4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 4:49 AM by GaryWB

Consistency in softproofing for print and web

GaryWB

Hi. I have been softproofing some images which I intend to sell on my website. when I softproof for print and web use they end up looking markedly different. How do I ensure consistency and that the prints my customers receive will be the same as those they view on my website? Thanks GB

• 1. Re: Consistency in softproofing for print and web
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You shouldn't see any more differences that those caused by gamut clipping in sRGB versus the print profile - if there are general color shifts something isn't quite right.

But this depends on the material. If you have a lot of strong saturated colors clipping may have a significant impact.

Your monitor plays a part in this too. If you have a wide gamut monitor soft proofing can be useful, but if you don't it's more or less a waste of time, because everything you see on screen will be clipped to (near) sRGB anyway. You could say it's already soft proofed to sRGB. Most inkjet printers extend well beyond sRGB, at least in some color areas.

Can you show examples? If your monitor is wide gamut, it might be a good idea to convert the screenshots to Adobe RGB, after first assigning your monitor profile. This way any clipping will be more evident to those who have wide gamut displays, and it will be seen exactly as you see it on your monitor.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Consistency in softproofing for print and web
            GaryWB Level 1

Thanks twenty one. There are a lot of strong saturated colours in the images. I think i'm probably overcomplicating it and will try uploading some of the images I have soft proofed for printing and see how different they are. I haven't done this before and was trying to do everything by the book. Thanks. GB

• 3. Re: Consistency in softproofing for print and web
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll have to decide on a case by case basis. Usually the profile will handle the clipping well and there's no need to worry about it too much. Other times you get real texture and detail loss, and then you'd consider more elaborate gamut remapping (perhaps going to Photoshop to do it).

But again, a standard gamut monitor, where everything will be hard clipped to sRGB, can be misleading.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Consistency in softproofing for print and web
                GaryWB Level 1

Okay. Thanks twenty one. I'll give it a go. GB