2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 2:46 AM by Karsten Wind

Should I postpone the purchase of new iMac 5k?

Karsten Wind Level 1

I am currently considering purchasing a new iMac 27" retina 5k to run Lightroom. There is a lot of discussions of issues with the 5k screen and Lightroom especially regarding performance. Should I postpone the purchase of the new iMac because of these performance issues or are the benefits of the higher resolution screen worth the upgrade. I am currently using a iMac 27" non retina model.

• 1. Re: Should I postpone the purchase of new iMac 5k?
          Steveatesh Level 1

This depends entirely upon what you want the computer for.

I Have a base model retina iMac and i believe the negative comments have been over stated. I use Lightroom on it virtually daily and whilst there is a slight lag on some tools ( eg crop) it is very very useable.

The screen real estate makes up for everything in my opinion, it truly is fabulous to use.

at the same time remember that there are other programs which indicate the occasional lag is actually down to Lightroom rather than the computer. For example I tried Aftershot Pro 2 and Capture One Pro 8 and both were great on the Retina iMac.

THe screen itself is also leaps and bounds over anything else I have used for other computer use, such as documents and internet where the text is crisp and so so easy to read.

balance off the fact that far more people will write negative stuff on any forum than positives. LR 6 is supposed to be addressing the performance of the program in any case.

personally no regrets here about my choice of computer.

• 2. Re: Should I postpone the purchase of new iMac 5k?
            Karsten Wind Level 1

Thanks. You are right. There is often far more negative comments on these forums and life is too short to sit and wait for things to be perfect. One new iMac has been ordered.