I should say that I can allocate 3 GB of ram per background CPU and still see 2 as the actual CPU's that will be used but this little Mac Mini works better with 2 selected. Setting the RAM allocation to 4 GB drops Actual CPU's to 0

BTW, I use the mac mini to record most of my tutorials because I figure that if I do a tutorial that will run OK on a Mac Mini, then anyone with an adequate system should be able to follow along without any problems.

• 4. Re: Ram Preview won't start when Render multiple frames simultaneously enabled
                Vonzar Level 1

Rick I thank you for your kind reply and detailed info.

I have tried to lower the Cores from 12 to 6 . Now it's working better , with 2 GB to each core.

The new problem is that the rendered Green bar is lost after I stop and continue the preview ram. It starts from zero.!!!

Another weird behavior is that the 2nd time I preview ram the render goes to a point and then the progress disappears . However after I stop the preview ram it shows that the preview was happening under the program ? (I know it's weird) but the green bar again is lost after i stop.

I have a feeling since my computer is the latest technology , AE has issues of compatibility .

They need to fix all these weird stuff going on. My older PC a quadcore is working very good with AE 6 , but it's an 7 years machine and it's rendering very slow.

I have seen many same like issues of mine with other users happening in this forum or Creative Cow. Adobe has great programs but can't upkeep with the technology

changes. They have stayed far behind. There are countless reports of this same issue and for some reason Adobe is not able to fix.