2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2015 8:44 AM by Rick Gerard

Rotation Limited

devashishd2508995

I've created a comp (duration 1:06:00 Hr) with plexus; it includes a sphere that should continuously rotate in X axis from start to end.

I tried using "time" expression to define the degree of rotation (example: X=time*50), but the sphere only rotates for 5 min and stops

I must say I'm pretty much a beginner with AE and therefore my knowledge with all the expressions are fairly limited.

any help on this issue will be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Rotation Limited
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Issue explained:

Steady Wave | Mylenium's Stuff

Otherwise simply render a short clip, reimport it and and repeat it infinitely with the footage interpretation settings.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rotation Limited
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some properties have limits and you are probably running into that limit. AE is not very well suited to a composition that is an hour and six minutes long unless there's only a layer or two. I'm not sure exactly what you are doing but there's a much better way to create a rotating sphere that will run as long as you want it to run. Use a loop.

I would create a comp that is the size of the sphere, say 200 X 200 pixels and gives the sphere time to rotate one time. Let's say that you want the sphere to take 4 seconds to complete one revolution. Set a keyframe for rotation at frame zero, then go to the end of the comp and set the rotation to 1 rotation or 360º. Here comes the track for creating a loop. You have to select the last keyframe and move it one more frame to the right or you have to reduce the length of your composition by one frame. If you do not then the first and last frame, which have identical position will repeat and your loop will have a glitch. If I'm creating a comp that I want to loop I usually just open the comp settings and subtract one frame from the length. If I am setting up a loop on a layer I'll just move the CTI back one frame, set a new keyframe, and delete the last one.

When you have a perfect loop setup using either method the easiest thing to do would be render this small comp to a suitable DI and import it into the composition and then set the footage to loop with file interpretation. You could also just drag the rotating sphere comp into your main comp and enable time remapping, go to the end keyframe and you'll notice that you have an empty frame, then move back one frame, then set another keyframe there, delete the last keyframe and add the expression: loopOut() to time remapping. Now move the CTI to the end of your composition and set a new out point for your globe. Your globe will render faster and loop forever.

BTW, if you are adding a rotating globe to an hour long video it would be better to render a DI, set the DI to loop in Premiere Pro and render there. It will go much faster.

Here's a CS6 sample project for you to look at. Zimple as can be . . . The key successful projects is to always look for the easiest and fastest way to do things.

(note: Dropbox will likely add a .txt extension to the .aep file when you download it. Just remove the .txt and you should be able to open the project. You can avoid this problem by right clicking on the drop box link and select "save file as")