6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2015 8:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Volume Leveling

twinturbo4486

Is there a "Volume Leveling" option with Premiere Elements?    I recently purchased Premiere Elements 13 and I am still learning to use it.  The previous program I used had a volume leveling option that automatically leveled out the volume of a clip so all the sounds produced were leveled out pretty close to the same volume level. 

Basically I run a YouTube channel and I sit closer to our camera than my friend does.  My voice comes through a LOT louder than his and I want to level this out.   I can't just adjust the audio level of the clip because that just increases or decreases the volume of both our voices.    I've tried internet searching and couldn't find anything.    I want to avoid manually having to turn the volume up or down when both of us speak because that would be way too much work as our videos are usually 30min-1hour.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Volume Leveling
          twinturbo4486 Level 1

I ran into another problem.    While waiting for a response to this I was going to edit some footage I took on my phone the other day.   It's a Samsung Galaxy S4 and records in 1080p.   Once I started editing everything was fine and now the audio and video are out of sync as I got about 5 minutes into editing the video.   

• 2. Re: Volume Leveling
            A.T. Romano Level 7

twinturbo4486

In Premiere Elements 13, you can right click the Timeline audio and select Audio Gain from the pop up  menu that appears. This will bring up the Clip Gain dialog which includes a Normalize button. Is that what you used in a prior version?

When you establish your volume, do you do that with the Audio Meter on. See Window Menu/Audio Meters.

Premiere Elements (many versions) has a problem with video that is recorded with a variable instead of a constant frame rate. The problem ranges from audio out of sync to not being able to import the a file at all. A typical remedy is to take the video into a free program such as HandBrake and export your video from there a H.264.mp4 with constant instead of variable frame rate.

https://handbrake.fr/

I will provide a step by step how to if necessary.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Volume Leveling
              twinturbo4486 Level 1

Hey thank you for the help A.T. Romano.    I will try the normalize feature and hopefully that will work.   I did not use a prior version of elements, I used a completely different editing program that had a "Volume Leveling" option which leveled out the voice of myself and my friend.

I did download handbrake and it's producing the video at a "constant" framerate now so hopefully that works.    Thanks a lot!

• 4. Re: Volume Leveling
                A.T. Romano Level 7

twinturbo4486

Thanks for the follow up.

As your schedule permits, please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Volume Leveling
                  twinturbo4486 Level 1

"Normalizing" worked great.  Thank you for that.   However, handbrake did not fix my problem for the audio/video not being in sync.   It starts off fine but gets worse as the video goes along.   I used handbrake to re-produce it as a "constant" framerate and that didn't fix it. 

I left the default H.264 setting for the codec.  Would it help to change that to MPEG-4?

• 6. Re: Volume Leveling
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

twinturbo4486

Thanks for the update. Great news that the "Normalizing" worked for you.

As for the audio out of sync, were you listening to the Timeline content (video and its linked audio) rendered or unrendered? Was there an orange

line over the video content when you were doing the listening?

Are you confident about using HandBrake for the conversion of variable to constant frame rate?

Also, what did you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project preset for the GalaxyS4's 1080p. Assuming NTSC setup,

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings there for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, and let

us know what those readings are.

Thank you.

ATR