6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2007 12:22 AM by Newsgroup_User

newbie in 3d, please help

Level 7
      Hi.

I'm experianced director programmer but totally new to 3D features
      Now I have to use it in my project and I need a small example or or good
      tutorial

I have a lot of parallelepiped-Objects on the screen, they are stored like
      boxes in the warehouse - N rows x M columns build one "layer", there can
      be a couple of layers stored on each other

each parallelepiped is single sprite, that have to responce to
      useractions(mouseover, mouseclick etc)

What I need is to move camera arount and look on this structure of
      parallelepipeds from all sides.

I would very appreciate, if someone can point me to some example, which
      shows this. It would be enough when there are 2 different objects on the
      stage and the user can move the point of view to the left or to the right
      so, that we can make complete circle around of this 2 separate
      objects(sprites)

Any help will be appreciated

Orest

• 1. Re: newbie in 3d, please help
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          You say "each parallelepiped is single sprite". Do you mean a 2D sprite, or a 3D model?

Here is a demonstration of two objects that react to mouse over and click-and-drag, and where you can use the arrow keys to rotate the camera around the objects: http://nonlinear.openspark.com/tips/3D/dragmodel/. If you replace the 3D member with your own, and adapt the "Turn Model" behavior, you should be able to use the same framework with your layers of objects.
          • 2. Re: newbie in 3d, please help
            Level 7
            Hi openspark

Thank you very much for an answer

that example is not really the same what I need (or probably i don't suppose
            that this is the right way)

I have one 3D-Castmember with single parallelepided in it
            From this castmember I want to create 2 or more sprites on the stage, each
            of them becames different texture on top side(surface)

The question is: can I have single camera and rotate around of all these
            sprites to see the construction from different sides?

Or do i have to create copies of parallelepideds in on single 3D member and
            rotate a camera there?

I know this question can be stupid, but I'm totally new to it and need to
            find the right way to mamage the situation

I would very appreciate any answer

"openspark" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:erj6da$4qq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > You say "each parallelepiped is single sprite". Do you mean a 2D sprite,
            or a
            > 3D model?
            >
            > Here is a demonstration of two objects that react to mouse over and
            > click-and-drag, and where you can use the arrow keys to rotate the camera
            > around the objects: http://nonlinear.openspark.com/tips/3D/dragmodel/. If
            you
            > replace the 3D member with your own, and adapt the "Turn Model" behavior,
            you
            > should be able to use the same framework with your layers of objects.
            >

• 3. Re: newbie in 3d, please help
              Here's a tutorial on how to create several cameras in a single member, and use a different camera for each of four sprites created from that member: http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1140. Is this more like what you are looking for?
              • 4. Re: newbie in 3d, please help
                Level 7
                No

in the example, you've quoted, there are 4 cameras for the same 3D object

I need ONE common camera for many sprites, that represent the same 3D
                cartmember - as example - you know the game called mahjongg. I will have one
                tile as 3D cartmember with single parallelepiped in it.
                From this castmember I will create some layout with many tiles (each tile
                has to be a single sprite in score).
                For this layout I need one camera which can be moved around of the layout ,
                so the user can see each detail of the layout from the each side of horizon

news:erk8ho$dsm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Here's a tutorial on how to create several cameras in a single member, and
                use
                > a different camera for each of four sprites created from that member:
                > http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1140. Is this more like
                what
                > you are looking for?
                >

• 5. Re: newbie in 3d, please help
                  If you have one camera and many 3D sprites with the same member, all the sprites will look the same (except perhaps for size). Is this what you want?

Are you sure that you want many sprites with the same member, rather than several 3D models in the same 3D member? Perhaps if you post a mock-up or a storyboard of what you are trying to achieve I will understand better.
                  • 6. Re: newbie in 3d, please help
                    Level 7
                    as example - you know the game called mahjongg. I will have one
                    tile as 3D cartmember with single parallelepiped in it.
                    From this castmember I will create some layout with many tiles (each tile
                    has to be a single sprite in score and will get a specific texture).
                    For this layout I need one camera which can be moved around of the layout ,
                    so the user can see each detail of the layout from the each side of horizon

Another example
                    there is a 3Dmember, contaning a tree
                    I want put 2 trees on the screen and move one camera around them (so the
                    user will have an impression he runs i a circle around of this trees)

news:erl5nb$hjh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > If you have one camera and many 3D sprites with the same member, all the
                    > sprites will look the same (except perhaps for size). Is this what you
                    want?
                    >
                    > Are you sure that you want many sprites with the same member, rather than
                    > several 3D models in the same 3D member? Perhaps if you post a mock-up or
                    a
                    > storyboard of what you are trying to achieve I will understand better.
                    >